Austin Digital PM Workshop Notes
Saturday, February 22, 2014, 1-5pm
Happy Cog, Austin, TX
Presented by Brett Harned and Matt Riopelle
70 attendees representing over 50 companies from Texas, Arizona, North Carolina, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania. Not bad for a lilâ€™ old event in Austin, TX!
Project Planning Exercise & Presentations
Project Planning Exercise Takeaways:
- A detailed account of the event, including each teamâ€™s project plan sketch, photos, and attendee observations can be found by searching #dpm2014 on Twitter, or by reviewing the Storify story we created.
- Weâ€™ve also posted our photos on Flickr
- Brett and Mattâ€™s Keynote slides are online as well (theyâ€™re fairly minimal, but a few of you did ask for them!)
We worked alone to create plans for two types of projects: a crazy (maybe unrealistic?) 3 week project, and a larger, 3 month redesign project. If you need a refresher on the scenarios, take another look at them. Some takeaways from the exercise were:
PM Discussion and Q&A:
- As PMs, weâ€™re all doing things a bit differently
- Maybe there is no perfect process, but weâ€™re making processes that work for us
- There are various ways to represent (or sketch) a plan.
- There are ways to incorporate different methodologies into a single digital project
- Project planning collaboratively can actually be fun
Matt and Brett presented on 4 topics and discussed them with the room. PM Tools, Process, Estimating Projects, and Managing Expectations. High level notes can be found in the presentation slides.
We were thrilled by the level of enthusiasm in the room. As weâ€™ve suspected, you folks are excited to discuss all things DPM. Weâ€™d love to keep the conversation going on twitter. Donâ€™t forget to use the hashtag #dpm2014.
Brett pulled together a couple of documents that were referenced in the PM Discussion. Feel free to download his Sample Client Status Report Template and a list of Sample Scoping Questions.