News From MTI
Hello Mass Timber Colleagues!
Feature: Hybrid Smart Floor Systems
Termobuild has created a hybrid concrete and HVAC smart floor system to reduce energy use. Integrated Ventilation Design feeds air through ducts created in the concrete floors to take immediate and full advantage of the thermal properties of concrete. It consciously combines four systems into one: heating, cooling, fresh air ventilation, and thermal energy storage. When Termobuild is paired with a Heating And Cooling System it immediately becomes a smart asset and increases real estate value. The floor system has benchmarked HVAC system reductions from 40-50%.
Most of the year, the integrated ventilation operates as a dedicated outdoor air system (DOAS) - bringing fresh air indoors, while maintaining the highest standards of air quality and occupant comfort. Recirculation of stale air is rarely necessary, preventing sick building syndrome and the potential spread of infectious diseases. Year-round, non-hydronic radiant comfort provides the best occupant experience. Proposed in combination with mass timber, Termobuild's floor system solution facilitates low carbon, sustainable building design.
Image and Text Credit: Termobuild.
News from the Institute
1. MTI releases new information bulletin!
This bulletin is a quick guide to different types of mass timber products and how they are made. Read it on our webpage.
Image Credit: Sanjana Patel
Updates from our Partners
That's all for now -- thanks for reading!
- A group in Vancouver is seeking a mass timber specialist. If you are interested in the role, connect with Leila at Arbutus Search.
- Our partners at National Resources Canada have released a brief summary of the State of Mass Timber in Canada 2020 Report.
- Submissions are now closed for the 2020 Wood Design & Building Awards! For the latest updates on the awards, see their website.
- Mark your calendars for the Wood and Everything After conference on Feb. 25 - 26, 2021. Hosted by the University of Miami School of Architecture, the event will cover a range of mass timber industry updates.
- The Annual Buildings Show hosted a great webinar this month on Mass Timber. You can read about the Mass Timber MythBusters Webinar here.
- Congratulations to Forestry Innovation Investment on securing funding to launch the Mass Timber Demonstration Program for accelerating mass timber development in BC!
- Congratulations to R-Hauz on receiving venture funding for mass timber product delivery!