Summer is upon us. With it comes the conclusion of an amazing year. It has been full of the whole spectrum of emotions. Many of us have been through major high points and substantial lows. No matter what we have experienced, we can take both the good and the bad and grow from it. It is my hope that this summer will be a time of reflection and rejuvenation for all of us. Enjoy the days!
I also want to take this opportunity to thank two people who have been incredibly influential in the development of PSA. Keith McElveen and William Quantz will be rotating off of the PSA board this summer. William has served as our treasurer for over two years and has guided us financially in meaningful ways. His experience and insight on the budget and all monetary operations has served us well. Keith McElveen has been our board chairperson this past year. Just as significant, he is one of the original charter committee members. His investment in PSA cannot be overstated. His DNA is in the very fabric of our school.
I personally owe a huge debt of gratitude for all they have done for PSA and I am sure I speak for the whole community that their work is much appreciated.
Board Member Elections: If you are eligible to vote in the PSA Board elections, be on the lookout for an email that will be the link to this year’s board member elections. The email will be sent out via the PowerSchool SwiftReach system. Eligible voters include one per family for each PSA student and one per faculty/staff member. Please plan to vote for TWO candidates to fill the vacant positions. The nominating committee recommended to the board that the election been held in May this year to help bring the new members on board before the start of the next school year. While this is a departure from the present wording on the webpage, it does not conflict with the state charter law or our bylaws. This change is a logical step to help create a more timely onboarding of the new members. This will enable them to be a part of this summer’s strategic planning sessions as well as hit the ground running with the new school year.
Field Trips and Travel News
You will be asked to vote for two members out of the following four candidates:
• PSA Parent with two students enrolled at our school
• Employed by SC FIRST as the South Carolina Senior Mentor for the FIRST Robotics Program
• Graduate and undergraduate degrees in Biology, Organizational Management, and Human Resources Management
• Lieutenant Colonel in the Army National Guard Signal Corps and Program Manager for the Federal Aviation Administration
• Aeronautical Advisor to the Trident Technical Industry Advisory Board and participant in the STEM AVSED Outreach Program for inspiring aviation professional careers
• Degree in Professional Aeronautics, FAA Airframe & Powerplant license and IA certification, and recipient of the Bronze Star Medal in Operation Iraqi Freedom
• PSA Parent and current member of PSA Board of Directors
• Background in transportation industry with experience in operations, safety, personnel management and finance
• Member of Board of Trustees for Charles Towne Montessori school with experience with building expansion at that organization
• Parent of current PSA student
• Community Coordinator with NASA/SSAI in STEM Education
• Member of Lowcountry STEM Collaborative, ECPI Advisory Board, and other science education organizations
The email to vote will be sent out tomorrow morning. Please vote by 5pm this Friday, May 31.
2019 Cross Country Runners: Anyone interested in joining cross country in the fall please get me your contact information. Starting in July I will be holding one weekly run at a different spot. These practices are not mandatory but are strongly encouraged as a fun way to build your running base. I’m looking forward to meeting with you over the summer!
Costa Rica Trip 2020: Informational Meeting will be held on Wednesday, May 29th in Ms Truesdale's Room at 4 pm. Attend the meeting, sign up for the trip, and receive $100 off!
Spring 2021 Travel Abroad Trip: If you are interested in traveling to Spain and Morocco in the spring of 2021 with Mrs. Hudgens, you can check out the itinerary at www.explorica.com.hudgens-5107