A lot of customers asked us to integrate Streamer™ directly into Zoom meetings and webinars, so, we did that. Thanks for the suggestion. We call this feature Streamer-Zoom™,
and it ties directly into Zoom’s closed captioning menu. It’s easy to use, no downloads or installs are required, and unlike Zoom's built-in captioning, with Streamer everything you say is private and secure. Now you can have instant private and secure captioning for your Zoom meetings anytime, as often as you want, in whatever language you want,
How it Works:
Open your Zoom account and in the settings turn on the closed captioning option, you just need to do this once. From then on to caption and/or translate your Zoom meetings and webinars you just:
- Start your Zoom meeting or webinar.
- Click the Zoom closed captioning icon to copy the API Token.
- Open Streamer™, click on the Streamer Settings menu, select the Streamer-Zoom™ option, paste the Token into the page and if you want, select the language for your subtitles.
Sofia Ramirez, a teacher that is using Streamer, made
a short video on using Streamer-Zoom
and for more detailed information, here's a video we put together.
When you open the Streamer-Zoom™ menu, you will see the following options for customizing your captioning.
Important User Tips:
- API URL: As per the above videos, copy the Token API from Zoom and paste it here.
- BUFFER SIZE: A larger buffer adds a slight delay to the captioning, but allows full contextual-based transcription and translation making it more accurate and easier for guests to read. Most people use the long buffer. The Auto option dynamically adjusts your buffer size depending on the cadence and style of your speech.
- DISPLAY: If you and your guests are only using Windows computers, then select the Windows option. This provides instant captioning - each word is displayed as it is spoken. If computers other than Windows are being used, then select the All Operating Systems option. In this option full sentences are displayed a sentence at a time.
- TRANSLATE SUBTITLES: By default, Streamer provides captions in whatever language is being spoken. You can also choose to translate the captions into a desired language. In this mode, it does not matter which language(s) are being actually spoken. The language you select is the language in which all subtitles will be displayed. Note that everyone viewing the captioning will do so in this language. To give each of your guests the ability to choose their own language for the subtitles, create separate Streamer™ accounts that they will use. Here's how you do that.
- Just before you paste the API Token into Streamer™, remember to clear the existing transcript by entering /clear into the command bar.
- Remember to turn on, or off, your Streamer™ microphone.
- For better captioning and faster translations, add a short pause at the end of each sentence (take a short breath). This is especially true if you set the Buffer Size to Auto.
- Press to Talk: Pressing the spacebar on your keyboard temporarily turns on your microphone for both Streamer and Zoom. Release the spacebar and it is turned off again.