Team and Leadership Excellence Newsletter
Vol.23 January 2014
Welcome to the twenty-first monthly newsletter.
Almost 300 professionals from Sri Lanka and a few other countries near and far had the privilege of experiencing Omar Khan in his two inspiring, path breaking presentations; ‘Top Performance through Top Teams’ and ‘Heart & Soul of Real Communications’.
The underling themes of the first session were;
- Great Teams build Great Organisations and Great Organisations build Great Teams!
- Top performance happens when top teams are set up, developed, nurtured and rewarded appropriately. Most companies miss this important point.
- Inappropriate strategy deployed by the organisations to measure/improve business performance is one of the key reasons that teams remain average teams delivering average performance.
- The appropriate strategies for organisations to measure/improve business performance are to focus on teams rather than individuals.
- For top performance, every team must have ‘Burning platforms’, ‘visionaries and architects’ to draw the blue print of what needs to be achieved, Enrol people and build authentic relationships among the team members within and across teams
- Two destructive attitudes; ‘Minimizing’ [cover up and go under ground, say yes and do no etc.] and ‘Flame throwing’ [Speak non- factually, Dismiss/discount others’ views, Campaign for support from others etc. needs to be identified and eliminated to create top performing teams.
The underline themes of the second session were;
- Great Communications Synchronises ‘Intent’ and ‘Impact’ and this requires ‘Heart & Soul’
- If there is mismatch between the intent of your communication with the impact of your communication then there is sure to be conflict.
- Achieving balance requires us to be students of impact of our own communication on other people and our intent of that communication. We need to use our heart to listen to the emotional impact created on the other person.
- We need to see it from our soul, which is to know the positive energy it creates in the other person. Understanding of spiritual intelligence is key here.
- We need to focus on non-violent communications to bring out its soul.
- Most people think they are good communicators without realizing how hard and intellectually demanding communication is.
Read my blog post on these topics for more details and tools in taking these powerful concepts into your organizations.
My Journey in January 2014
After 5 years of playing three CEO roles one for my own organization Sensei International and the other for two of our clients, Agora Supermarkets and Apollo Hospitals, I have transcended during this month to fully focus on my passion of helping organisations and individuals to realize their potential by creating winning teams consistent of powerful leaders and passionate talent. ;
The 2 CEO roles for my clients were rich in diversity and experience. One in retail and other in health care, one in a turnaround role, the other in turbulent environment, one with a strong growth focus and the other with a strong maintenance focus and both involving creating winning corporate cultures.
The first week involved in my ensuring a solid handover to my successor at Apollo Hospital Dhaka and to prepare the team to support the new CEO in maintaining the winning culture created. Therafter I had assignments with BRAC Bank and Haque Industries Bangladesh and Hirdaramani and Pearson’s in Sri Lanka.
A highlight of the month is the two powerful events by Omar Khan on the 21st of January referred by me above.
3 blog posts were published during this month taking the total to 51. The new blog post along with a short excerpt is listed below for your information.
Galvanizing Your Team for a Great 2014
“New years every year brings so fresh hope to teams and leaders. This is the time we think of making the New Year the most spectacular year of all. While we start of with this intention we find it fizzles off really fast... The reason for this is because a bigger mission or purpose does not support such efforts.”
Read the full post at: http://ranjandesilva.wordpress.com/2014/01/01/galvanizing-you-team-for-a-great-2014/
Great Teams Build Great Organisations and Great Organisations Build Great Teams!
“Top Performance requires us to ensure that top teams are set up, developed, nurtured and rewarded appropriately. Most companies miss this important point. Here is a summary of the insights from the ‘Top Performance through Top Teams’ session by Omar Khan held on the 21st of January 2014.”
Read the full post at: http://ranjandesilva.wordpress.com/2014/01/31/great-teams-build-great-organisations-and-great-organisations-build-great-teams/
Great Communications Syncronises ‘Intent’ and ‘Impact’ and this Requires ‘Heart & Soul’
“Compare the intent of your communication with the impact of your communication. If there is mismatch then surely there is conflict. Great communicators know how to synchronize the two and this requires us putting our heart and soul into communications. This is the powerful message delivered by Omar Khan at his learning event : ‘Heart & Soul of Real Communications’ on the 21st of January 2014.”
Read the full post at: http://ranjandesilva.wordpress.com/2014/01/31/great-communications-syncronises-intent-and-impact-and-this-requires-heart-soul/
- A new album was added from this event ‘Human Performance Software’ by Omar Khan.
Photos of various other events conducted by Ranjan and Sensei can be viewed at: http://www.ranjandesilva.net/#!gallery/cirw
14 articles have been published since the launch of this website . They are in the areas of leadership, teams, personal excellence, marketing and world affairs with relevance. Please click below to read them; http://www.ranjandesilva.net/#!articles/cp7n
13 tweets were sent out during the month, some of which are listed below:
- Great Communications Syncronises ‘Intent’ and ‘Impact’ and this requires ‘Heart & Soul’ http://wp.me/p27f2w-DMS
- Great Teams build Great Organisations and Great Organisations build Great Teams! http://wp.me/p27f2w-DMj
- Thank you to the 300 delegates attending the most inspiration event of the year. Omar is on stage inspiring top business teams in Sri Lanka…
- 3 more days to the inspirational, path creating, energizing learning experience that will give you the best start fo…http://lnkd.in/bpC-YNn
- 5 more days to the inspirational, path creating, energizing learning experience that will give you the best start fo…http://lnkd.in/bpC-YNn
- 10 days to the inspirational learning experience that will give you the best start for 2014. http://lnkd.in/bpC-YNn
- 10 days to the inspirational learning experience that will give you the best start for 2014. http://www.ranjandesilva.net/#!human-performance-software-by-omar-khan/c1b6s … pic.twitter.com/C9aolaP1fA
- Watch this 45 second commercial to experience whats in store on the 21st morning. More details in http://lnkd.in/bpC-YNn
- Now that the celebrations are completed, hang-overs out of the way, cleaning done, it is time to reflect on some imp…http://lnkd.in/bzrkabq
- I recommend you watch this video and give yourself the right start to a great year. http://lnkd.in/bTg4PwA