Have you been taking care of yourself?
Self care is a way that you can use whatever time, resources and energy you have to do something (even a very tiny thing) that can "help you fill up your cup". Some people think self care is all about massages and bubble baths - and it can be- but it can also be:
- putting the washing away so you don't look at it first thing in the morning and feel deflated
- saying no to going out when you just need a little time by yourself
- finally making a dentist appointment for that sore tooth that has been worrying you for the last 2 weeks and has been taking up all your energy
- taking an extra 5 minutes in the bathroom just to enjoy some peace and quiet
- having a friend you can call who will tell you a 20 second joke to make you laugh and shift your mood
- asking for help with things
Also remember: one person's self care is another persons idea of torture. For some folks, a run around the block feel amazing, for others its a cuppa and good book. So get ideas from other people about what they do for self care, but know that you will need to find the right things for you and your life.
Make sure you take time to plan for self care. Write don some daily, once a week and once a month self care activities you want to try and build into your life and put it somewhere visible. You might be amazed at how much self care can help.
CAWA offers self care and burnout prevention training for all kinds of workplaces. If this is something you think will help your team- get in touch!