Mobilising, influencing, connecting
26 October 2016
Binding treaty on business and human rights
Rights for people, Rules for business
The EU is attending the 2nd session of the Open-ended intergovernmental working group on transnational corporations and other business enterprises with respect to human rights following a successful FoEE petition supported by CIDSE which gathered 90.000 signatures and called on the EU and its members state to support the negotiations' process. CIDSE is also in Geneva this week with allies and partners.
Read more >
Stories of change
Sustainable food for people and the planet
On the occasion of World Food Day, the campaign ‘Change for the Planet - Care for the People’ launched its storytelling project on sustainable food for the people and the planet with the release of an interview featuring Alfredo Sendim, an organic farmer in Portugal. New stories sharing experiences will be published each month.
Watch the video >
Climate and agriculture
Harvesting people's solutions for sustainable food systems
CIDSE organised a workshop in Brussels whose objective was to identify transition pathways such as agroecology through the presentation of case studies and experiences from across continents. As part of the programme, an evening panel debate offered a dynamic discussion on different views on agroecology and climate smart agriculture which inspired many participants.
Read more >
Watch the CIDSE website for details on upcoming activities: www.cidse.org.
- Together with sef: (Development and Peace Foundation), we will organise a policy lunch debate entitled ‘From Shared Vision to Common Action. Realising the SDGs in the EU's External Activities’. See programme & registration form before 1st November. On this occasion, CIDSE will present its views on the current EU Development Consensus Review and its recommendations in a new policy brief to be launched on that day. (Brussels, 07/11/2016) .
- CIDSE’s Directors of Advocacy and Programmes will meet in Brussels to discuss the operationalisation of the new CIDSE strategic framework 2016-2021. (Brussels, 8-10/11/2016)
- A delegation will attend the COP22 in Morocco where several activities are planned: side event with CCFD-Terre Solidaire and Action contre la Faim on ‘Understanding agriculture in relation to industrial food systems, compensation and food security’ (15 November, Conference centre), side event on ‘Solutions for sustainable food systems in a time of climate change’ (17 November, Green Zone) in collaboration with our members and partners. Additionally, Misereor, ActionAid International and Heinrich Böll Foundation (HBF) will hold a side-event entitled ‘The 1.5°C challenge: Promises and Pitfalls of Technofix Climate Politics’ (9 November, Conference centre). (Marrakech, 7-18/11/2016). Moreover, together with other members of the ‘Partners for Resilience’ Alliance, Cordaid will organise an event at the Development and Climate Days. (Marrakech, 12-13/11/2016)
- A delegation will attend the 5th UN Forum on Business and Human Rights as well as related civil society side events. (Geneva, 14-16/11/2016)
- CIDSE members − CCFD-Terre Solidaire, Entraide et Fraternité and Misereor − will participate in the Nyéléni (Europe Movement for Food Sovereignty) 2nd Forum (Romania, 26-30/10/2016).
- A CIDSE delegation took part in the third meeting of Iglesias y Minería (Churches and Mining Network), which brought together 50 religious leaders from various countries. Prior to the conference, delegates also met with representatives from CELAM (Conferencia Episcopal Latino Americana) together with representatives of REPAM (Red Eclesial Pan-Amazónica) and Iglesias y Minería. (Bogota/Colombia, 1-4/09/2016)
- Secretariat staff visited Development and Peace, CAFOD, Focsiv, CCFD-Terre Solidaire, Trócaire and Manos Unidas as part of the series of visits to member organisations to present the new CIDSE strategic framework and discuss its implementation. More visits are planned by the end of the year to Broederlijk Delen, Entraide et Fraternité, KOO and SCIAF.
- CIDSE’s Secretary General was invited to make a presentation at a joint consultation on ‘Laudato Si’ and the path to COP22 in Marrakech’ organised by the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace and the Academy of Sciences. Participants were joined by Pope Francis at the end of the seminar for an exchange. (Vatican city, 28/09/2016). A few weeks later, he was also invited to speak at a conference on climate change at the Polish Parliament. (Warsaw, 14/10/2016)
- A CIDSE delegation attended the Civil Society Mechanism (CSM) meeting (15-16/10/2016) and the 43rd session of the Committee on World Food Security (CFS) in Rome. On this occasion the CSM released an analytical guide on ‘Connecting smallholders to markets’ for CSOs and social movements. (17-21/10/2016)
- On World Food Day, the campaign ‘Change for the Planet - Care for the People’ took the opportunity to highlight in social media what individual citizens and communities around the world, both in urban and rural areas, are doing to mitigate and adapt to the effects of climate change through sustainable food consumption and production, foster solidarity links between consumers and producers, and denounce false solutions.
- CIDSE participated in a seminar on Laudato Si’ and Sustainable Development Goals organised during the MIJARC (International Catholic Movement of Rural Youth) World Assembly in India (10-12/10/2016. It also took part in the People’s Forum on BRICS. (Goa/India, 13-14/10/2016)
Blogs and articles
- CIDSE, Friends of the Earth Europe, Brot für die Welt, SOMO and IBFAN written statement for the second session of the Open-ended intergovernmental working group on transnational corporations and other business enterprises with respect to human rights as well as oral statement. (Geneva, 24–28/10)
- UN Treaty on transnational corporations, other business enterprises & human rights: Options for justice, report of legal seminar organised by Brot für die Welt, Friends of the Earth Europe, CIDSE and SOMO. (Brussels, 30-31 May 2016)
- Report of session organised by SOMO, CIDSE, Friends of the Earth Europe and TNI at the Dutch EU Presidency Conference “EU Roadmap to Business and Human Rights”. (Amsterdam, 11/05/2016) (pp. 31-33)
- Catholic agencies welcome official signing of peace agreement in Colombia, CIDSE-Caritas Internationalis Colombia Working Group statement. (26/09/2016)
- CIDSE Highlights Special Issue on World Social Forum 2016. (Montreal, 9-14/08/2016)
- New entries on CIDSE’s blog series on gender equality: Meeting at the intersection by Jennifer Henry/Kairos: Canadian Ecumenical Justice Initiatives (Canada), Reading Laudato Si’ with a gender lens by Teresa Toldy (Portugal), Setting the Scene to Dismantle Corporate Power in Southern Africa by Ilham Rawoot (South Africa), Rural Women’s Assembly in Swaziland by Mercia Andrews (South Africa), Women and agroecology, the struggle of everyday by Adriana Galvão Freire/AS-PTA (Brazil)
- A hopeful road to justice: reporting on the International Monsanto Tribunal, blog by Giulia Bondi, CIDSE
- Don’t silence our voice, blog by
- Agroecology: a growing movement for change, blog by Chiara Martinelli, CIDSE
- The Courage to Embrace Radical Choices in the Face of the Climate and Food Crisis, Op-Ed by Doreen Stabisky, Professor at the College of the Atlantic, published in Common Dreams
- Farmers regaining control of their seeds: the alternative to Monsanto in the Philippines, Op-Ed by Cris Panerio, National Coordinator, MASIPAG (Philippines), published in The Rules
NEWS FROM THE MEMBERSHIP & THE SECRETARIAT