A MESSAGE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
Dear Ravenswood Families and Friends,
We are gearing up for the home stretch and things are about to get B-U-S-Y with a capital B. We have a few key updates this week to help you gear up for a great spring at Ravenswood.
This Friday 4/13 there is no school for students (except TBPK)
Teachers will be using the time to plan and gear up for Quarter 4.
Parent Teacher Conferences are coming up on 4/18
Please make time to meet with your child's teacher on this day from 11am-6pm. LSC elections will also take place on the 18th in the MPR and you will also be asked to participate in the 5-Essentials Survey (more to come on that next week). There is a ton happening on the 18th and we are so grateful for your participation.
Inquiry Day, formerly known as World's Fair, has been renamed and reconfigured. Please see the backpack letter that went home on Friday with your child. This letter was also sent to you via room parents and is on Facebook. Please reach out with any questions or concerns. This event will occur on Tuesday 6/12.
Year End Extravaganza will occur on Monday 6/18
Pending board approval, we will be making up a snow day on Tuesday 6/19, so students last day of attendance will be on Tuesday 6/19.
Let's finish strong, support one another and have fun!
Thank you all,
Mr. Manaen (Principal) and
Mrs. Welsh (Assistant Principal)
Click here to give us feedback!
• Ravenswood Rocks! Buy Your Spring Forward Benefit Ticket [change/check link]* April
• April 9th: LSC Meeting
• April 10th: Wellness Meeting 9am
• April 11th: Spring Forward Craft Night
• April 11th: Positive Discipline
• April 12th: Spring Arts Showcase
• April 12th: Dad’s Monthly Night Out at Spiteful Brewing
• April 13th: No School- School Improvement Day
• April 13th: Shop for Ravenswood at Ultimate Ninjas
* April 13th: Last Call for Spring Forward Auction Item Donations
Learn more about these by clicking in the links above or scrolling down to "More About This Week" below.
To view this week's events in another language, click on the links above and use the google translate button on the school website to select your home language.
Para ver los eventos de esta semana en otro idioma, presiona el enlace a continuacion y usa el boton para traducir de google. Selecciona el idioma que deseas.
• April 16th-April 20th: Scholastic Book Fair
• April 17th: FORS Morning Meeting 9am
• April 18th: No School, Parent Teacher Conferences
• April 18th: LSC Election
• April 18th: Shop For Ravenswood at Power Up Tech Academy
• April 20th: Lost and Found Last Call
• April 20th: School Tour 9am
Learn more about these by clicking in the links above or scrolling down to "More About Next Week" below.
ON OUR RADAR
• April 27th: Principal Coffee Hour
• April 27th/28th: Spring Forward Set Up
• April 28th: Spring Forward Benefit
• April 30th: Spring Forward Clean Up
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!
Please support the sponsors of Friends of Ravenswood School.
Click on the logos to learn more!
MORE ABOUT THIS WEEK
Spring Forward Benefit is Almost Here!
When: Saturday, April 28th 6:30pm
Where: The Dank Haus
For more information about the event, click here.
BUY TICKETS to Friends of Ravenswood School's biggest fundraiser of the year. Click here.
Other ways to support this event:
• Last call for auction on item donations is Friday, April 13th. Click here for the printable form. Click here for the online form.
• We need more Experience Party Hosts this year! Want to host? Click here.
• Show Ravenswood how you can rock at this year’s Live Jukebox! Sign up to karaoke/perform as many songs as you like! Duets & group numbers are excellent, too! Guests will make a donation to the school to hear your song!
• Prefer to be seen and not heard? Sign up for Dance Support!
• Want to donate to the Wine Fund? Instead of donating physical bottles of wine for consumption as in years past, donate any dollar amount to our wine fund and our amazing volunteer food & beverage coordinator will handle the rest!
• Interested in volunteering the night of the Spring Forward Benefit? Email Laura Whitmore.
• No babysitter? No problem! BASA is offering child care at the school for Spring Forward. Potty-trained children can be dropped off as early as 6 p.m. and picked up as late as 11:30 p.m. from the school. Suggested donation is $10 per child. $30 max per family. All proceeds go to FORS due to the generosity of BASA. Please email Ms. Emily to reserve your spot. Minimum of 8 children need to sign up.
• Spring Forward After Party at Gideon Welles! Continue the Spring Forward fun in a private room at Gideon Welles on Lincoln and Sunnyside. They will provide snacks and donate a percentage back to the school.
When: Monday, April 9th 6:30pm
All are welcome to attend the Local School Council meetings. At the beginning of each meeting, parents and community members can present an idea or suggestion, or provide feedback to the LSC during the public comment section. The next LSC Elections will be held on April 18th, 2018. Parent and Community Members vote to elect Parent and Community Representatives. School Staff Members vote for School Staff Representatives. The winners of this year’s election will serve on Ravenswood’s Local School Council for the SY19-SY20 school years. The LSC is the school-based decision-making body responsible for setting the budget, evaluating the principal and establishing the school’s strategic plan.
For more information about this year's candidate's, please click here.
