Happy Fall from Foster Kinship!
We are approaching such a busy and special time of year, and Foster Kinship wants to help you make it magical for the kids in your home. We have a few fun events just for kinship families. Act fast though, as space is limited and sign up is first come, first serve!
Thanksgiving Meal Support
This will be the 5th year that we are giving away a Thanksgiving box of food and $10 gift card for a turkey for kinship families! Please call 702-546-9988 to sign up. This is limited to the first 100 families and then as supplies last. Pick up will be Monday, November 21st from our office.
Holiday Gift Wish List
Complete this form for each child and we will do our best to help you play Santa for your little ones this year! This is limited to the first 200 children and the children must be in kinship care. This is a request only, gift confirmation and pick up will be sent to confirmed families and will be the week prior to Christmas from our office.
Kinship support groups are back! We meet the second Tuesday of each month at 4344 W Cheyenne Ave, N Las Vegas, 89032. Dinner and limited childcare are provided. The meetings begin at 6 PM. You can register for them here.
New Training Available- Enough Abuse
Foster Kinship has taken the pledge to join the Enough Abuse Campaign to prevent child sexual abuse in Clark County, NV.
We now offer two workshops to relative/fictive kin caregivers and foster parents to increase their capacity to prevent and respond to child sexual abuse. This training can count towards your relicensing hours.
“Understanding & Responding to the Sexual Behaviors of Children” (URSBC) is a 3- hour interactive workshop designed for caregivers and others who have contact with children and/or their families.
Attendees will increase their knowledge & skills to:
• Identify “developmentally expected” sexual behaviors of children and youth;
• Distinguish developmentally expected behaviors from those that might be inappropriate, coercive, abusive or illegal;
• Respond to all sexual behaviors in ways that promote the healthy development of children and that supports bystanders who may be affected.
“It’s Not Just Jenna: A True Story of Child Sexual Abuse and Survival” is a 2-hour workshop that teaches us about child sexual abuse and how to prevent it.
The learning goals of this video and discussion are to educate participants about:
• Behavior signs to be aware of in adults that might indicate they pose a risk to children and teens;
• Ways sexual abusers “groom” or establish trust with potential victims and their families;
• Behavior signs to look for in children or teens that may indicate they are being or have been sexually abused;
• Reasons that make it difficult for victims or child sexual abuse to tell;
• How to respond if we see behavior signs in an adult that indicate they might pose a risk to children and teens; and
• How to respond if we see behavior signs in a child or teen that raises concerns they may have been or are being sexually abused.
If interested, please sign up here.
Each workshop will be limited to the first 10 participants.
Kinship Resouce Locator Tool
This tool, provided free of charge, will help you identify targeted resources for kinship caregivers based on their age, their caregiving status, the age and needs of the children, and their location. Try it out here.
Kinship Care Road Map
The Kinship Care Road map is designed to give new kinship caregivers with Clark County, NV Department of Family Services a clear and simple overview of the decisions they have control over and provides basic information on financial and legal differences so they can make the best choice for their family at the right time. It also outlines the rights and responsibilities of working with the child welfare system and the court timelines. You can download a free copy here.
Meet a Family Advocate
Nani Garrett holds a Bachelors of Science degree in Human Services- with a concentration is management from the University of Phoenix. She will be pursuing her Master’s degree in the Spring of 2016 to be a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. She has done her internship with the Department of Family Services and the Parenting Project. She is passionate about helping children and families in the community to connect with the necessary resources that will better their situation. Nani can be reached at Nani@fosterkinship.org.
Nani Garrett, Family Advocate
Support Foster Kinship
We have Thanksgiving on Nov 24th, BlackFriday on Nov 25th, and CyberMonday on Nov 28th. Join Foster Kinship on Nov 29th for GivingTuesday! On this day, find ways to give - whether it’s some of your time, a donation, gift or the power of your voice to improve the lives of kinship families in Clark County, NV.
Here are six easy ways to give back!
1. Donate $10 at http://www.fosterkinship.org/give/ on November 29th
2. Volunteer at http://www.fosterkinship.org/aboutkinship/joinus/
3. Sign up with Amazon Smile to have a portion of your regular online purchases donated to Foster Kinship.
4. Invite your friends to like our Facebook page!
5. Share your story with us about your experience as a kinship caregiver! We'd love to hear how Foster Kinship has been a part of your journey! Email Madison@fosterkinship.org if you would like to participate.
For more information and to stay up to date on the latest happenings, visit our website, follow us on Twitter or Like us on Facebook. But if you only do one thing, join our closed Facebook group just for Nevada Kinship Caregivers. Our group members are always the first to know about family events and other fun supportive resources we are able to make available to kinship caregivers.
If you need personal assistance with anything related to the care of your relative's child please reach out to us during our Kinship Helpline- Monday-Friday from 10-4 by calling (702) 546-9988.
Keep in touch! Wishing you and your family a very happy fall!
Alison Caliendo, M.A.
Founder & Director, Foster Kinship
(702) KIN-9988 | firstname.lastname@example.org | www.fosterkinship.org
4344 W Cheyenne, N Las Vegas, NV 89032
Facebook | Twitter | Meetup