Bringing Your Gratitude Practice to Life
Let’s face it! Many of us have had feelings of frustration, terror, anger, and grief over the past few months. As 2016 comes to a close and 2017 is about to begin, let’s all take a moment, take a deep breath, and remember what’s truly important in life. I am more committed than ever to really live every moment that I have on this planet! I want to live my life from a place of integrity, which means I no longer want to do things that do not bring me joy or make me feel that squishy, icky feeling as I enter into them. I want to embrace each moment as if it was going to be my last. I want to be full of gratitude every moment of every day.
I have kept a gratitude journal for a number of years now, and I love doing it. However, sometimes, my own gratitude practice needs a good, swift kick in the behind. It needs a freshening up! It’s just too easy to be grateful for the same things every single day. However, I find that if I hold myself to jotting down at least three to five things that are different every day, then my gratitude practice begins to feel alive, and I begin to full of vim and vigor.
I once heard a person say that if you could remember your day in its entirety and do without anything that made that day possible, fine. However, if you want everything that helped you get through the day—whether it’s the alarm clock that allowed you to wake up and get to work on time or your morning cup of Earl Grey tea—then you have things to be grateful for. This made perfect sense to me and is one of the things I keep in mind as I practice gratitude.
So, here are a few things that I am grateful for as of late:
- I am grateful for my life each and every day!
- I am grateful for Pilates and my Pilates teacher, Laurel, who is teaching me to relearn my body and strengthen my core!
- I am grateful for the daily medication that allows me to live my life in a healthy, meaningful way!
- I am grateful for all of my clients—past, present, and future!
- I am grateful for my wonderful partner Kim each moment of every day!
- I am grateful for all the great storytellers in the world. I always love a good story, especially if I can grow as a result!
- I am grateful for all of my e-newsletter subscribers who take the time to read my e-newsletter! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
- I am grateful for my winter coat that keeps me warm this time of year!
- I am grateful for the friends and family who are in my life and who I have been given to love!
- I am grateful for a working furnace and heat, as it is 14 degrees where I live today!
- I am grateful for technology that allows me to connect with people far and wide from the comfort of my home!
- I am also grateful for all the people in the world who are willing to have open and honest conversations so that I can learn from them and discover their way of viewing the world. This helps me have greater understanding!
I could go on and on, but I won’t use this space to do that. Instead, I would like to encourage you to continue your practice of gratitude. If your practice of gratitude has fallen by the wayside over the past few months or years, I encourage you to pick it up again. Go buy yourself a fun journal that makes you happy even when you look at the cover! Find a time of day that works for you. I journal in bed at the end of the day, but I have a dear friend who does her gratitude practice in the morning as she is drinking her coffee. If your gratitude practice has gotten a bit stale, try something new. Or, you could keep a gratitude jar! Every time you find yourself grateful for something, jot it down and toss it in the jar. This could be a great activity for the whole family!
As you practice gratitude, it is crucial to keep it fresh and meaningful. So, while I am grateful every day for Kim and for my family and friends, I try to be specific. For example, I am grateful that Kim went grocery shopping the other day, which allowed me to coach clients. That was truly helpful.
Remember, life is short and it will be over before we know it. So, take the plunge with me and find things that you are grateful for each and every day!
What are five things that you are grateful for today? Go ahead! Write them down!
What is your first step to beginning or continuing a gratitude practice that works for you?
I have been busily planning with my dear friend Melissa Madill who is also a Martha Beck life coach. We will be offering The Hero’s Journey Retreat that is based on Martha Beck’s newest best seller, Diana, Herself: An Allegory of Awakening in the early spring of 2017. We will be holding free informational phone calls starting January 10! You can hop on a call and hear all about the retreat, ask all of your questions, and see if it speaks to you! If you can’t jump on the call, know that there will be another call later in January, or you can listen to a recording of the call at your convenience.
As many of you know, I love finding quotes that inspire me. They are a big support to me every day! I find that by noticing everyday things that I am grateful for, I begin to see more of the beauty in the world and, hence, more beauty comes my way!
Happy holidays to all of you, and please know that I am grateful for each and every one of you!
Until next time,
Safe Space Life Coaching