|Vacancy at Protection International
Advocay Officer based in Brussels, Belgium (30 hours per week)
Protection International is an equal opportunities employer
Protection International (PI) is recruiting an Advocacy Officer for its work around the world
PI is an international not-for-profit organization. It researches strategies and security management tools that protect human rights defenders, and shares its expertise in this area with people at risk due to their human rights work. PI sees human rights defenders as agents of change who form a pillar of free and just societies. In many parts of the world the defence of human rights evokes pressure, threats and attacks from state and non-state actors. PI works with local human rights movements to develop strategies and programmes aimed at preventing and countering such pressure. PI tailors its approach to context and profile. It works in Asia, Africa, Europe and Latin-America, with presence in Thailand, Indonesia, Kenya, DR Congo, Colombia, Guatemala, and Belgium (head-office).
The Advocacy Officer is part of a team of three, with a Media Production Officer and an Outreach and Communication Officer, and works from PI’s head office in Brussels with occasional overseas travel. PI uses advocacy, alongside research and capacity building, to achieve a three-fold mission:
The Advocacy Officer:
- empower HRDs to protect themselves
- bring authorities to fulfil their duty to protect
- and to make stakeholders do more and better for the protection of HRD
- supports PI’s field presence in bringing change where we operate: identification of issues, opportunities and elaboration, capacity building and implementation of influencing strategies
- analyses relevant developments and dynamics in the international context and elaborates the corresponding lobbying agenda for PI
- makes PI’s work and impact visible for selected audiences
Required Skills and Knowledge
- University degree in international relations, journalism, law, social sciences, or related studies is required
- Minimum three years of relevant experience in crafting and implementing influencing strategies in the field of human rights is required; specific experience in the field of the protection of human rights defenders is highly desirable
- Experience living and working in Asia, Africa and/or Latin-America is advantageous
- Ability to travel to other European countries and overseas, several times a year
- Experience in making the voice of others heard with their informed consent is an asset
- Fluency in English is required. Fluency in Spanish, French, Arabic and Russian are assets
- Knowledge of UN, European, Inter-American, Asian and/or African intergovernmental protection systems is an asset
- Ability to identify issues of greatest importance and issues that are most capable of being influenced; proven ability to craft and implement influencing strategies
- Proven experience in using a variety of channels and media
- Knowledge of and experience working in international human rights and familiarity with international human rights law is an important asset
- Strong communicator (written, verbal, and presentational) and ability to frame debates and to develop powerful key messages that influence change in English is a requirement. Having such skills in Spanish, French is an asset
- Team-player, ability to multi-task, plan and organise, and ability to work under pressure and against deadlines. Proven ability to work closely together with colleagues and partners overseas
- Sound decision-making in line with functions
A one-year, renewable contract with a four months’ probation period, governed by Belgian law. 30 hrs/week under flexible arrangement. Minimal relocation package. The applicant will need to obtain a Belgian work-permit.
Further information about the activities of Protection International can be obtained from www.protectioninternational.org
- Please send your resume, cover letter and names and contact details of 3 references by 6 April 2014 to the following email: email@example.com, making mention of ‘Advocacy Officer’ in the subject line.
- Please include your name in the file name of your application documents, e.g. John_Smith_CV.doc.
- Do not attach any certificates or references at this stage of the recruitment process.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
|Copyright © 2013 Protection International, All rights reserved.
You're receiving this e-mail because you subscribed to receive weekly updates on the situation of human rights defenders on our website protectioninternational.org