Welcome to our final newsletter of 2012! We would like to thank you for all your support throughout the year and we hope you have a fab, fun-filled festive bit - Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
! See you in 2013!!
Our projects and services...
Peel Environmental update
- as you may be aware both the North Clyde Recycling Centre and the South Clyde Energy Centre have recently been granted planning permission. Having campaigned against both of these developments we are very disappointed with the decisions and we will continue to campaign for sustainable use of our resources. Read more here
Clean Up Scotland
- a new campaign
was recently launched to Clean Up Scotland - we are fully supportive of the campaign and if you would like to organise a clean up in your community then please get in touch.
Our Economic Impact
- following on from the publication of our first environmental impact report we have produced a similar report
looking at our economic impact which shows that in 2011-12 we spent over 65%
in the social and local economies!!
Glasgow West Community Map:
our Community Map
is now live and the response since the launch has been great. There are now over 150 sites
posted on the map and we are keen to work with more local partners to further develop the map. You can find out more on our website
Christmas table top fund raiser
- many thanks to everyone that came along to the our stall at the Heart of Scotstoun table top fund raiser
- we managed to raise over £60 which will go towards the work that we do so a big Thank You
Community Placemaking events:
we are still finalising the report from the events that were held recently - more info in the New Year!
Climate Week 2013:
this event will take place from 4-10 March 2013 - so get your thinking caps on as to what you can do as part of this week. We will be back in touch with details of our events! In the meantime check out the website
for ways you can get involved!
Councillor creates pedal power:
we recently attend the Maryhill Community Central Halls Environment Day and we took along our pedal powered generators and smoothie machine to help raise awareness of energy related issues. Whilst there Councillor Martha Wardrop popped along and took the time to make her own smoothie
Yoker Ferry Road:
there have been some delays in getting permission to use this site but we hope to hit the ground running in the New Year so watch this space!
Glasgow Local Food Network:
the Network has now set up a dedicated blog
- check it out including the first Talking Turnips interview
the Autumn 2012 newsletter from Scotstoun Conservation Area and Residents Association can be downloaded from their website
North Kelvin Meadow:
this is a fantastic green space in the north of Glasgow which is really popular with the local community however a planning application has been submitted to build 90 properties on the site - watch this video
about what could be lost find out more and how to object on their website
First Bus reduce FirstWeek tickets:
First Bus have reduced the price of their FirstWeek tickets
New Council website:
Glasgow City Council have given their website an overhaul - check it out!
The Coach House Trust Xmas trees:
if you haven't bought a Christmas tree yet then check out the Coach House Trust
who have a place up at Alderman Road. They are also selling rock salt!
Festive timetables: keeping moving over the holidays with the First Bus festive timetable and the ScotRail festive timetable and don't forget kids travel free on the subway.
Dirty dog owners fined:
dog mess is a really blight ion the streets of Glasgow so it's good to see the Council getting tough
on irresponsible dog owners.
Universal Home Insulation Scheme:
covers all of Glasgow and can include having loft installation installed in top floor tenement flats.
1) Miniature Glasgow
- a very interesting short film by Glasgow Centre for Population Health
based on Glasgow being a village of 100 people
2) Towards Transition Glasgow
- useful sit to find out more about the Transition Towns model and a useful events listing
3) Volunteer Centre Glasgow
- the place to go for all your volunteer news and views in Glasgow including our volunteer opportunities!!
We have added all the useful website links to our blog
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
We hope you have enjoyed this issue of our newsletter. Please feel free to forward to friends and colleagues. We would also love to hear any suggestions and feedback
that you may have.