Copy

ktsh2DA0lJxMvCfQ66KJ6mAA4mOVcWCNCOBbBrHNEjoH59ppvmt-q6eNtoV2Xz1-vtJDOYQrc6_9B0x6o6nD4xoN9L-HGfO6CHgFpwofURGtGt2PthqySUs9gj3DcUxkv_5ftfWe

ARTICLE ALERT 

TUESDAY 17 DECEMBER 2019

Choice.com.au has published the following article we thought you might be interested in.

Please feel free to share the content of this article, we’d love a link back to our site if you do so. 

Infogram available for embedding here: https://infogram.com/most-common-christmas-and-new-year-related-injuries-1hke60m7yz9e25r

For more information, please contact Katelyn Cameron on 0430 172 669 or media@choice.com.au

Y34VX4aokBfLtH1jVWhKdCOzLF5j0_PqmzF2MkBVEhFGFIR96vupzfNY9Ov9q7RYGdw2CHGahWoOhwj3GADbKSLk2M8bQQIUTXeW25wj-HhCQtFB91YORUwhbBjDEg0O3KD4_ii9

Summer holiday injuries: the most common ways we 

get hurt 

The Christmas and New Year period presents unique risks - on top of hazards posed by millions of unsafe products in Australia.

 

In the mad scramble of gift buying and meal prepping, and the food coma that comes after, many of us aren’t at our most vigilant.

 

If the rest of Australia is anything like Victoria, where the Victorian Injury Surveillance Unit compiles data from the state’s emergency departments, the Christmas and New Year period has some unique hazards, with hundreds of people cutting themselves opening presents with knives, electrocuting themselves with fairy lights, getting poked in the eye with pine branches, and hurting themselves in other holiday-themed accidents.

 

But the greatest number of injuries by far are fall-related, accounting for 41% of injuries during this period, while the next highest category, “cutting/piercing injuries”, accounts for 8%. We fall over at parties, off skateboards and on slip ‘n slides, high on bubbles and a change of pace.

 

Health hazards of Christmas

At Christmas, emergency wards see many elderly people who, after a long period of inactivity, collapse at the family get-together from exhaustion, dehydration and over-excitement, according to Lucy Osborn, an emergency nurse in Victoria.

 

She says it can be a stressful time, so we might be less attentive than usual – less likely to notice that grandpa seems extra tired, or that the toddler is munching on tinsel from the tree, or bits of the tree itself. Pine needles, Osborn says, are not easy to digest.

 

Nor are the beads, wooden pieces, magnets, button batteries, undeclared sesame seeds (if you're allergic or intolerant) and bacterial contaminants contained in seven products recalled for posing ingestion-related risks over the past fortnight, at the time of writing.

 

Overall, 25 products were recalled in those two weeks alone, covering a broad spectrum of other hazards: collapsing furniture, kids' toys with cords that could strangle, overheating batteries, and all manner of faulty cars.

 

Osborn attributes the spike in people turning up at emergency rooms on Christmas Day to the fact that, for many, "there are, literally, a lot more objects around – there's a lot more for parents to keep their eyes on, a lot more shiny new things for kids to get their hands on".

 

Although many people would refrain from handing a small child a toy with small parts in case they swallow them, there are countless potential dangers that wouldn't necessarily register until too late – and the items that kids are drawn to aren't limited to toys.

 

m2FdIpnW4XeHMpcDMEn1E8-wq4n5kXV3Ea_XHguuaEVdSGvrE0G7EGgd1Vz7RfzQaCiaaz9V0cuUKjcBz2Y3M31PJVBHuudbjlx0scxlPh748cZ4hYkiDigSW6XTHXUwXTmwwi3F

 

Constant vigilance is impossible

When Tamsin Rumble's son was 11 months old, he was hospitalised for 24 hours after swallowing a button battery that came loose from a night light. The battery had moved to his bowel; doctors gave him medication and told Tamsin to keep feeding him, even though he didn't want to eat, to help flush it out.

 

Tamsin says the night light appeared to have a secured battery compartment, but later she realised one of its screws was too small, meaning the button batteries could be accessed with the flick of a finger, or fall out if the light was dropped. 

 

Her son suffered some internal bleeding, but was able to make a full recovery in two days at home. "We were very fortunate that he didn't have more serious injuries," she says.

 

"We thought we were careful parents, aware of the dangers. But this shook us and we learnt that you can't rely on the idea that products have been manufactured to a high standard."

 

Some nights, Tamsin lies awake wondering, is everything safe? "Then I'll prowl around the house checking all the products," she says. "At Christmas time, I become anxious about what comes in the house and I'm careful about what we give other people."

 

Current safety laws inadequate

Recently, Standards Australia announced it would develop a standard for products with button batteries, which have been linked to infant deaths. However, it's up to governments to decide whether to make the standard mandatory, and there are many more products on the market that aren't subject to standards at all. 

 

In a submission to Treasury, CHOICE says Australia's safety laws are reactive, unfit for the future and present an unacceptable level of consumer harm. It argues the onus should be on companies to commit to a thorough approach to safety – to ensure, before putting products on the market, that they are safe.

 

The idea is to write a general safety provision into law, which would apply broadly across all consumer goods and protect people who are unaware there's risk in, say, speed-browsing in a Myer or Kmart on Christmas Eve, picking items to gift that we assume are well-regulated. A CHOICE survey found 93% of Australians believe – incorrectly – that products sold in Australia are legally required to be safe.

 

Staying safe during the holidays

Product recalls have more than quadrupled since 1998, and the ACCC estimates that as many as half of recalled items are still in our homes. Due to the prevalence of dangerous products in Australia, the regulator has taken to reminding us all to ensure that we buy safe gifts each Christmas. 

 

The ACCC recommends checking that the presents you're giving and getting haven't been recalled or banned, are age-appropriate and don't pose a choking hazard to young kids.

 

It's also put together the following advice for staying safe this summer.

 

Tips to stay safe over the holiday

- Read warning labels and follow the safety instructions on products

- Check products in the home to ensure button batteries aren't easily accessible

- Don't put heavy items on top of shelves and, ideally, anchor furniture to walls

- Supervise children in pools, including when they have flotation devices

- Supervise children in portable pools, then empty and store them away

- Check that your pool gate and latches are locking properly 

- Check the condition of trampolines and supervise children playing on them

- Wear a life jacket when kayaking, water skiing, fishing in a boat or engaging in other activities on the water


Read more at productsafety.gov.au.  
 
--
Katelyn Cameron
Media and PR Assistant
choice-logo.gif
A not-for-profit company limited by guarantee | ACN 000 281 925  
57 Carrington Rd, Marrickville NSW 2204, Australia

facebook-ico.gif  twitter-ico.gif  youtube-ico.gif  linkedin-ico.gif  instgram-ico.gif

Please consider the environment before printing this email
This email (and any attachments) contains information that may be confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. It is intended solely for the recipient(s) named above. If you received this email by mistake, please notify the sender and destroy it and any copies. Thank you.






 
This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
CHOICE · 57 Carrington Road, Marrickville · Sydney, NSW 2204 · Australia