Tri2O Triathlon Club - Newsletter
Tri2O News
Hi everyone and welcome to the latest newsletter

Some great pieces to read in this newsletter...please email me at * with with anything you would like to include.

Good luck to all in the Worlds at all distances!  We look forward to hearing your experiences
My First Tri - Sabrina Ward
Having watched my husband complete his first Triathlon at Eaton Dorney I was inspired. 

There were People with different abilities, shape and sizes supporting and cheering each other on. Such a great environment where no one was being judged. The only competition is yourself.  I decided there and then that I wanted to have ago so entered the womens only sprint event for the following year. 400 meter swim, 20 km cycle and 5 km run.

Having completed Reading Half marathon this year the running didn’t bother me.. what is 3 miles after all? { missing an episode of Emmerdale a couple of times a week  is no biggy}. Cycling is something that I love so another tick in the Tri box looking good so far.... but then the realisation of having to learn to swim hit me. I could not swim I was not a swimmer !!  

After several months and lessons I  learnt to swim front crawl. With my newly purchased wet suit we headed down Tri 20 Swim centre. I was confident with the support of my husband that I could get round half that lake. So so wrong! major panic attack and hysteria , goggles filled with tears I needed towing out ! Everyone at the lake, my fellow Tri 20 members encouraged and supported me to keep going and not give up. A few therapy sessions to conquer my fear of open water and being out of my depth followed and I was ready!

What an amazing day!  The swim was hard for me I managed to swim past the first buoy without stopping and the rest of the swim was down to a demented stroke. The support crew were great, they saw that I was struggling a little and rowed besides the rest of the way.  Seeing my husband cheering me on from the bank with my children kept me going.  As I climbed out the lake wobbly legged I clutched my chest and the tears fell and a smile spread across my face. I had done it.. swam the 400 meters.  

Taking off the wet suit was an epic mission, I hadn’t practiced that bit!  After alot of laughing with  my fellow tri athletes  many of whom  were in a similar position  it
was finally off.  Helmet on, race belt clipped I un racked my bike and off  I sped. Loved it ! Even though it rained continuously from the cycle to returning and racking my bike back up with ease I ran out of transition  and trotted off.  My legs didn’t feel like my own and my knees didn’t seem to raise but I felt great . I was doing my first triathlon and loving every minute of it.

Crossing that finishing line was amazing, the sense of achievement was immense.  I had conquered my fears of swimming and finished the first of many sprint tris to come.  Only sprints I'm not that crazy to push myself further yet .......... 
Ironman UK 70.3 Wimbleball - Jason Barrett
It’s 4am as I hear the first raindrops hit the roof of the tent, 2 hours later I’m still awake.  

After tea and a shower I stroll over to check my bike for a final time before suiting up for the swim.  I arrive to find a completely flat front tyre.  

Stay calm I tell myself, as I walk down to the lake and then I see an energetic and smiley Callum bouncing past me like Tigger, taking onboard a breakfast gel and wishing me luck – late as usual for his start!  It starts raining again but so what I’m in a wetsuit.  Swim done – I change in a steamy transition tent and exit onto the bike as the rain continues to pour.  

The bike course was hilly, windy and cold.  They say its one of the toughest 70.3s in the world and I will vouch for that.  They say that there are 54 hills in 56 miles on the bike course – it felt like more!

As I dismount and attempt to rack my bike in T2, my saddle comes off in my hand…I drop my bike on the floor and tell the steward (just in case they try and disqualify me for some obscure Ironman bye-law).

Running out of T2 I feel OK – I think of Katie as I adjust my pink sun-visor and race off.  On the first couple of laps the Tri2O support and cheers from my family are great but by the 3rd lap my legs have completely gone and I start walking up every slight incline.

It must have been dehydration off the bike as I reach for water, coke and redbull at nearly every food station.  I say to myself that the time isn’t important but finishing is, but as get to the last lap I start to calculate my pace and determine to finish in under 7 hours.

