Hi <<First Name>>
The welcome improvement in ice conditions means we can now squeeze a couple of events into our end-of-season calendar! We have changes to our Sunday set-up that affect us all, and we'd also like to know who you think has made a difference this year. Read on...
Last week's committee meeting recognised that the informal process of all early session teams helping out with all parts of our Sunday set-up wasn't really working. So we've come up with a cunning plan.
Two teams – those playing on Sheet B at 5:00pm – will be responsible for the early part of the set-up
from 4:15pm. This means assisting the Ice King operator with ice removal, installing the hacks and pebbling.
Once those are under way others from the duty teams can start to get the other gear out, until the rest of the early session players arrive to give them a hand. Then all
early session players will help get the stones out.
Thanks to Rock Slide and Happy Feet who did a great job to kick this off on Sunday!
Situation Vacant: Ice King Operator
With only two people in the club fully up to speed with using our Ice King, we're a bit exposed if both of those people are away.
So we could do with one or two more to be trained up. Please get in touch
if you're interested in helping to give our curlers the best ice we can.
Mixed Doubles and Under-21s
Paradice staff have been working hard to make all 5 sheets playable for us, and they've had some success. That means we can reschedule the two championships we canned a few weeks ago. Sorry for the short notice, but this was outside our control.
- The Auckland Under-21 Championship will run alongside our Sunday club competition, using spare sheets. Entries close at noon this Friday 11 September, so get clicking here now. First games will be this Sunday 13 September.
- The Auckland Mixed Doubles Championship will be held on Sunday 20 September, and can accommodate a maximum of 15 teams. Entry and more info here.
Both events will accept either team or individual entries.
Sunday Club Calendar
- Sep 13 – Club Round 11 and Under-21 games
- Sep 20 – Auckland Mixed Doubles, no club league
- Sep 27 – NZ Secondary School championship, no club league
- Oct 4 – Club Round 12 and U21 games
- Oct 11 – Club Semi-finals and U21; all teams will play
- Oct 18 – Club Finals and prizegiving; all teams will play
Club Annual Awards
Three of the awards we present after our finals on Sunday 17 October are decided by you! Please help us to recognise those who have made a difference this year.
We want to know who you feel has stood out in
- Development and promotion of curling
- Coaching for new curlers
- The Spirit of Curling and good sportsmanship
to have your say!
On the International Stage
Congratulations to Eleanor Adviento and Brett Sargon
on an impressive international Mixed Doubles debut at the Audi quattro Winter Games NZ 2015
last month. They finished 7th in a top quality field, and it wasn't until the last stone that they were beaten by eventual silver medallists USA in the round robin, and by gold medallists Canada 1 in a tiebreaker.
Dave Watt, Thivya Jeyaranjan, Kieran Ford and Waverley Taylor
had a warm-up bonspiel in Austria last weekend. They're ready to take on the world in the first World Mixed Curling Championship
in Berne, Switzerland from this Saturday.
Good Curling everybody!