A MESSAGE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
Dear Ravenswood Families and Friends,
Thanks for Coming Out to the Spring Showcase
Thank you to all who came out to support our awesome Spring Showcase on Thursday. The students and Essentials team worked so hard to put on another incredible show, highlighting what makes our school so special--our wonderful arts programming.
My Voice, My School Parent/Guardian Survey
A critical routine for us as leaders is continuously thinking hard about how we can improve our school every day. The My Voice, My School Parent/Guardian Survey helps us do just that. Every year our parent community is asked to give us feedback on this survey created by University of Chicago's Consortium on School Research. The window for School Year 2018 just opened this week. You can take this survey online by clicking here. This online option is available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Polish, and Vietnamese. The survey itself takes only about 5 minutes and gives us critical information on involving families, creating a supportive environment for students, collaborating with teachers, and making us more effective leaders. Teachers, along with students in grades 5th-8th also participate in this survey, giving us a holistic view on how we are doing as a school.
Please take 5 minutes this weekend to fill it out. If you would like to access our 2017 results you can view them here. We will also have computers set up and paper copies provided during Parent Teacher Conferences on Wednesday the 18th.
Parent Teacher Conferences
As a reminder our Parent Conferences are from 11am-6pm with a break for teachers from 2:30-3:15. We encourage you to visit our Scholastic Book Fair in the Gym and also peruse the Lost and Found to gather any personal belongings on this day, as we will donate all items to a local charity after Wednesday the 18th.
Thank you for always supporting us as leaders, and for providing us the feedback that regularly helps us continue to push to be the best we can be every day.
Thank you all,
Mr. Manaen (Principal) and
Mrs. Welsh (Assistant Principal)
Click here to give us feedback!
• Ravenswood Rocks! Buy Your Spring Forward Benefit Ticket
• April 16th-April 20th: Scholastic Book Fair
• April 17th: FORS Morning Meeting 9am
• April 18th: No School, Parent Teacher Conferences
• April 18th: LSC Election
• April 18th: Shop For Ravenswood at Power Up Tech Academy
• April 20th: Lost and Found Last Call
• April 20th: School Tour 9am
• April 20th: Spring Forward Online Auction Goes Live
Learn more about these by clicking in the links above or scrolling down to "More About This Week" below.
To view this week's events in another language, click on the links above and use the google translate button on the school website to select your home language.
Para ver los eventos de esta semana en otro idioma, presiona el enlace a continuacion y usa el boton para traducir de google. Selecciona el idioma que deseas.
• April 27th: Principal Coffee Hour
• April 27th/28th: Spring Forward Set Up
• April 28th: Spring Forward Benefit
• April 28th: Spring Forward After Party at Gideon Welles
Learn more about these by clicking in the links above or scrolling down to "More About Next Week" below.
ON OUR RADAR
• April 30th: Spring Forward Clean Up
• May 3rd: Mom’s Night Out at the Long Room
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!
Please support the sponsors of Friends of Ravenswood School.
Click on the logos to learn more!
MORE ABOUT THIS WEEK
Spring Forward Benefit is Almost Here!
When: Saturday, April 28th 6:30pm
Where: The Dank Haus
For more information about the event, click here.
BUY TICKETS to Friends of Ravenswood School's biggest fundraiser of the year. Price increases at the door! Click here.
Other ways to support this event:
• Golden Ticket Raffle: This year FORS is offering you a one in 100 chance to win your choice of three amazing vacation packages! Click on the pictures below for more information. Golden Ticket Raffle sales will start on April 20th.
• Stock Your Cellar Wine Raffle: A bottle of wine is your ticket to win the Stock Your Cellar wine raffle. Bring as many as you want and receive one ticket for each bottle, increasing your odds of winning! Starting this week, volunteers will be collecting donated bottles of wine Mondays and Fridays through April 27th before and after school. Each bottle of wine donated gets you an entry into the raffle to win all of the wine collected! The raffle winner will be drawn during the event but you do not need to be present to win.
• Donate Auction Items: Please donate auction items by the end of the day today! Our hard-working volunteers will thank you for honoring the due date.
• Volunteer!: Interested in volunteering the night of the Spring Forward Benefit? Sign up here.
• Child care: No babysitter? No problem! BASA is offering child care at the school for Spring Forward. Potty-trained children can be dropped off as early as 6 p.m. and picked up as late as 11:30 p.m. from the school. Suggested donation is $10 per child. $30 max per family. All proceeds go to FORS due to the generosity of BASA. Please email Ms. Emily to reserve your spot. Minimum of 8 children need to sign up.
• Perform at Live Jukebox: Show Ravenswood how you can rock at this year’s Live Jukebox! Sign up to karaoke/perform as many songs as you like! Duets & group numbers are excellent, too! Guests will make a donation to the school to hear your song!
• Prefer to be seen and not heard? Sign up for Dance Support!
• Throw an Experience Party: Experience Party submissions are due at the end of the day today! Want to host? Click here.
• Come to the Spring Forward After Party at Gideon Welles! Continue the Spring Forward fun in a private room at Gideon Welles on Lincoln and Sunnyside. They will provide snacks and donate a percentage back to the school.
