October 2019 Oakwood Farmers’ Market
This Saturday 19th October, 9-12:30pm
at Oakwood Clock come and experience the joy of good food, coffee, grocery shopping
and the great Farmers' Market community spirit
The music this month will be provided by
Headingley Voices Community Choir
The market runs once a month, follow the link to the REAP Farmers' Market web page for details of our regular stall holders who offer:
- meat joints, burgers, chicken, bacon, pies and highland beef
- fresh fish, eggs, cheese, butter and rape seed oil and honey
- plants, flowers, fruit and vegetables.
- soups, sauces and fruit juice.
- bread, patisseries and pastries
- Italian home made donuts and cannelloni
- gluten free pastries
- fresh parathas, chutneys, pakora, samosas
- fresh coffee to drink now and to take away
Remember everything is produced locally and is fresh, organic, seasonal and/or free range.
Swillington's Organic Farm will in future share a stall with their butchers Head Bangers and will be known as
SOF and Head Bangers
We have seven Guest Stalls this month:
Showcasing award-winning cheeses by Wensleydale Creameries, the perfect cheese to suit your individual palette is just waiting to be discovered in our online shop. Using only the finest time honoured recipes, every cheese in the Wensleydale selection is hand crafted using locally sourced milk to give you the ultimate taste of Yorkshire.
Seeds to Sow
We provide high quality seeds for both the experienced and novice gardener.
We only use 3 things to grow our tasty microgreens; ORGANIC seeds, ORGANIC soil and H2o
Plate 2 Plate Compost
Food waste collections and top notch compost
Luddenden Valley Wines
Yorkshire Fruit and Country Wines and liqueurs
Bad Dog Cakes
Artisan traybake company
Home made Jams and Chutneys made with produce from the garden
This is a community run market, not for profit.
Roundhay declares a Climate Emergency
Leeds City Council declared a Climate Emergency in March 2019.
In response to this the REAP stall will continue to encourage people to sign up for carbon reduction pledges for the Climate Emergency in Roundhay. ( Pat/Helen - is this OK? Will there be more footprints etc for people to take next time?)
REAP is adopting the old phone box on Lidgett Park Road by St Edmund’s Church. Get in touch with your ideas for how it might be used. Community information? Library?
REAP Gardening Group
The REAP Gardening Group will be at the market as usual harvesting and weeding our Oakwood Edible Bed. Come over and try some of the fruit and veg, chat about producing our own food and join our growing community.
The Big Banana Garden
Progress is being made on the Banana Bed, follow the link to see what is being done and find out about working parties, if you would like to help.
You can still pick up a REAP lidded reusable bamboo cup
for the subsidised price of £3.00
This month will be
Gledhow Valley Conservation Area Group
As before, we will be bringing along information boards displaying the history of the conservation area via means of pictures, wording and maps with a view to informing and encouraging the local community in the preservation of the local heritage within the conservation area which stretches across the valley from Gledhow to Chapel Allerton.”
Friends of Roundhay Park
Will have their 2020 Calendars for sale.
The dates for the market are here.
Every 3rd Saturday
Oakwood has a not-for-profit cinema run by volunteers. Selling great ice cream, popcorn and refreshments at affordable prices. There’s also a fully licensed bar and you can take your drinks into the auditorium.
Next film on Sat 26th October is
Events in Roundhay Park*
Once again, thanks to the Friends of Roundhay Park for this monthly round-up of events in the park.
- Free Tennis Coaching (from age 5 to adults), tennis courts, last Saturday in the month, 2-4 pm.
- Leeds Rowing Club, Waterloo Lake, weekend mornings
- British Military Fitness Training, meet at Princes Avenue Car Park, Monday and Wednesday evenings, Friday and Saturday mornings
- outFIT Fitness Training, meet at the Lakeside Cafe Car Park, Monday and Wednesday evenings, Saturday mornings
- Roundhay parkrun (free, timed 5 Km, on Saturdays at 9 am), meet at the bandstand at the top of the Carriage Ride from 8:45. To be timed, register online at parkrun.org.uk
- Carnegie Brazilian Soccer Schools, on Soldiers' Field between Old Park Road and Princes Avenue, Saturday mornings
- Roundhay Runners, meet at Princes Avenue car park, Thursday evenings at 7pm
- Leeds Cycling Campaign - All the rides are sociable and supportive, aiming to get folk into cycling or helping people return to cycling. Easy and easy plus rides on Saturday morning 14-22 miles. Easy plus to Intermediate rides on Tuesday mornings 22-35 miles. Intermediate to Long rides on Sundays 35-80 miles.
To receive the monthly round-up of events that John Ferguson compiles for FoRP, contact: Messages@forp.co.uk.
The REAP eBulletin is produced by Judy Summerhill and Nick Claiden for REAP members and anyone else interested in local, community and environmental issues in Roundhay and more widely.
Follow us on Twitter
Find out more about the work we do in the community, go to www.reap-leeds.org.uk
Become a member or find out more, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
*These events are not organised by REAP