AFSC - March 2012 Newsletter Issue 4 (pdf version)
Fire Modeling in Alaska - Resources You Can Use
Whether you are a novice modeler, seasoned pro or curious observer, these new resources will help you work through fire modeling tools (particularly FSPro) and provide a great knowledge base as we continue to learn more about modeling and analysis in Alaska.
FSPro Analysis in Alaska: A User’s Guide 2012 (1.1)
- Working guidelines and techniques used in Alaska along with information gathered from WFDSS Help
, documents written by analysts
for Alaska, and published papers
Fire Growth Models in WFDSS – How do you choose?
• Modeling Overview Video
(.wmv) from Wildland Fire Management RD&A
(You may need a codec
to view this recording.)
• Take this Fire Model Selection Quiz
Once Burned, Twice Shy: Webinar Wrap – Up
Repeat fires in boreal forests of the northern Yukon have resulted in tree regeneration failure. Current climate change predictions indicate that warming could boost treeline expansion. However, a recent study has shown that changes in disturbance regime (with more closely timed fires) may supersede the impacts of climate change alone and lead to treeline degradation and vegetation shifts.
Find out more about this study:
See More >>
Managing Alaska Forests, Supporting Alaskan Markets
April 25th – 28th, 2012 (Fairbanks, AK)
The 2012 Alaska SAF Conference will focus on new research in forestry and the economic impact of sustainable forest management. This year’s meeting will also include site visits
demonstrating new technologies in forest management and to a local tree nursery. In addition, SAF is offering a half-day training course on SDMI
products and image analysis followed by the Understanding & Meeting Biomass Demand in Alaska Symposium
(hosted by the Alaska Northern Forest Cooperative).
• April 25 AM – SDMI (Statewide Digital Mapping Initiative) Short Course Registration>>
• April 25 PM – ANFC Symposium Registration>>
• April 26-27 - SAF Meeting Registration>>
- Forest Inventory & New Technology
- Regional Forest Management Activities
- Economics of Alaskan Forestry
- Forest Management and Disturbance
- Poster Session (Deadline Extended!!) Call for Abstracts>>
• April 28 - Field Trip Registration>>
In a Time of Change: The Art of Fire
The Community Fire Art Show is still on for August 2012!
Use your creative talent to share your wildfire experiences from the field, firelin, or office. Show your drawings, paintings, photos, sculptures, or other pieces of visual art.
If you would like to participate in the community art show please contact Jennifer Northway
at email@example.com. Submission details coming VERY
Learn More >>
Images by Jessie Hedden, Amanda Ellis and Erin Hatter.