I reach the finishing straight thumping my legs to keep them from cramping up.  Apparently I missed my sons attempt at a high five but instead high fived Nick Lees before crossing the line in 6:54 (a mere 2 hours behind Callum and Nick Parris’s relay team).  It was my toughest mental and physical test to date.  Huge respect to anyone that completes this race.   
Fantastic fundraisers swim the English Channel and back in under 24 hours!
Under the auspices of the Channel Swimming Association Paul Bampton, 35, Glyn Bevans, 56, Richard Dines, 51, and Pete Lillie, 56, became only the third four-man team to complete the double crossing since records began in 1927, finishing in 23 hours 20 mins and raising more than £10,000 for Sue Ryder Nettlebed Hospice in Oxfordshire.
The men met while swimming at Bradfield College sports centre over a number of years and soon became good friends, supporting each other at a number of events. Of the four, Richard was the only one with previous experience of swimming across the English Channel, completing the swim last year in 13 hours 8 mins. Glyn is currently a GB Team Manager for British Triathlon; managing the duathlon team for the European Championships 2014-16 and having previously represented GB at the Age Group 2013 World Triathlon Championship Final in London.
The team – who named themselves ‘Not Over Until Dover’ - left Dover at 5am on Friday, July 10, with Richard the first man in the water setting out from Samphire Hoe at 5:43am. They swam in one-hour relay shifts before swapping with the next person, waiting on board the Sea Leopard - their support vessel for the challenge - when not in the water.
Pete Lillie was the man who stepped ashore in France. He said: “There’s something special about starting the swim back from France as it’s not allowed anymore unless you have already swum over from England. However, we soon began to realise this leg was going to be tough as conditions worsened overnight in comparison to the outward swim.” As it would turn out Pete was the final swimmer, coming ashore back in England to complete the challenge.
As Pete swam ashore in France, team member Paul was watching from the support boat. He says: As I watched Pete swim into France he was joined by three seals, which swam close behind him as he landed the first leg. Luckily he didn’t realise they were there or he could have had quite a scare!” The seals accompanied the team back out again as they started the return leg.
The overnight return swim was particularly hard as the wind got up against the tide, causing quite a challenging swell as night fell. Both Paul and Glyn had to swim for an hour each in the dark through some of the largest blooms of jellyfish seen, suffering extensive and painful stings all over their bodies.
Pete said: “Watching Paul and then Glyn battle their way through the jellyfish was soul destroying as it was my turn to swim next. It was pitch black at night in the middle of the channel and knowing I was about to jump into the unknown, hearing Paul and Glyn's cries of pain, was making me feel sick. I got the five minute call, changed and composed myself. There was no turning back. I stood on the side of the boat watching Glyn complete his hour 
then over the side I went. The water was bloody cold but the jellyfish were thinning out - I got lucky! No stings and another hour completed.”
Lloyd Clark-Morris was on board the Sea Leopard looking after the team. He said: “It was horrible telling the team members that it was their turn to do their next hour when I knew I was sending them to an hour full of torment and stings from jellyfish. At times I felt like a 'mother hen' tucking the team in and making sure they kept as warm and well fed as possible.”
Family and supporters were able to track the team’s progress in real time by following the position of the Sea Leopard as well as through a live blog that the team updated throughout the swim.
To make this an official swim, and in line with the CSA (Channel Swimming Association) regulations, the men completed the challenge in only standard swim shorts, a silicone hat and goggles.

Most teams attempting this challenge are made up of six members, whereas ‘Not Over Till Dover’ was only a four-man team, making the feat much harder. 
Richard said: “It was harder than we had thought but we were pushing the pace throughout and keeping one eye on how far we still had to swim! The whole swim and the way it was achieved validated our 9 months of hard work, it paid off immensely - especially the sets of multiple one hour swims at a challenging pace with one hour rest intervals.”
He continues: “The team work that we had built up through training was the back bone of our resilience on the day, in combination with the skipper, crew and observers on board Sea Leopard; without whom, it’s simply not possible to achieve such a feat.” 
Glyn says his favourite moment of the swim came during the outbound leg: “Swimming as long as I could to one side of Sea Leopard - next to the bow - as the sun sparkled off the water was very special; the closest feeling I’ll have to being a dolphin!”
To donate to the group's JustGiving page, total raised so far £10,934

