News From MTI
Hello Mass Timber Colleagues!
Feature: Academic Wood Tower
The Academic Wood Tower is a 14-storey mass timber structure that will house classroom and office space at the University of Toronto. Designed as a collaboration between Patkau Architects, MJMA and Blackwell Structural Engineers, the glue-laminated structure features a new approach to mass timber with an all timber lateral system and no concrete core. An 850 sq m floor plate size will give occupants ample space to admire panoramic views out of the glazed north façade. Views will be framed by the partially exposed timber bracing of the lateral system. Towards the base, the structural system will merge with the Goldring Center for High Performance Sport and the Munk School of Global Affairs to forge a new connection between the buildings. The project is set to begin construction late this year.
Image Credit: MJMA.
News from the Institute
Save the date for the Architect’s Newspaper mass timber conference, co-chaired by the Mass Timber Institute on March 18th & 19th! Tune in for a great lineup of speakers, panels, and roundtables. Register using this link to receive a 20% discount.
2. Welcome Onboard - Vanessa Nhan
Welcome to MTI’s newest team member! Vanessa Nhan is a Master of Forest Conservation student at the University of Toronto. She has a bachelor’s degree in biology with research experience in urban ecology and evolution investigating the effects of urbanization on plant-insect interactions. She discovered her interests in forestry and sustainability while working in Michigan’s beautiful northern hardwood forests conducting regeneration surveys across various alternative silviculture regimes. At the Mass Timber Institute, Vanessa continues to delve into her passion for sustainable forest management through her current project analyzing the sustainability of Ontario’s wood supply for mass timber.
3. MFC Capstone Papers
Congratulations to Master of Forest Conservation students Lindsay Dandridge and Feiran Xu for completion of their MFC capstone projects on mass timber. Their projects focused on mass timber in Saskatchewan and an economic analysis of a hypothetical Laminated Veneer Lumber mill in Northern Ontario. You can find copies of Lindsay Dandrige's and Feiran Xu's papers here.
Updates from our Partners
That's all for now -- thanks for reading!
- Looking for more mass timber events? The International Mass Timber Conference has gone virtual this year and will run from March 30-April 1. For more information check out the conference webpage.
- Structurecraft is looking for a Structural Engineer and a Structural Drafter to join their team. Find more information here.
- Welcome to incoming Dean Juan, her advocacy for affordable housing is a welcome challenge to the mass timber sector.
- The Daniels Art Directive is exhibiting their mural titled Support Black Designers. in the DesignTO festival. Drive by the window installation at 1 Spadina Cres. to see it in person!