Spring Forward Craft Night
When: Wednesday, April 11th 8pm
Where: 2139 W Balmoral Avenue
Join us for our annual craft night in preparation for the Spring Forward Benefit. Our decor team will have jobs lined up for anyone who wants to come - you do not have to be particularly crafty or artistic to be helpful! Please bring scissors and glue. Or if you'd rather, a bottle of wine or snack to share are always welcome.
Spring Arts Showcase
When: Thursday, April 12th at 9:15am and 2:15pm
Where: Ravenswood Gym
Come see Ravenswood shine at the Spring Arts Showcase. There are two showings of the same performances for your convenience. The following classes will be performing: 110, 109, 008, 206, 312, 007, Junior Middle School Dance, Junior Middle School Art and Film, Middle School Hip Hop, and the Dance Team.
Dad’s Monthly Night Out
When: Thursday, April 12th 7:30pm
Where: Spiteful Brewing, 2024 W. Balmoral Ave.
Come one dad, come all dads! Join other Ravenswood dads at a local microbrewery.
Shop for Ravenswood at Ultimate Ninjas
When: Friday, April 13th 1pm-3pm
Ultimate Ninjas is hosting another Open Gym event for Ravenswood Elementary on a day off school.
For every ticket sold, one-third of the proceeds will be donated back to Friends of Ravenswood School. Each ticket is $20. This is event is for students age 6 and up. Parents can choose to drop off or stay and watch.
EVERY STUDENT NEEDS COMFORTABLE ATHLETIC CLOTHES, CLOSED TOES SHOES (CLEAN ONES IF IT'S RAINING). Sign up here!
MORE ABOUT NEXT WEEK
Shop at the Scholastic Book Fair!
When: April 16th to April 30th
The Book Fair raises funds for FORS while helping our students develop their love for books and reading. Check out the website and get a sneak peek of what to expect at the book fair!
The Book Fair needs volunteers. Please sign up here to help!
Parent Teacher Conferences
When: April 18th, 11am-6pm
Where: Your Child’s Classroom
While in the building for conferences:
1) Stop in MPR to vote in the LSC election. For more information about this year's candidates, please click here.
2) Look around the hallways for your child’s artwork displayed during the School’s Hallway Art Gallery.
3) Stop by lost and found in the hallway outside the drama room. All unclaimed lost and found items will be donated after conferences. Last Call for lost and found items will be Friday, April 20th.
4) Stop in the gym to shop at the Book Fair.
5) Stop by the art, gym, dance and drama rooms to meet with the Essentials teachers and find out how your child is doing in each of these classes. Want a designated meeting time? Email the teacher and set one up!
When: April 18th. 2 sessions exclusive to Ravenswood from 12-2pm and 2-4pm
Shop for Ravenswood at Power Up Tech Academy
Where: Power Up Tech Academy at 2867 N. Clybourn Avenue
Support Friends of Ravenswood School on a day off school and give your kids a different kind of learning experience at Power Up Tech Academy's Minecraft Team Build Challenge Camp! In this 2 hour camp, kids will work as a team to design and build their best possible creation. Kids develop teamwork, creativity and building design skills, while having a lot of fun. Past teams have designed cruise ships, roller coasters, tree houses, castles and more.
The camp is recommended for kids ages 7-12.
The cost is $30 per child. $10 of your camp fee will be given back to FORS.
All levels of Minecraft experience are welcome!
Power Up Tech Academy is located at 2867 N. Clybourn Ave.
EXTRA CURRICULAR UPDATE
The Soccer 60 season runs from April through June on Mondays and Wednesdays after school. (The practice days were switched due to other practices after school.) Interested 3rd and 4th grade boys and girls should contact Coach Ramos to get a registration form. At least 12 participants are required to run the program.
Soccer 60 Registration Extended to April 12th
Join Power Friends Co-Ed Yoga Club!
When: Wednesdays, April 11th-May 9th, 3:45-4:45 pm
A co-ed yoga club empowering kids to fight for gender equity!
All students receive weekly e-books and all new students get their very own yoga mat!
Email Mrs.Stallard with questions
Columbia Afterschool Arts: Make Your Own Zine
Who: 5th through 8th graders
When: April 17th and 18th 3:45-6pm
Join a guest teaching artist who runs his own publishing company and press for this hands-on workshop where you'll make your very own, one-of-a-kind zine. As always, Columbia Arts classes are free of charge.
Please contact Alyce McQueen, Site Coordinator, to register, or if you have any questions.
NEWS TO SHARE?
Send Us Your Ravenswood School News Tips!
If you have news or information that should be shared with the Ravenswood Community, we want to know! Send us an email, and don't forget to include basic details such as who, what, why, when, where and how. News tips received by 5 p.m. Wednesday of each week may appear in the weekly Ravenswood Update email newsletter, on the Ravenswood School website and the Ravenswood School Facebook page!).
Like it? Share it!
Who We Are:
Ravenswood School is a Chicago Public School (CPS), providing high-quality, literacy-focused elementary education to students from Kindergarten through eighth grade. As a CPS-designated Fine and Performing Arts Magnet Cluster School, Ravenswood delivers a strong, core academic curriculum, richly enhanced by an arts integration program and fine arts classes. Ravenswood is also home to a full-day, Tuition-based Preschool program and a half-day Preschool for All program.