The Outlaw Experience - Justin Watkins
So I've just completed my main event for the year, the full distance Outlaw Triathlon on 26th July. This was the second time I've entered the event after completing it last year. Really the last 9 months have been geared to training for the Outlaw which has seen me try to improve my overall fitness, strength and techniques.
My training has generally been mixed whereby I go to immortal fitness bootcamp about 3 days a week, play football once a week, and swim, bike and run whenever I can. However by far the most enjoyable way I like to train is to enter many events. I'm not a great trainer and by entering events I find it easier to motivate myself, track progress and prepare and fuel myself better.
I've enjoyed bootcamp and feel this has proved to be a vital part of my training making me fitter, stronger and improving my core strength. In terms of events my year started with running, entering a number of cross country events before a few spring half marathons and ending with the London Marathon. After London it was time to get back into the lakes as the Tri season was upon us. I've certainly done a few, Hart, Bradfield, Dorney evenings, London ITU in Hyde park, a 70.3 at Dorney followed by Windsor the next day, Marlow, Wellington and probably a few more.
As well as entering Triathlons, May, June and July saw me stepping up my swimming with many early mornings at Bray building up the laps round the lake and over 500 miles of sportives on the Bike.
Following all my training I felt I was in great shape for the Outlaw. I put the time and the training in, felt stronger and really felt good for the bike and was looking forward to knocking some time off, over the bike course.
This year would prove to be a different Outlaw with the main differences being that I was traveling and competing alone, it wasn't my first time and instead of 28C temperatures we were set for wind, rain and 12C.
I arrived in Nottingham Saturday lunchtime, parked up in the campsite before taking a stroll over to registration and the hour long pre-race briefing; whilst being plied with pints of Erdinger! Following this I headed back to the campsite, erected my tent and got my things together for the race. Bags sorted and stickers stuck on the bike I headed off to transition to rack my bike and drop my bags off.
It was then back to the tent for pasta and some kip.
My alarm sounded at 4am, I put the kettle on and made some porridge and coffee. Then it was off down to transition with the track pump to inflate my tyres. Back to the tent and wetsuit on, before strolling down to the start.
6am and with not a cloud in the sky and the sun just rising, we started to a round of cheers. The lake was much clearer and with little weed compared to last year. I think I was more prepared for the free for all too, as the 1100 triathletes started at the same time. I had a good swim and was chuffed to take 4 mins off last year completing the 3800ms in 1:30, especially as I felt my swimming hadn't got any better. 
Then onto the bike and I'd elected to wear a short sleeved cycling top with a long sleeved jacket over it. I was going to be hot for the first 3 hours but hopefully warmer when the wind and rain came at  about 11am. I started well and was keeping to 18mph when at 29 miles I dropped down into my tri bars and my back went ping at the base of my spine. I was now in trouble, I couldn't drive the pedals round with any power and every 100-200 meters I had to stand up and straighten my back which destroyed any rhythm. To make matters worse the heavens opened and the wind got up. This was to be the most painful and miserable cycle ever. The one ray of sunshine was at about 85 miles I managed to trigger point and relive some of the tension in my back, making the last 30 odd miles a bit more comfortable. 
Finally I got back to Holme Pierpoint and was really pleased to have recorded a PB on the bike still taking 3 mins off last year and finishing in 7:05.
I dropped the bike off and headed into transition. This proved to be challenging as I'd lost any feeling in my left hand with the cold and couldn't tie my running shoe laces. After many attempts I managed it and off I headed back out into the elements. Even after months of preparation I made a school boy error and hadn't realised how cold it was going to be and hadn't brought a rain jacket with me. I thought from looking at my phone the week before that it would be a warm rain of about 20C, but instead it would be what felt like an icy 12C, with me in just a Tri2O running vest.
The run was slow and painful and sections of the course along the Trent were badly waterlogged making it annoying trying to dodge the puddles and other runners coming the other way. I was hampered a bit with my back and my calf was hurting too, but I drove on the best I could; seeking a sub 15 and then just a PB. But as hard as I tried I was getting slower and it would be hit and miss as to whether I could beat last years 15:25. As I completed my penultimate lap of Holme Pierpoint's regatta lake I realised that I was just going to miss out on 15:25 and the moment the penny dropped my head dropped too. I could then no longer run through the pain and had to struggle for the last 5K round the lake again. With 700m to go the clock read 15:25 and the PB was gone. Nevertheless I was about to complete my second Outlaw and was so proud of myself and put on a good finish coming down the red carpet.
It was a great crossing that line again and I loved it, I'd battled through many highs and lows and I'd done it. My time was 15:32:47. For a guy of my size and weight 140.6 miles is a long way and you never know what will happen on the day, but whatever happens you've got to battle on through it. If it was easy everyone would do it. No matter how prepared you are many things can come into play. 
After the Outlaw it's great they really look after you, first you get lots of Erdinger followed by a nice meal, a free massage and a shower. After all this it was time to see the cut-off party. We cheered the last successful competitor home in style on about 16:54 before they jokingly stopped the clock on 16:59:59 for the last two to come home, so they could receive a heroes welcome, a t-shirt and a medal. 
It was then back to the tent for a glass of champagne and time to reflect on a magnificent day. It had been hard, it had been fun, challenging, a learning experience, time to reflect many things and many people past and present and much, muchh more. But most of all it was where I wanted to be and doing what I love. I hope I'll be lucky enough to be back there again next year.

