Practical Training Information:
Optional Practical Training (OPT) Update :
Please note: On October 2, 2020, the OPT filing fee will increase to $550 and there will be an updated Form I-765!! If able and eligible, the Kearney Center advises that you apply before this filing fee increase. HERE is more information regarding the October 2nd updates.
Did you miss the OPT Information Sessions, and you are graduating this December 2020? No worries—check out the Kearney Center website that talks more about what you should know before you apply, and the documents needed to apply for OPT.
If you are ready to file your OPT Packet to USCIS, but you need your OPT I-20. Please EMAIL your OPT documents in a Zip Folder to your immigration advisor. Your immigration advisor will need to review your OPT documents and provide any necessary feedback. If everything looks good to go, then you will receive your OPT I-20.
Kearney Center Open Sessions:
Join the Kearney Center on Wednesdays from 12 pm-1 pm for our Virtual Open Sessions. Kearney Center advisors will be ready to answer questions, as well as present on various topics. HERE is where you can join us! Below are the topics for the upcoming weeks:
- 09/30/2020: Academic success & 8-week short courses (THIS WEEK!)
- 10/07/2020: Academic advising and communicating with professors (NEXT WEEK!)
- 10/14/2020: University Advising - Spring 2021 registration
- 10/21/2020: Mental health & succeeding in an online class
- 10/28/2020: Immigration Updates
- 11/04/2020: Finances & Budgeting
- 11/11/2020: Social and Racial justice
- 11/18/2020: Planning for life after graduation
Immigration Updates: Reminders
- Remember to update your Local and Permanent address as necessary. Your Local and Permanent address in E-services should always reflect your current residence while on a student visa.
- Reduced Course Load (RCL): If you submitted a Reduced Course Load (RCL) form this semester for the reason that it is “Last semester to complete program of study” that means that you do NOT have any courses to take beyond December 11, 2020. If that is not that case and you have courses to complete in Spring 2021, then please contact your immigration advisor immediately! You may have to register for more courses this semester so you’re complying with your F-1 status. If you need to complete an RCL Form, please make sure one gets submitted before the start of the Fall 2020 semester.
- Need a Currently Enrolled Letter?: You can request a currently enrolled letter online. Once you submit the form, you will receive a letter within 3-5 business days.
Immigration Updates: Advising
- Immigration Advisor: Do you know who your immigration advisor is? If you do not, you can search on MavConnect under “My Success Network.” Please make sure you meet with your immigration advisor if you have any immigration-related questions.
- This LINK will provide you with more information about how to set-up a MavConnect appointment with your immigration advisor.
- Please note: Immigration Advisors have emailed their advisees at the beginning of September.
International Maverick Scholarship
The CCS just changed its name to International Maverick Scholarship and has a new email (email@example.com).