A MESSAGE FROM THE PRINCIPALS
Greetings Ravenswood Families and Friends,
We want to extend our deepest gratitude to all that came out to participate in the 2018 Spring Parent Conferences and Local School Council Elections last week. This growing participation is a true testament to our thriving community at Ravenswood.
Two important events this week to have on your radar include our upcoming LSC meeting to approve our budget allocations the 2018-2019 school year, and our annual Spring Forward Event.
Last week we received our budget allocations for next school year. We will hold a special budget-focused LSC meeting on Monday April 23rd at 6:30pm in the MPR. Please join us to learn more about our budget plans for SY19.
And, guaranteed to be much more fun than Monday's budget meeting, our Spring Forward Event is at Dank Haus on Saturday night. Spring Forward is our largest grossing fundraiser of the year and we need your support! This year's theme is the Grammys and it is guaranteed to be a night to remember. Come out and bid early and often for fabulous auction items, support your children's teachers directly through their wish lists, and dance the night away with members of our wonderful community. Thank you in advance to all of our fabulous party planners. This event is going to ROCK just like #ravenswoodrocks!
And lastly, if you haven't yet taken the My School My Voice Survey, please take a few minutes and fill it out by clicking here. Click on your preferred language in the blue box towards the bottom of the page.
Thank you all,
Mr. Manaen (Principal) and
Mrs. Welsh (Assistant Principal)
Click here to give us feedback!
• April 23rd: LSC Budget Special Meeting
• April 27th: Principal Coffee Hour
• April 27th/28th: Spring Forward Set Up
• April 28th: Spring Forward Benefit
• April 28th: Spring Forward After Party at Gideon Welles
Learn more about these by clicking in the links above or scrolling down to "More About This Week" below.
To view this week's events in another language, click on the links above and use the google translate button on the school website to select your home language.
Para ver los eventos de esta semana en otro idioma, presiona el enlace a continuacion y usa el boton para traducir de google. Selecciona el idioma que deseas.
• April 30th: Spring Forward Clean Up
• May 3rd: Mom’s Night Out at the Long Room
Learn more about these by clicking in the links above or scrolling down to "More About Next Week" below.
ON OUR RADAR
• May 7th-May 11th: Teacher Appreciation Week
• May 10th: Dad’s Night Out
• May 11th: Reality Fair
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!
Please support the sponsors of Friends of Ravenswood School.
Click on the logos to learn more!
MORE ABOUT THIS WEEK
LSC Budget Special Meeting
When: Monday, April 23 6:30pm
This is an open meeting where the LSC will review and approve the budget. They will also be certifying the election results (newly elected LSC members will not begin their term of service until July).
Spring Forward Benefit is Almost Here!
When: Saturday, April 28th 6:30pm
Where: The Dank Haus
For more information about the event, click here.
BUY TICKETS to Friends of Ravenswood School's biggest fundraiser of the year. Price increases at the door! Click here.
Other ways to support this event:
• Golden Ticket Raffle: This year FORS is offering you a one in 100 chance to win your choice of three amazingRaffle sales will start on April 20th.
• The Silent Auction is Live Online!: Last Friday, you received an email giving you instructions on how to sign in to our catalog and begin bidding on our fantastic items (thanks again to all who donated)! Online bidding will be open now through the silent auction at the benefit on the 28th. Guests at the auction and those at home will place bids on their phone or other mobile devices. Get in on the action and invite your family, friends, neighbors and anyone you want to join in the fun, too!
• Stock Your Cellar Wine Raffle: A bottle of wine is your ticket to win the Stock Your Cellar wine raffle. Bring as many as you want and receive one ticket for each bottle, increasing your odds of winning! Starting this week, volunteers will be collecting donated bottles of wine this Monday, Wednesday and Friday before and after school. Each bottle of wine donated gets you an entry into the raffle to win all of the wine collected! The raffle winner will be drawn during the event but you do not need to be present to win.
• Volunteer!: Interested in volunteering the night of the Spring Forward Benefit? Sign up here.
• Help with Food Prep!: If you're interested in helping with food prep at the event, sign up here.
• Perform at Live Jukebox: Show Ravenswood how you can rock at this year’s Live Jukebox! Sign up to karaoke/perform as many songs as you like! Duets & group numbers are excellent, too! Guests will make a donation to the school to hear your song!
• Come to the Spring Forward After Party at Gideon Welles! Continue the Spring Forward fun in a private room at Gideon Welles on Lincoln and Sunnyside. They will provide snacks and donate a percentage back to the school.
ON OUR RADAR
Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week
Here is the schedule of events. More details and signups coming next week.
When: May 7th-11th
Monday May 7th: Sweet Treat Day
Tuesday May 8th: Taco Lunch Day
Wednesday May 9th: Chalk the Walk and Wish List
Thursday May 10th: Thank You Note Day
Friday May 11th: Class Choice
Ravenswood Community Services will bring the Reality Fair to the gym for the 7th and 8th graders on Friday, May 11th. This event is a financial literacy challenge where students receive a fictional job and a monthly salary and attempt to navigate real-world monthly expenses without going bankrupt. RCS will need volunteers to help make this event a success. Look for a sign up next week.
We All Live Here
Last week, public art installations were created by our students. Ms. Kitty collaborated with local artist Rich Alapack to develop a public art installation unit around the theme of We All Live Here. Middle school students gathered feedback from all Ravenswood students about what We All Live Here means to them in order to create several permanent and temporary art installations in and around our school. Keep an eye out for this art work, and think about what this message means to you. Learn more about the project here.
Every year our parent community is asked to give feedback on a survey created by University of Chicago's Consortium on School Research. The window for School Year 2018 just opened this week. You can take this survey online by clicking here. This online option is available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Polish, and Vietnamese. The survey itself takes only about 5 minutes and gives us critical information on involving families, creating a supportive environment for students, collaborating with teachers, and making us more effective leaders. Teachers, along with students in grades 5th-8th, also participate in this survey, giving us a holistic view on how we are doing as a school.
Please take 5 minutes this weekend to fill it out. If you would like to access our 2017 results you can view them here.
My Voice, My School Parent/Guardian Survey
FREE GED/HiSET Preparation for Adults!
When: Early registration Tuesday, April 24, 10am
Where: Rogers Park Parent University at Sullivan HS
NEWS TO SHARE?
Send Us Your Ravenswood School News Tips!
If you have news or information that should be shared with the Ravenswood Community, we want to know! Send us an email, and don't forget to include basic details such as who, what, why, when, where and how. News tips received by 5 p.m. Wednesday of each week may appear in the weekly Ravenswood Update email newsletter, on the Ravenswood School website and the Ravenswood School Facebook page!).
Like it? Share it!
Who We Are:
Ravenswood School is a Chicago Public School (CPS), providing high-quality, literacy-focused elementary education to students from Kindergarten through eighth grade. As a CPS-designated Fine and Performing Arts Magnet Cluster School, Ravenswood delivers a strong, core academic curriculum, richly enhanced by an arts integration program and fine arts classes. Ravenswood is also home to a full-day, Tuition-based Preschool program and a half-day Preschool for All program.