IM Bolton - Martin Cook

IMUK is held in Bolton. Goodness knows how they managed to end up in such an inappropriate location but it is what it is. I took part in the inaugural event in Bolton in 2009. We stayed then in the centre of Bolton and having wandered the streets for an hour ascertained that there were no restaurants in the town centre. Not cheap or expensive just nothing (I don’t count McDonalds).

Not a lot has changed over the years as far as I could tell. We stayed out near the stadium this time though and there were at least some restaurants in the trading estate. The most expensive Premier Inn I’ve ever stayed in.

Checkin was easy apart from the fact that their “security” had allowed some oik to crawl under the marquee and nick some of the bags which included mine. They therefore had to allocate a new number for me.

T1 is at the lake which is out of town. After the usual faffing I took my bike and to the lake but as I drove away I suddenly realised that I’d forgotten to put my socks in the bag. So another round trip through the busy traffic.

Back at the hotel I settled down to watch the TDF / Davis cup / ITU tri / open golf.

After the usual lack of sleep up at 3.15 to get the bus to the lake. It was raining. Seriously raining. No issues with the bike so all was set (they supplied plenty of track pumps which was just as well because although I had my very nice compact track travel pump it was so gloomy that I could not see the numbers on the gauge – must add “glasses” to the checklist).

They used a rolling start for the first time which was brilliant – for me it completely removed the dreadful anxiety that is generated leading up to a mass start and it was as good as I’d hoped in that it was possible to just calmly swim away from the pontoon in plenty of space (after I’d fallen off the end of the pontoon not realising that it didn’t extend to the bottom of the lake). I did however have one of my worst swims in terms of cramp with it constantly nagging away during the second lap which was not surprisingly slower than the first lap. It also didn’t help that the rain became so heavy that at one stage it was actually difficult to see the next buoy. Not a good omen.

As usual I fought long and hard to escape from my wetsuit. I won eventually. In the T1 tent you could hardly hear what anyone was saying due to the intensity of the rain on the roof. As I ran out to the bike the puddles had already formed and it was torrential. Glad I had my coat which kept me nice and dry for all of the time it took to get to my bike. Thereafter I guess it at least provided some measure of warmth.

