|Time to make the right choices
14 May 2014
For a good Financial Transactions Tax in Europe
CIDSE's reaction and Catholic Leaders' statement
Some European countries will have a FTT by 1st January 2016. It must reach beyond the foreseen "shares and some derivatives". The whole tax is left vulnerable, does not target large-scale speculators nor define what the gains will be used for.
Read more >
Taking stock of Sustainable Development Goals at the UN
Open Working Group on Sustainable Development Goals' 11th Session
In developing the successor goals to the MDGs, we move towards formulating SDGs. A credible development framework post-2015 must meet the needs of the poorest people and act on the environmental crises we face. CIDSE is active in the Open Working Group on Sustainable Development Goals.
Read more >
One year on from the Rana Plaza disaster in Bangladesh
Developing an intergovernmental process towards a UN binding instrument
One of the worst industrial catastrophes in history put the spotlight on workers' human rights. Leading up to the UN Human Rights' Council session in June this year, CIDSE calls for a binding UN instrument on business and human rights.
Read more >
- CIDSE delegations will take part in the UNFCCC climate change negotiations (Bonn, 4-15/06/2014) and the 26th Session of the UN Human Rights Council (Geneva, 10-27/06/2014).
- A delegation of European Bishops supported by CIDSE will visit Guatemala (21-28/06/2014).
- CIDSE Directors will meet with Catholic strategic partners at a special session in Worth Abbey/UK (6-7/07/2014).
- CIDSE will organise a follow-up workshop on paradigm shift (Brussels, 9-10/09/2014).
- CIDSE 2013 annual report (EN/ES/FR)
- "Financing Sustainable Development: Are we up to the challenge?" CIDSE Recommendations (EN/FR).
- CIDSE stock-take on the Open Working Group on Sustainable development goals (EN).
- “UN Business & Human Rights Framework: Developing an intergovernmental process towards a binding instrument”, CIDSE Briefing Note (EN/ES/FR).
- "Space for Civil Society – How to Protect and Expand an Enabling Environment", CIDSE-Act Alliance research paper (EN).
- New CIDSE President, Heinz Hödl visited CIDSE and its two Belgian members, Broederlijk Delen and Entraide et Fraternité (Brussels, 17-18/03/2014).
- Three CIDSE partner organisations attended the dialogue organised by the International Corporate Accountability Roundtable and the Danish Institute for Human Rights, in the context of their project “National Action Plans: State Strategies for the Implementation of the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights” (Bogota, 17 -18/03/2014).
- CIDSE met Mgr. Maroy, Archbishop of Bukavu/DR Congo during a visit to Brussels where he was invited to speak on the question of conflict minerals and the EU proposed legislation that aims at preventing European companies’ mineral purchases from financing conflict or human rights abuses (Brussels, 20/03/2014).
- CIDSE participated in the CSO/NGO Consultation for the FAO Regional Conference for Europe and Central Asia (Bucarest, 29-30/03/2014).
- Members of the CIDSE Resources for Development WG discussed the UN process on Financing Sustainable Development with Stefan Ohme, Advisor to Norbert Kloppenburg, German member of the UN Intergovernmental Expert Committee on Financing Sustainable Development (ICEFSD) (Berlin, 01/04/2014).
- CIDSE joined "#fastfortheclimate", an initiative started during the UN climate negotiations in Warsaw last November which will continue until a comprehensive international climate deal is reached (01/04/2014).
- CIDSE supported "The Europe Experience", an initiative of Christians for Europe in the run up to the European elections and took part in the launch event in the European Parliament (Brussels, 02/04/2014).
- On the occasion of the EU-Africa Summit, CIDSE supported the publication of an op-ed in the European Voice magazine by Archbishop Gabriel Anokye, Vice-President of SECAM, entitled “One hand cannot tie a package. ” SECAM (Symposium of Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar) also issued a position paper (Brussels, 2-3/04/2014).
- Tygodnik Powszechny, a Polish Catholic weekly magazine, published a series of articles on the international conference “Faith actors working together for climate justice” co-organised by CIDSE, Caritas Poland and the Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski University in November 2013. CIDSE is planning to publish an English version of these articles before summer (09/04/2014).
- CIDSE and APRODEV issued a joint recommendation on forced displacement in the West Bank area C (11/04/2014).
- CIDSE attended the 2nd CSO workshop dedicated to preparations for public mobilisation in 2015 for the UN Conference of the Parties on Climate change (COP21) (Paris, 15-16/04).
DEPARTURES AND ARRIVALS
- CIDSE's Climate Officer, Emilie Johann left the Secretariat on 17 April to work for Secours Catholique-Caritas France. Her successor, Meera Ghani, will join the CIDSE team on 1st July. Meera has worked previously for CAN-Europe.
- Alistair Dutten has been appointed Director of SCIAF, CIDSE's Scottish member. He will take up his duties in August 2014. In the meantime, Philippa Bonella continues to act as Interim Director.