1. Slice the mozzarella into 1cm slices. Lay onto kitchen paper, then cover with more paper. Gently press down on each slice to remove any excess liquid.
2. Lay out the slices of bread. Divide the mozzarella between three of the slices. Season with a little salt and pepper, then top with the remaining bread.
3. Press down on each sandwich so that the bread and mozzarella start to stick to each other. Use a sharp knife to cut the crusts off, then cut each sandwich into four equal triangles.
NOTE: when cutting the crusts off, push down firmly with the knife in one go (rather than using a sawing motion). This helps seal the sandwiches together.
4. Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk firmly with a good pinch of salt until the eggs are completely broken down. Add the flour and breadcrumbs to two separate bowls.
5. Dip each triangle into the flour, followed by the egg (making sure to drain any excess egg), then the breadcrumbs. Set aside on a baking tray. At each stage, make sure your triangles are well coated.
Now dip each piece into the egg again, and then the breadcrumbs, to create an extra secure coating. (Flour isn’t needed for this second go.) Now place everything on a baking tray and transfer to the fridge for 15 mins.
6. Meanwhile, heat up the vegetable oil in a frying pan. We want the oil to be 170°c/180°c. If you don’t have a thermometer then you can use the end of a wooden spoon to check whether the oil is hot enough (when at the correct temp, bubbles will start to form around the spoon).
7. Carefully add a few triangles to the hot oil. Fry for 45 seconds before carefully turning over and frying for another 45. Remove from the oil using a slotted spoon or spider then, to drain the excess oil, transfer to a tray lined with kitchen paper.
Repeat the process until all the pieces have been fried. Leave to rest for a brief moment before getting stuck in.