Almost immediately after exiting transition I went past Harriet. Nice to see a friend when going through such misery. The rain lasted for about an hour or so on the bike and then thankfully the rest of the day was dry. I was going along nicely at my target power but then just after the Sheephouse climb for the second time my steering felt a bit odd. In denial I ignored the obvious evidence of a puncture for a few miles but eventually stopped and confirmed a front tyre puncture. There followed a fairly incompetent swapping of the tube. Luckily one of the roving mechanics came upon me and supplied a track pump which helped.

Setting off I pretty soon came across Harriet again. Nice to see a friend!

After this stop I was a bit discouraged and struggled to maintain my target power output. I eventually finished the bike in around 6.15 excluding the puncture stop which even given the wet start was slower than I’d hoped. Entering T2 my wife told me that I was 7 minutes behind 2nd place that being more than likely a Kona slot so I perked up a bit although given the way the bike had gone I seriously doubted that a decent run was possible.

In fact I was pleasantly surprised to find that I set off on the run feeling pretty good. I’ve had this in the past though and the last two IM runs had been a good 20k followed by a complete meltdown. After only a few k my wife told me that I was now only 2 minutes off second place. This was looking promising. I kept up a consistent pace but then at about halfway my wife had good and bad news –I’d overtaken the 2nd place person but there was some annoying person in 4th who was running like the wind and had overtaken me. The run was probably the best I’d felt during an IM marathon, I never felt that I needed to walk and didn’t really hit a wall at any time. The backing off on the bike might have been a blessing in disguise (but more likely it was that I did actually take on all of the nutrition that I’d planned which makes a change). I saw Callum a few times going in the opposite direction on the run which was a boost as it meant that I had to try to make it look as though I was running nice and easy with good form. Just under 4 hours which I was very happy with.

The support on the bike and the run was brilliant and just as good as I’ve experienced in the other IM distance events that I’ve taken part in. Much better than in 2009.

A finish time of 11.46 was a big improvement on the 13 hours in 2009. 3rd place in my AG and it would have been very close for second without the puncture. 2 slots for Kona so I had to live in hope.

At the presentation the guy in 1st place didn’t turn up for his trophy so it was looking good for Kona. As it was the 2nd place guy didn’t take his slot either so I’m now planning a trip to Hawaii. The grown up kids have suddenly found an enthusiasm for supporting me which they assure me has nothing to do with it being in Hawaii. To be serious though they see it as a big achievement and really do want to support me and were even willing to fund the trip themselves.

Excellent that Harriet qualified as well. 4% of the slots went to TRI2O. Not bad.

Once again I failed to spot my wife in the crowd at the finish line. This is something that I need to practice prior to Hawaii. Perhaps I’ll send her into Reading and then go and try to find her although I’ll just need to go to White Stuff so that won’t work (a well known clothes shop for those of you who, like me, only ever use a bike shop for clothes shopping). Looks like she’ll just have to wear the Welsh dragon hat and the kids can wave the blow up leak and daffodil.

Hawaii will be race no. 10 at IM distance for me and will more than likely be my last at that distance so it’s nice that it takes me into double figures. It’ll be a busy build up as I’m in Chicago for the ITU grand final so we’ll fly back on the 21st September and fly to Hawaii on the 30th. Hardly worth coming back to the UK between races..

Join us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Visit the Tri2O website
Email Us

Welcome to the Tri2O newsletter

Don't forget to check out the members Facebook group for regular updates and discussions here

If you do not wish to receive communications from Tri2O, please opt out at the bottom of this mail.

Training Sessions

Swim: Monday 20:45-21:45. At Crosfields School, Shinfield. This is a coached session.  Sessions cost £7 on a weekly basis or £30 for the full six week term, or pay by monthly standing order £20

Swim: Friday 6-7am. At Bradfield College sports centre. This is a coached session.  Sessions cost £7 on a weekly basis or £30 for the full six week term, or pay by monthly standing order £20

Run: Friday 6.30-7.30pm. Tri2O members can use the Palmer Park Athletics Track. Entry costs £1.50. This is not a coached session. Runs also Tuesday eve - Prospect Park and Thursday eve - Caversham - check Facebook for times.

