"Running with physical distancing"
Rabbit Island / Moturoa Courses
Information for Rabbit Island / Moturoa Event, Saturday 23rd May.
By popular demand after last Saturday's event, we are going to hold another semi-virtual event with four course options, based at the Totara Domain on Rabbit Island/Moturoa.
Once again, for Contact Tracing purposes, we need to keep a register of those attending this event, so we ask you to fill in your details on this online form before the event, to minimise interaction with our timekeepers. On arrival, also give your name to registration so that we can log your arrival time at the event.
For full course details, maps and photos, click here.
The event starts and finishes at the junction of the gravel roads between our “normal” cross-country start area and the circular concrete toilet block. We will keep the same short course of 7.5kms and a longer course of 10kms, but this Saturday you can run the courses in either direction. You can do either or both. If you want to do both courses and you’re recording with Strava, don’t stop your GPS, just run through the finish of your first course and commence your second course. Some folks had difficulty with the directions/instructions last week, so print off your own copy and bring it with you.
Once again, you can run/walk the course any time on Saturday, but if you wish to participate in total isolation, do so before 12noon. Between 12noon and 4pm we will provide a registration and timing person from Waimea Harriers.
To prevent incomplete recording of your course segment using a Strava watch or phone, ensure you have a satellite connection, start your device and run from the toilet block, along the road towards the junction and continue through the start line. At the end of your route, run left through the junction for another 50m before you stop your watch or phone. Ditto in reverse if you're doing the courses in reverse.
Our Waimea Harrier flag and registration table will be near the start/finish in the Totara picnic area from 12noon.
We ask you to observe the following Covid 19 Health and Safety protocols:
• Please stay home if you are feeling unwell, whether you are intending to run or are a support person.
• This is a "non-touch" event. Do not touch any of our equipment or personnel. Bring your own sanitiser if needed.
• Physical distancing of 2 metres should be maintained wherever possible, especially from people that you don’t know.
• Good personal hygiene practices should continue – wash and dry your hands before and after activities, cough into elbow and don’t touch your face. No gobbing or snotting in the vicinity of others.
• No social gathering around the registration or start & finish area. Please park your vehicle somewhere away from registration and walk to the start area.
• Do not mingle with other groups before/after your run/walk. Keep physically distanced wherever possible.
• If you wish to meet up with other runners or walkers, keep your group size to a max. of 8.
• Bring your own drink bottles as no water will be provided.
• If large numbers turn up, you'll be asked to wait your turn and keep physical distancing.
*Please note that if you are cycling to the event, the Great Taste Trail will have a temporary closure at the Ravensdown works section on Saturday for the opening of the duck shooting season. There will be a diversion along the main road for this section so please take care if you are cycling. Closed Midnight-10am & 4pm-Midnight. Open 10am - 4pm.
**Remember Waimea Harrier membership for 2020 is now open.
You may join the club on line here.
We are taking orders for Club Jackets, the first order cut-off date is 10th June. This year the Club will be subsidising Club Jackets and these will cost $50 to 2020 paid up members. Please email Elaine & John at email@example.com if you would like one. As you can see in the photo below, the jackets are very smart, warm and comfortable to wear!
You could include your payment when you join up online here.
Look forward to seeing you again this Saturday and spread the word that the event is open to everyone, no club membership required.