Welcome to this month's edition of the newsletter which comes at such a poignant time following the death of Queen Elizabeth II.

You can read the newsletter by clicking here or on the image above. 

As ever, in the on-line version, a few extras below including an invitation to an outstanding evening's entertainment in Brundish church. An event of this standard is a real coup for such a small village; do support it by not only having a great evening out but also, by doing so, raising funds for maintaining the church as well as enriching our community.

As ever, any of your pictures, comments and articles are always very welcome.

Best wishes

Please note that we have recently changed our email address as below

To receive the newsletter register here.

I’ve got loads of problems with my house that I’ve been putting off fixing - a faulty boiler, a window that won’t shut properly, broken light fittings. The list goes on! I want to sort it out but I’ve had bad experiences with dodgy builders in the past. How do I find someone I can trust?
Making home improvements can be stressful, but there are a few steps you can follow to help it go smoothly.
First, find a Trading Standards ‘approved trader’. It’s also worth checking if they’re a current member of a trade body. Trade bodies have codes of practice and can help resolve problems if things go wrong. Ask who they’re registered with and then check the trade body’s website.
For any gas and electric fixes, only use certified traders - it’s dangerous to use someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing. You can check the Gas Safe Register at for a list of traders and use a registered electrician from who can certify their own work.
It’s always helpful to get references or recommendations where possible. Ask your friends, family or neighbours if they know of anyone they’d recommend. You can also ask the person you hire for examples of work they’ve carried out in the past. Try to avoid contractors who won’t give references - it’s a sign they could be dishonest.
When you find someone, ask for a written quote - this is different to an estimate. A quote is legally binding and the tradesperson can’t change it without a good reason - for example, if you ask for extra work to be done. It’s worth comparing quotes from several contractors to make sure you’re getting a fair price.
Next, get a written contract. This should cover exactly what you’re paying for and everything you’ve agreed on, including timings, payments, who will pay for materials and any subcontractors if needed. When it comes to payment, it’s best to opt to pay in stages rather than upfront. Try to pay by card if you can - this can give you extra safeguards if something goes wrong.
Finally, make sure your trader is fully insured. Keep copies of receipts and your written contract. These will be important as evidence if things go wrong. It’s also helpful to take photos of any problems if they arise.
If you have a problem with a contractor and you’re not sure what to do, call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 0808 223 1133.
Citizens Advice Mid Suffolk can provide advice on other issues, including debt, employment, benefits and family law.  You can contact them on 01449 676060 or use the contact form at  For more information and our opening hours go to
Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
non-profit · The Village Hall · The Thorofare · Brundish, Suffolk IP13 8BB · United Kingdom

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp