- Sally Can't Dance: A Tribute to The Cramps at The Bowery Electric (show info // tickets). A bunch of fine peeps (including Martin Rev, Jesse Malin ad Eugene Hutz of Gogol Bordello) play tribute to The Cramps: one of the sickest bands to ever roll around in the glorious muck that is the music game. RIP, Lux Interior.
- DFA Records Ghost Dog No 1 at Good Room (show info // tickets). A bunch of DJ's from the DFA crew will be spinning some spooky sick sounds. Will there be special live appearances, as well? There will be! Will one of the secret guests be LCD Soundsystem? IT NEVER IS.
- Jukebox the Ghost presents “Halloqueen" at Music Hall of Williamsburg (show info // tickets). Jukebox the Ghost (a v. good band) meets Queen (the best) at the end of October = Halloqueen!
- Gwar (free show w/ RSVP) and Darkest Hour at House of Vans (show info // rsvp closed). Gwar is such strange choice to headline a free Halloween show. Just kidding! They wear costumes! Grown ass men! Get there on time to see Darkest Hour. They rule so hard.
- The Damned at Gramercy Theatre (show info // tickets). Two Gramercy shows in two nights for these legendary English punks. If you don't know their 1979 classic album "Machine Gun Etiquette" yet go ahead and blast it and start the first day of the rest of your punk LYF.
- Cake Shop Halloween Rager (show info // tickets). Punk bands pretending to be other punk bands! My Teenage Stride as Violent Threat (Violent Femmes / Minor Threat mashup)! Thick as Misfits! Clean Girls as Yeah Yeah Yeahs! It's all here!
- Dance Yourself Clean: An Indie Pop Dance Party at Warsaw (show info // tickets). I'm going to this one as a sexy C86 cassette tape! Jingle. Jangle. Dance. Dance. Dance. Foreva.
- Big Ups (as Rage Against The Machine) + Two Inch Astronaut (as Third Eye Blind) + Fern Mayo (as Yeah Yeah Yeahs) at Shea Stadium (show info // tickets). This is going to be a real fun one for the punks and the people who love them. Big Ups as Rage Against the Machine. Two Inch Astronaut as Third Eye Blind. Fern Mayo as Yeah Yeah Yeahs. If you've ever wanted something else to get you through this semi-charmed kind of life I highly suggest you get your dressed up ass to Shea Stadium tonight.
- S U R V I V E at Good Room (show info // tickets). ¡sǝpnp "sbuıɥʇ ɹǝbuɐɹʇs" ǝɥʇ ¡ɥɐǝʎ
- A Place To Bury Strangers at Brooklyn Night Bazaar (show info // tickets). Go see one of the loudest bands in worlds (the regular world & the upside down one) in the new BK Night Bazaar space in Greenpoint. Bring earplugs and nobody gets hurt.
- New York Night Train Soul Clap & Dance-Off at Knockdown Center (show info // tickets). Can I just have the venue describe this Halloween rager? They're better at it! "NYC'S TWO BEST HALLOWEEN PARTIES COMBINE FOR AN EPIC NIGHT OF LIVE MUSIC AND DANCING IN A MASSIVE HAUNTED HOUSE AS AN ARMY OF ARTIST FRIENDS TRANSFORM KNOCKDOWN CENTER'S SPRAWLING ROOMS AND COURTYARDS INTO A LABYRINTH OF CREEPY PERFORMANCE, LIVE VISUALS, MULTIMEDIA ART INSTALLATIONS, HORROR CINEMA, AND MUCH MORE!" Doesn't that sound like fun? Jonathan Toubin spins the vinyls!
- Shea Stadium Halloween Rager (show info // tickets). Charly Bliss as Josie and the Pussycats! Pouty as Madonna! Emily Reo as Carly Rae Jepsen! Sharpless as Kate Bush! Speaking of Ms. Bush, here's a spoooooky Halloween poem to get you in the mood:
When I was a child:
Running in the night,
Afraid of what might be
Hiding in the dark,
Hiding in the street,
And of what was following me...
Now hounds of love are hunting.
I've always been a coward,
And I don't know what's good for me.
Here I go!
It's coming for me through the trees.
Help me, someone!
Help me, please!
Take my shoes off,
And throw them in the lake,
And I'll be
Two steps on the water.
Those are some pretty good Halloween shows, right?
See you out there!
(look for the blob that looks like Ken Bone!)