August 2013


Manufacturing Advisory Service - the Manufacturing Advisory Service has a number of events running in the South West  click here to find out more.

LEP Network - the LEP Network is the hub for LEPs throughout the country -  visit  lepnetwork.org.uk



The Heart of the South West LEP has been formed under the leadership of the private sector supported by the local authorities from Devon, Plymouth, Somerset and Torbay to create a powerful economic alliance.

Produced monthly, this newsletter aims to keep people informed of current news and activity.

www.heartofswlep.co.uk

Five transport schemes get green light

Five transport schemes across Devon and Somerset have got a green light from the LEP's Local Transport Board – the new body charged with funding major schemes in the area.
 
The board has given the go ahead in principle to five projects out of an initial list of 12 potential proposals.

The five initial schemes are:
  • Bridge Road widening, Exeter - £4.55 million
  • Derriford/ William Prance Road Junctions, Plymouth - £5.76 million
  • Marsh Barton/ Edginswell railway stations - £3 million
  • Torbay Western Corridor - £7.3 million
  • Yeovil Western Corridor - £6.49 million
The Local Transport Boards are part of a new system set up in conjunction with local transport authorities, the LEPs and the Department for Transport to allocate major scheme funding at a local level for road, rail, pedestrian and cycle schemes up to £15m.

£27.1m of funding over four years has been allocated to the HotSW Local Transport Board in a surprise decision from the Department for Transport, which had previously indicated a higher figure of £40m.

To read more on this story, click here.



Growth Strategy - update

The Heart of the South West has now started work on developing an overarching Growth Strategy.  This document will inform all the other strands of our work and will be reflected in both the City Deal and the Structural Investment Fund strategies.

The deadline for the submission of the first draft is December, but we have embarked on this now to ensure a coordinated approach throughout all our work strands.

To gain more information and help shape the strategy, we're in the process of developing a stakeholder survey.

Once launched, we will be asking all our stakeholders to complete the survey and help determine our future growth.


Rural Enterprise Grant

Funding is still available from the HotSW Rural Enterprise Grant (REG) in rural Devon and Somerset. 

The grant supports micro-businesses to develop, expand and stimulate growth. 

Target sectors include manufacturing, ICT, energy, business services and creative industries.
 
The minimum grant available is £10,000, with a minimum total project value of £25,000 and expenditure can include capital equipment (please use the hyperlink below to view a full list). 

Businesses can apply for 40% of eligible costs and will need to find the remaining 60% of costs.
 
The REG Programme is run by Devon County Council on behalf of HotSW and is supported by the Rural Development Programme for England (RDPE), managed by Defra and part financed by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development: Europe investing in rural areas.
 
For more information please visit our website.


Grads for Growth

Local businesses need support, talented local graduates need meaningful employment; Grads for Growth is an exciting way to achieve both goals.

If you’re an SME with a six to nine month innovation project, Grads for Growth takes the strain - and most of the risk out of recruiting by helping define the role, advertise, shortlist and interview.

A business development team and project investment are also on offer, as well as access to leading South West universities.
 
For graduates, Grads for Growth helps develop your skills and provides high-quality mentoring.

To find out more visit gradsforgrowth.co.uk or contact Oliver Laity 07557 191637.

We are happy to advertise invitations to tender and open business opportunities in this newsletter. 

If there's something you'd like to see included please let us know.
Copyright © 2013 Heart of the South West, All rights reserved.