Old Field South Calling all Volunteers!
The OFPOA Board is a completely volunteer board of residents committed to upholding the goals and covenants of our beloved Old Field South. Our board consists of an executive oversight team (President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer) and four functional committees (Communications, Hospitality, Social, Beautification). Board members serve for specified terms, which may be renewed. Although we have no board positions to fill this year, our committees are always looking for volunteers to help us better serve our community.
If you would like to volunteer for one of our committees or would like to be considered for a board position upon the next opening please send an email expressing your interest to the OFSPOA Board at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be considered for future board positions please include a brief bio and indicate why you would like to be nominated for a position, which position you feel qualified for, and second or third choices if there are multiples. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about the positions and their responsibilities. Board members will review the candidates, answer any questions and put a slate of candidates forward for the nominating committee to review. Newly elected members will be announced at the following business meeting / social and invited to the subsequent board meeting to begin their term.
Leads the board by setting the agenda, tone and approach that the board assumes in maintaining and implementing the Old Field South covenants in order to ensure that the community maintains it’s charm, historic sense of wellbeing and adherence to the wants and needs of the members of the community.
• Conducts all board meetings including setting the agenda
• Coordinates and assists all board members with all of their duties
• Oversees all committees and events
• Oversees all expenditures and budgets
• Listens to and works to resolve all member problems, insuring compliance with the
• Interfaces with the community and all third parties as required (agents, attorneys, real
estate developers, etc.)
• Hosts all special events including Annual Business Meeting/Spring Social and Beach Party
• Responds to all correspondence sent to the Association personally or through Corresponding Secretary
• Signs all contracts, written agreements, and obligations on behalf of the
Association with the exception of bank checks
This role requires strong leadership, communication, amicability and interpersonal skills to manage a diversity of strong opinions, comprehensive understanding of financial balance and impact, project planning and community minded activism to represent the needs of the members and to act decisively with respect for all board and community members.
Serves as assistant and deputy to the role of the President, assists in carrying out all of the administration and management of the business side of the Association’s work
• Presides at meetings in the absence of the President
• Assists with carrying out all administration and management of the business side of the Association
• Understands the Association’s structure, responsibilities and procedures for each of the Committees
• Has an understanding of basic parliamentary procedures
• Assists is setting up board meetings including review and development of the agendas
• Attends any third party meetings with the President, ex. attorney, accountant, agents, etc.
• Acts as sounding board for the President; listens to ideas, plans and offers advise when possible
• Participates as an integral part of Executive committee for decision making (budget, projects, board positions, etc.)
• Manages special projects that might come up which are out of the scope of the current committees
• Assists with committee events as required
• Facilitates other board members’ responsibilities as required
This position requires strong administrative focus on detail, a flexibility to manage the changeability of this role in supporting all BOD positions, leadership and mediation skills.
Serves as the chief financial member of the board managing all dues collections, accounting and reconciliation of all expenditures on behalf of the board committees, coordinating with an external accountant for year end tax filing.
• Manages OFSPOA bank account - deposits, withdrawals and reconciliation
• Validates all invoices on behalf of the board committees to confirm they have been approved, pays in timely fashion
• Maintains records of all payments and vendors
• Generates annual dues letter and follow up letters for past due balances; manages spreadsheet for reconciliation of dues received.
• Manages OFSPOA mailbox
• Coordinates information with 3rd Party accountant for tax returns and filing.
• Provides documentation to appropriate parties to ensure that all dues have been paid in order that a clear title can be obtained
•Provides financial reports to our board and community as needed
Financial understanding of basic budgeting is essential to this position as well as a working knowledge of Excel and Word.
Supports the President and Vice President in managing and recording minutes to all
board meetings, circulating for review and finalizing. Maintains the board’s books and
• Takes notes during monthly board meetings
• Transcribes notes into document “OFS minutes” and distributes to all board
• Revises or adds information as needed
• Keeps records of all minutes in the OFSPOA digital drive and hardcopy
• Assists the President or VP with correspondence as needed
• Manages and maintains all board historical records (minutes, form letters, etc.)