Cycle: Three regular groups go out every weekend, 12-14mph, 15-17mph & 18-20mph. Please check Facebook or email here to find out the schedule.
Membership update
Hello all and hope you are all enjoying race season! We're really pleased to welcome lots of new members to the club. They are:
Richard Cornes
Clare Fox
Christina Gustafson
Steve Ridley
Elena Solomides
Kirsty Johnson Cox
Wendy Rooke
Sabrina Ward
Pete Greenham
Ali Hodkin
Gavin Smith
Catherine Cole
Hope you all enjoy training and racing with Tri2o!
Best wishes

Save the dates!
We have 3 upcoming events:

Friday 2nd October - End of Season Social
Saturday 24th October - Bike ride in memory of Katie
Saturday 5th December - Christmas Party and Awards Night

More details to follow.....
Athlete of the Month is Vicky Chandler

1.How did you get into triathlon?

I’d been into cycling for a while (slowly especially up hill), taking on London to Paris in 2009 and Paris to Geneva in 2010, and had been thinking about triathlon just to prove to myself I could - although the thought of having to run at all let alone straight off the bike was putting me off.  My aunt was living with breast cancer at this time which made me to stop thinking and just do it.  I read a great book (Slow Fat Triathlete by Jayne Williams - highly recommended for anyone who isn’t a natural athlete and feeling intimidated by taking on their first triathlon) and entered Blenheim and the Shock Absorber Women Only Triathlon in 2011.  Unfortunately my aunt passed away before both events but I used them to raise some money for Breast Cancer Care in her memory.  I also got completely hooked on triathlon and joined Tri2o! 

2.What training session/s do you normally attend?

I have recently gone back to swimming with the Club on a Monday night – not quite there yet but I’m determined to crack front crawl and ditch the breaststroke in races at some point!

3.      What was your highlight of 2015?

 Being part of a Jubilee River Swim relay team with a lovely group of Tri2o ladies.  My first time swimming in a river, beautiful day, great company and time for a chat as well as a swim.

4.  What are your aspirations for 2016?
Regularly managing a sub-30 minute 5k at the end of a sprint tri and probably trying a longer distance – I really need a challenge / the fear factor to make me train properly for anything.

 5.      Favourite discipline and work out?

 It has to be the bike. I really miss going out on long rides but don’t have the time at the moment running around after my 2 year old.  I also love my weekly strength session with a personal trainer.  I struggle with consistent training so it’s definitely this that has made all the difference to my fitness this year.

6.      Top tip

 Get new kit delivered to work so you can sneak it home without anyone noticing and pretend you’ve had it ages.  I’ve been doing that with shoes and handbags for years.


Ringvaart Race Report - Jim Bryce

November; bought my 11 year old single sculling boat. Under the guidance of Dom and Ali my rowing coach set about training. Have you ever done a marathon (42km) on an indoor rowing machine? I have. Its quite boring. Training involved winter 5 hour single scull sessions; my hands developed a cucumber type shape but useless to me as covered in blisters. My bum felt like a 10 pin bowling ball with the extra holes.

Race day, 3rd June, windy Delft in Holland. The course crossed 2 lakes and then remained on the canals; 142 boats of which only 21 of us were in single sculls started. Crossing the first lake my boat, although buoyant, filled with water which had to be bailed using the handy cut in half water bottle given to me by a friendly Dutch man; it also doubled up as a receptacle for my personnel liquid. (too much info?)

The weather settled, as did my rhythm, at 22 strokes per minute. 11 hrs 37 min later, including breaks and bailing time  I manfully crossed the line. 13860 rowing strokes, a mighty sore butt and blisters on the hands with one of the really big ones bursting at 87km mark. 69th out of 142, and 9th out of the singles.

We have since banned Google in the house.



Forward to Friend
Copyright © 2015 Tri2O, All rights reserved.  

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp