The White Church Theatre Project 2017 Review
"The goal of The White Church Theatre Project, and it’s company in residence, the Theatre de l’Ange Fou, is to create and coordinate events specifically dedicated to the multi-faceted art of modern movement theatre by offering performances, lectures, films and training programs.
Our 2017 season started with “Footsteps in the Hallway” created by Steven Wasson and Corinne Soum and performed in May by 3 apprentices of the Theatre de l’Ange Fou: Anna Lopez Muro from Argentina, Nicolas Olea from Chile, and Catherine Young from the U.S.A.
In June 2017, Steven Wasson and Corinne Soum were invited by “The Physical Festival” in Chicago to teach a workshop and to perform one of their latest duets “Memory of Dust.” This modernist fable on the enduring connection of two souls, inspired by the French writer Robert Desnos, the Second World War, and the Surrealist Movement in Paris, was very warmly received by the audience of the festival, and the workshop, “The Thinking Body,” well attended.
During the Summer 2017, The White Church offered a variety of performances choreographed and directed by Steven Wasson and Corinne Soum:
1. “The Lesson” by Eugene Ionesco, performed by Dee King, Gayle Grigg and young actor Fiona King. This Metaphysical Farce written by “The God Father of the Theatre of the Absurd” had a wonderful review written by Craig Johnson in the 10-16- 2017 Isthmus edition.
2. “Idleness, Sorrow, a Friend and a Foe”, performed by Catherine Young. This devised play explored the solitude of a woman poet through the intermingling of movement and text from Sapho, Dickinson, Stein and Parker. This play was presented again in December at The White Church.
Both The Lesson” and “Idlenes, Sorrow, a Friend and a Foe” were also performed at The Broom Street Theatre in Madison in early September, alongside a workshop, marking the start of a new collaboration between Broom Street and Theatre de l’Ange Fou.
3. “Blue Beard Through the Glass Darkly,” the 3rd piece created by Steven and Corinne for the Kanopy Dance Company from Madison. This piece will be presented at the Madison Overture Center as part of the Kanopy dance recital on February 9 to 11, and February 16 to 18, 2018. As part of the same recital Steven and Corinne will also perform an extract ofthe triptych “The Melancholy of the Angels.”
4. The White Church Theatre Project also welcomed during summer 2017, the Story Teller Cecilia Farran with her performance “The Aisling."
5. In September, Steven presented his film “The Penelope Complex,” a film using the resources offered by movement Theatre with a cast of 25 actors trained by The Theatre de l’Ange Fou and shot on location throughout England, France, Japan, and Wisconsin.
We are now in the process of creating the 2018 Summer Season, with a presentation of the triptych “ The Melancholy of Angels,” and many other inspiring projects, plays, films, lectures and workshops are already taking shape"