Strong verbal and written skills are required as well as good listening and interpreting skills. Timely and accurate reporting are essential.
Works as the liaison between the board and any outside parties on behalf of the President or other executive roles on the board. Responsibilities include but are not necessarily limited to:
• Writing letters on behalf of board members
• Contacting or communicating board business, decisions or inquiries electronically or by phone or post to said parties, ex. Real Estate Agencies, Developers, Local Business, etc
• Sometimes they write letters; other times they are simply the messenger
• Maintains print copies of all correspondence and post digital copy as directed
This role requires strong written and verbal skills, organizational and administrative skills, computer savvy with Excel, PowerPoint and Word
Works to enhance and beautify common environs of OFS including the entrances and islands by creating, managing and maintaining an annual work budget to be approved by the board. The goal is to maintain and enhance the plantings and aesthetics of the above. Additionally, this position strives to engage residents of OFSPOA in projects that unite, in the spirit of cooperation and good will, for the preservation of the Old Field South community.
• Organizes community clean-ups (twice in the spring and twice in the Fall). This includes scheduling, writing up a call for volunteers and subsequent thank you letter, photographing and coordinating with communications chairs to publish/post
• Creating and participating in community events to solve a problem such as the creation of the raised bed brick planter
• Facilitating tree and shrub plantings on common areas that require attention
• Sponsors Community contests ex: ”Beautiful Botanical Mailbox Masterpiece Contest”, Art/Photo contests highlighting the beauty of Old Field South, “A Sense Of Place”(June 2019).
• Coordinates with the Town of Brookhaven for the removal of debris, clearing of drains, fallen trees and other safety concerns such as potholes and road signage
• Manages landscape vendors from selection to implementation; Debris removal, poison ivy/tick management and preservation of native plantings. Presents written quotes and contracts to the board for approval.
• Maintains and cleans the main entrances: Cleans the white signs yearly, weeding, poison ivy removal, vine management, fertilizer, solar light upkeep.
• Decorates the brick entrances and white signs for the seasons and American Holidays
• Responds to residents who have questions or concerns relating to beautification
• Writes and submits reports for board meetings, newsletters and website
Plan, promote, execute and host:
• Annual Social/Business meeting get-together
• Annual beach party
• Occasional community tag sale
• Neighborhood and Community Spirit Events such as Scarecrow Competition
This role includes planning and executing events within a specified budget, identifying and securing event venues, planning food, drinks, and entertainment, all with the support and approval of the board. These positions require good coordination, planning, and execution skills, as well as the ability to find creative ways to deal with budget challenges.
• Develop content for, design, and manage the OFSPOA Newsletter (primary OFSPOA
• Develop content for, design, and manage the OFSPOA website
• Write and send community email notifications of news, reminders, and alerts
• Manages community email list
• Produces a biennial community directory (currently in conjunction with a dedicated
• Shares information related to these tasks with the Board, discusses issues and shares ideas
• Manages the OFS Facebook and Instagram pages
This position does not require website management nor development skills. It does, however, require creativity, excellent writing skills and technical savvy. Creative thinking and community awareness are essential to add content based on community need.
This committee is responsible for meeting and greeting all new community members ensuring that they understand the covenants and receive a welcome gift as well as a copy of the latest homeowners directory.
• Gathers information from the realtors on new community residents
• Welcomes new neighbors in person and presents them with a directory and welcome gift. Informs new neighbors of community activities and how they can participate.
• Explains the history and covenants of OFS and how they are still a current and vital part of the community. Reiterates the necessity of submitting plans to the board for exterior renovations, fences and tree work.
• Answers general questions from residents regarding vendors, services etc.
• Writes up reports for board meetings and newsletters
• Budgets and orders welcoming gifts.
This role requires outgoing personalities to connect and socialize with new homeowners. Timely engagement and delivery of OFS messages.
Thank you and we look forward fo hearing from you!