New This Year: More Ways to Shop the Auction!
• Shop our catalog online before, during and after the event - Online auction goes live on April 20th, one week before the benefit! Peruse the catalog and get your bids in whether you plan to attend the event or not.
• Mobile bidding at the benefit- Whether you're at home on your couch or at the benefit enjoying our open bar and live entertainment, you can win your auction items just by the click of a button on your phone or other mobile device. Charging stations will be provided at the Dank Haus.
Shop at the Scholastic Book Fair!
When: April 16th to April 30th
The Book Fair raises funds for FORS while helping our students develop their love for books and reading. Check out the website and get a sneak peek of what to expect at the book fair!
The Book Fair needs volunteers. Please sign up here to help!
Parent Teacher Conferences
When: April 18th, 11am-6pm
Where: Your Child’s Classroom
While in the building for conferences:
1) Stop in MPR to vote in the LSC election. For more information about this year's candidates, please click here.
2) Look around the hallways for your child’s artwork displayed during the School’s Hallway Art Gallery.
3) Stop by lost and found in the hallway outside the drama room. All unclaimed lost and found items will be donated after conferences. Last Call for lost and found items will be Friday, April 20th.
4) Stop in the gym to shop at the Book Fair.
5) Stop by the art, gym, dance and drama rooms to meet with the Essentials teachers and find out how your child is doing in each of these classes. Want a designated meeting time? Email the teacher and set one up!
BASA Day Camp is available on April 18th during Report Card Pick Up Day.
Drop-off starts as early as 7:30am.
PreK through 8th Grade are invited to attend.
Part-Time Camp until 3:30pm: $40.00
Full-Time Camp until 6:00pm: $60.00
25% sibling discount.
New families will need to pay a registration fee. Email Ms. Emily with questions.
Register online here.
When: April 18th. 2 sessions exclusive to Ravenswood from 12-2pm and 2-4pm
Shop for Ravenswood at Power Up Tech Academy
Where: Power Up Tech Academy at 2867 N. Clybourn Avenue
Support Friends of Ravenswood School on a day off school and give your kids a different kind of learning experience at Power Up Tech Academy's Minecraft Team Build Challenge Camp! In this 2 hour camp, kids will work as a team to design and build their best possible creation. Kids develop teamwork, creativity and building design skills, while having a lot of fun. Past teams have designed cruise ships, roller coasters, tree houses, castles and more.
The camp is recommended for kids ages 7-12.
The cost is $30 per child. $10 of your camp fee will be given back to FORS.
All levels of Minecraft experience are welcome!
Power Up Tech Academy is located at 2867 N. Clybourn Ave.
8th Graders Headed to DC
Our eighth-graders are going to Washington, D.C. for their end of year class trip! For many of our eighth-graders, this will be their first trip outside of Chicago. The students and their families have worked hard all year to raise funds for this trip. Many thanks to all who donated and helped make this trip a reality.
The Spring Showcase was a Success!
Last Thursday’s Showcase featured tap, jazz and hip hop dance, creative movement, story dance, haiku poetry, animation and documentary films. Students even designed and controlled the lighting. Such an inspirational and wonderful display of our students’ hard work and dedication to artistic pursuits. Congratulations to our students and thanks to everyone who supported them.
We All Live Here
Look for Facebook and Instagram photos this week about exciting public art installations created by our students. Ms. Kitty collaborated with local artist, Rich Alapack to develop a public art installation unit around the theme of We All Live Here. Middle school students gathered feedback from all Ravenswood students about what We All Live Here means to them in order to create several permanent and temporary art installations in and around our school. Keep an eye out for this art work, and think about what this message means to you. For more information about this inspiring work, click here.
Follow @RavenswoodSchool on Instagram and you will get a peak inside our Art classroom this week on the @RavenswoodSchool Instagram page.
EXTRA CURRICULAR UPDATE
Who: 5th through 8th graders
Columbia Afterschool Arts: Make Your Own Zine
When: April 17th and 18th 3:45-6pm
Join a guest teaching artist who runs his own publishing company and press for this hands-on workshop where you'll make your very own, one-of-a-kind zine. As always, Columbia Arts classes are free of charge.
Please contact Alyce McQueen, Site Coordinator, to register, or if you have any questions.
NEWS TO SHARE?
Send Us Your Ravenswood School News Tips!
If you have news or information that should be shared with the Ravenswood Community, we want to know! Send us an email, and don't forget to include basic details such as who, what, why, when, where and how. News tips received by 5 p.m. Wednesday of each week may appear in the weekly Ravenswood Update email newsletter, on the Ravenswood School website and the Ravenswood School Facebook page!).
Like it? Share it!
Who We Are:
Ravenswood School is a Chicago Public School (CPS), providing high-quality, literacy-focused elementary education to students from Kindergarten through eighth grade. As a CPS-designated Fine and Performing Arts Magnet Cluster School, Ravenswood delivers a strong, core academic curriculum, richly enhanced by an arts integration program and fine arts classes. Ravenswood is also home to a full-day, Tuition-based Preschool program and a half-day Preschool for All program.