Current Projects In Progress
These are initiatives we are engaging in on behalf of our BSU community! Participation in these is not required and brief updates on progress are announced at the bi-weekly zoom gatherings. If you are interested in working on any of these initiatives, let us know!
"Make Juneteenth A Holiday"
Our effort as the BSU to make Juneteenth a school-recognized holiday. So far we have gotten that resolution passed through Foothill's Faculty Association Executive Council and have met with DeAnza's BSU to gain support. Come show support as we present our resolution THIS THURSDAY 02/04 2-4pm to the ASFC Campus Council!
You don't have to do anything but be present :) :
Black History Month
Meeting ID: 973 5388 2637
The Foothill Activities Board + BSU has planned month-long events to celebrate Black History Month this February! We want student participation and sharing! Check out the flyer to see what you can make it to:
Open Letter to Foothill College
In progress since June 2020---
Written in solidarity with other student government leaders, this is our list of demands for our college urging them to act now to bring racial equity and equity to the Foothill campus.
(Tap the hyperlinked heading to view the letter).
Some of the initiatives already underway:
- Mandatory Faculty Training on Racial Awareness- First 2hr training created and presented by students for all Foothill administration was held Fall Quarter 2020 on College Opening Day! More trainings + workshops in the works!
- Creation of Ethnic Studies Division + Department-A mix of faculty and students are meeting monthly to make this happen!
- Recognize Juneteenth as a paid holiday- see above text
State Coalition of BSUs We stay connected!
- Moorpark College BSU: We had the opportunity to rally for them and speak in support of their efforts at their recent governance meeting! They sent us an email back of appreciation and thanks
- Glendale College BSU: Currently we are working with Vice President, Sydney as she unites as many BSU's as we can across the state. We hope to support each other's efforts in our fights for racial equity and the hearing of black voices on our college campuses.
- DeAnza BSU: We just linked up with this dope BSU to unite on the Juneteenth resolution! We look forward to working more with them in the future! Get readyyyyy