Welcome to Streamer™
Streamer™ is a private and secure website you'll use to provide captioning and translations for conversations, meetings, presentations, webinars, plus a lot more. These can be conversations happening in your workplace, with someone in remote location such as another office, or a combination of both situations. No matter what the situation is, you will always use Streamer pretty much the same way. Here's a short overview video on how it works
(for captions, click the “CC” icon and if they’re going too fast, slow the playback speed to 75%).
The Lobby of your website shows the rooms that you have requested. Think of each Streamer room as being a meeting or conference room, with the exception that there are no limits to the number of people that can join in on the conversation. You may have just one person joining you for a private conversation, or a handful of participants in a team meeting, an entire department, or every employee in the entire firm. They can all join you in your room(s). Each room supports a single conversation with as many participants as desired. If you have several conversations happening at the same time, such as multiple meetings each with a different group of employees, then you will need multiple Streamer rooms to support those conversations.
The way others join you in your room is with a User Account. To ensure privacy, all accounts need to have a password. This may be a private account created specifically for a person (such as a co-worker), or a shared account multiple people will use (such as customers attending a Zoom sales presentation you are giving). User accounts are completely free, they’re easy to create, and you can have as many as you want. We’ll show you how to do that in a moment. A key point is you do not need a seperate Streamer subscription for each employee. It's fine for all your employees to share just a few Streamer rooms.
This makes Streamer a very affordable captioning, translating and note-taking system for your business or agency
And one more note. Because Streamer is a website, it works with almost any device that can connect to the Internet including iPads, iPhones, Android phones, Chromebooks, laptops, desktops and tablets; and your account works the same on any platform – same login, same interface. So it’s fine to use Streamer on a desktop computer, then move to a tablet, or a phone. With Streamer, it’s always the same website and user account..
Let’s Get Started
Create your First Streamer User Account
- Step 1: Download the Streamer™ Quick Start Guide by clicking here.
- Step 2: Sign into Streamer™ by opening a Chrome browser window, going to www.streamer.center and entering your account information. This places you in the Lobby, which contains all your Streamer™ rooms. Each additional subscription that you order adds another room to your Lobby
- Step 3: Step into Your Captioning and/or Translation Room by clicking on the Room name.
- Step 4: Start Captioning your Speech by clicking on the microphone icon in the lower left corner. If Streamer asks for permission to access your microphone, say yes.
User Accounts are way you share your room(s) with others. They are free and easy to create. You will most likely want to create personal accounts for co-workers in your team or department, and perhaps shared accounts others will use to view (and hear) the captioning in their desired language, maybe one for a customer that is hard of hearing or that does not speak English.
Here’s a Video
- Personal Accounts: This is an account made for a specific person, such as a co-worker.
- Shared Accounts: This is an account multiple people can use to view the captioning or translation. For example, everyone attending a product demonstration (both in person and remotely) can log into the same shared account to view a live captioning.
that goes into more detail on sharing creating user accounts, or read the steps below. As always, if you have any questions, just let us know and we will be glad to help.
Step 1: Create the Guest Account
Step 2: Give the Account Permission to Use Your Room
- Open a Chrome browser window, go to www.streamer.center and click the Login button. If you see the login form shown below, then skip to Step 3.
- If the above step automatically logs you into your Lobby, then exit Streamer by clicking the Sign Out arrow (located in the upper right corner of the screen), and then click on the Login button.
- To create the new account, click the Create One link. Account names cannot have any spaces, a common format to use is firstname.lastname or businessname-Guest. The Email Address is only used if the person forgets their password and it needs to be reset, and the Preferred Voice is used for speech generation (e.g., for spoken translation of conversation or a non-verbal person who is using Streamer to speak for them).
If you are currently logged into Streamer using the account you just created, logout (click on the sign-out arrow located in the upper right-hand corner of the interface), and re-login using your Admin
account. Then from the Lobby
click on your Room
to enter it and type the following commands where user
is the name of the new account. Note that each command starts with a forward slash, like this /
, and each user account starts with an ampersand, like this @
. These special characters let Streamer™ know you're entering a command or user account instead of plain text.
- /allow @user This gives the account permission to see and enter your room.
- /makesuper @user This optional command gives the account extra features they can use, such as changing their password. You will use this for most personal accounts.
- /makenormal @user This is the opposite of the /makesuper command. Use the /makenormal command to limit users to only being able to view the captioning – it removes the microphone and text entry box. You’ll use this for most shared accounts.
- /setdownload @user yes This optional command lets the user download a copy of the transcript.
- /setclear @user yes This optional command lets the person clear the transcript.
- /addowner @user This optional command gives the person permission to invite others into the room and to set room permissions. This is typically done for most personal accounts, but it's completely optional.
All of the commands can be viewed by clicking on the help menu, which is the ?
near the upper right corner of the Streamer™ interface.
Additional Tips and Help
Here are some additional tips we recommend you share with others:
- Create Command Shortcuts: You can easily create shortcuts for commands you commonly use, such as /allow and /clear. Here’s a video showing how to do this.
- For Technical Help the best way to reach us is by typing @Streamer-Admin message into the text bar at the bottom of the Streamer™ display, where message is the question. This may be a command you want to enter into your shortcuts. Look for the answer in your Notifications page (see Item "B" in the Quick Start Guide).
- Create a Desktop Shortcut: Just click on the icon and you’ll be placed directly in your room, no need to open a browser and login. To do this, go to the Chrome Settings Menu, select the More Tools option and then Create Shortcut. Here’s a video showing the steps.
- You can change the font size by clicking on the Chrome Settings Menu (the three dots in the upper right-hand corner) and zooming in on the webpage.
- Download Transcripts by clicking on the Streamer Settings menu (see Item "G" in the Quick Start Guide).
- Have Streamer™ ask where to save transcripts. By default, transcripts are saved to the user's Downloads folder. To change this, on the person's computer open the Chrome Settings menu, click on Settings, then Advanced (it’s at the very bottom of the screen) and in the Downloads section select Ask where to save each file before downloading. Now each time they save a transcript Streamer™ asks which folder to use.
- To Clear the Transcript, simply type /clear into the text bar. There is no undo command, and we never store any backups of any of your data. Your data is yours alone, we do not make any copies or save any records. When you clear a transcript, it's gone forever.
- Show/hide the right side panel by clicking on the Streamer Settings menu(see Item "G" in the Quick Start Guide).
For more information, click on the ?
in the upper right corner of the Streamer™ interface to see the complete set of commands that you can use. Also, several short tutorial videos on using Streamer™ can be viewed by clicking here.
For Additional Information
If you have any questions contact us by typing @Streamer-Admin
in the Streamer™ text box followed by your question (this is the way to get the quickest response), by sending an email to email@example.com
or by calling +1-507-645-8924