January Student Spotlight
Marcia Colburn, Caterpillar Financial Student
â€œÂ¡Marcia siempre tiene una buena actitud y se divierte mucho! Ella es una gran lÃder para los otros estudiantes.. en la clase y fuera de la clase.â€
~ Lindsay Richardson, profesora de Marcia
1) Â¿CÃ³mo te llamas? Me llamo Marcia Colburn.
2) Â¿DÃ³nde vives? Yo vivo en Nashville en la zona de Sylvan Park.
3) Â¿DÃ³nde trabajas? Yo trabajo en Caterpillar Financial. Yo soy gerente de marketing.
4) How long have you been studying Spanish with SLWED and who is your teacher? I have been studying Spanish with SLWED for almost one year. I started in January, 2015. Lindsay Richardson is my teacher and has been for three sessions.
5) Where would you like to use your Spanish? I would like to use my Spanish during work to converse with our Latin America employees as well as dealers and customers. I have responsibility for our incentive programs and have the opportunity to travel in Mexico or other Spanish speaking countries. I use my Spanish skills on these trips as well.
6) What advice or words of encouragement would you give to someone who is just starting to learn Spanish? My best advice would be to take the time to practice, do homework and speak Spanish outside the one-hour class each week. You wonâ€™t learn it as well or as quickly if you only rely on the one hour class time. I have found that going to Spanish speaking restaurants and conversing with the staff is a great practice.
7) What is your favorite Spanish singer or band or favorite Spanish song? My favorite Spanish singer is Ricky Martin, although he hasnâ€™t had many songs out recently.
8) What countries have you traveled to or would you like to visit? I have traveled to Mexico, Panama and Costa Rica several times each and used my Spanish skills when I can. I would love to visit other countries in South America including Chile and Peru.
9) How have you used your Spanish? Any interesting stories how it came in handy? I have used my Spanish when visiting Puerto Vallarta, Mexico recently. It came in handy when I needed to ask questions of the hotel staff that didnâ€™t speak English very well. Iâ€™ve also used it with friends at who speak Spanish as a way to practice and learn more quickly.
10) What is your favorite thing about learning Spanish with SLWED? I love the style the SLWED uses to learn another language. Iâ€™ve tried other methods and this works well for me. I like that we learn with work colleagues so that we can practice with other employees during the day.
11) Other Comments? I hope to become fluent in Spanish as this is a personal and professional goal for myself. SLWED will help me achieve this important goal!