Last night, hundreds of students, parents and community leaders attended the West Orange Chamber of Commerce Education Awards, which proved to be a truly inspirational event once again. Nearly 100 students were honored for their academic achievements, while three high school seniors received college scholarships. The purpose of these awards is to promote academic excellence by providing recognition for today’s outstanding youth, opportunities for our future leaders, and inspiration for young students who aspire to achieve the same academic success as last night’s honorees. The most valuable investment we can make in today’s students is education. I would like to highlight the many educational opportunities made available exclusively to Chamber members and their own future leaders by the West Orange Chamber.
- Danniel J. Petro/ West Orange Chamber of Commerce Scholarship: Two student recipients are awarded $2500 scholarships from the Petro Family Foundation, while a number of other student recipients will be awarded $1000 from the West Orange Chamber scholarships program. In order to qualify, the student must be:
- A dependent of a Chamber member business owner or of an employee of a Chamber member business
- A resident of one of our service area communities (Dr. Phillips, Gotha, Horizon West, Lake Avalon, MetroWest, Oakland, Ocoee, Orlo Vista, Pine Hills, Windermere and Winter Garden)
- A senior attending a Chamber member high school
- Looking to further their education at Valencia College, Westside Tech, or the University of Central Florida
- W.O.P.T.E. (West Orange Program for Tomorrow’s Entrepreneurs). The mission of the program, sponsored by Bright Future Electric, is to raise awareness among local youth regarding the West Orange County business community and all it has to offer. With a broader understanding of the area, students will be better informed regarding career opportunities.
- S.O.A.R. (Students of Achievement and Renown): Recipients of this award are recognized for their initiative, good citizenship, commitment and personal growth in the classroom. Each year, the Education Committee of the West Orange Chamber of Commerce sponsors the Education Awards program for exceptional students in the West Orange area.
- Education Procurement/CareerSource Event: We invite businesses to learn how they can do business with Orange County Public Schools, the University of Central Florida and Valencia College. This event will be held on July 23 from 8:30-9 a.m. at Westside Tech.
We encourage everyone to take advantage of these exclusive opportunities to invest in today’s students/tomorrow’s leaders. For more information on these programs and events, email firstname.lastname@example.org.