Sunday night Thoughts At Large was watching “Life, Liberty and Levin”. One of Levin’s guest, Lt. Colonel Allen West, reminded the audience of Thomas Paine’s famous writing commonly called “The Sunshine Patriot”
Since all one has to do to understand what is going on in the present, Thoughts At Large decided to research exactly what was going on in history at the time Thomas Paine wrote “The Sunshine Patriot”.
The American Crisis NUMBER I was written on December 19, 1776, shortly after the battle of Fort Lee and during Washington’s retreat.
The Battle of Fort Lee
November 20, 1776 at Fort Lee, New Jersey
The battle marked the successful invasion of New Jersey by British and Hessian forces and the subsequent general retreat of the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War.
"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Britain, with an army to enforce her tyranny, has declared that she has a right (not only to TAX) but "to BIND us in ALL CASES WHATSOEVER," and if being bound in that manner, is not slavery, then is there not such a thing as slavery upon earth. Even the expression is impious; for so unlimited a power can belong only to God."
Change the word Britain to “The Ruling Class” and you will arrive at where we are today!
It is because of “The Ruling Class” that today we have:
- Regulations that are destroying American business!
- Double, tripple, quadruple taxation!
- A Legislative branch of government that works, not for the American People but for “The Ruling Class”!
- A Supreme Court that legislates from the bench, with little regard for the Constitution, that they took an oath to preserve and defend!
- “The Ruling Class” using the pandemic to hold meetings in secret, enact laws in secret, suspend Religious Liberty and the rest of our Civil Rights!
- Censorship of the news by “The Ruling Class”, so in effect the average American receives a daily dose of propaganda, no real factual news!
- Mobs roaming the streets, threatening life and property with no consequence whatsoever!
- “The Ruling Class” is changing our voting system to deny the average American any kind of confidence in the election process!
- The list is endless!
“but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman”
In 1776, enough patriots stood up and were responsible for the American victory at Trenton and Princeton.
Washington not only rallied his forces but staged a bold counterattack, recrossing the Delaware on Christmas night, 1776, against a British army (made up of Hessian mercenaries) at Trenton. “The difficulty of passing the River in a very severe Night, and their march thro’ a violent Storm of Snow and Hail, did not in the least abate (the troops) Ardour)”
Now it is our turn to stand up and be counted!
- Do not let the mob shut you up!
- Fly the American flag! Every day!
- Proudly display lawn signs for the candidate of your choice!
- When some one in your social circle is spouting “socialist” ideas, call them on it. When they call you a “Racist”, say thank you! When they resort to personal attacks that means they can not refute your arguments and you won the debate!
- When some one is complaining about what is going on ask them a simple question. What campaign are you working on?
The first paragraph of “The American Crisis NUMBER I” is quoted often and familiar to almost everyone who ever studied history. But if you read the whole article, you will find a very very powerful statement:
“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace”!
Now is not the time to be a Sunshine Patriot!