Stacy Ries Snyder
"Stacy is an intense learner! She wants to do everything with excellence and is not satisfied with anything less than 120%. Having a French background, she understands language well and is a fast learner. Stacy is really flourishing in the program!"
--Melanie Gordon profesora de Stacy
1) ¿Cómo te llamas? Me llamo Stacy Ries Snyder.
2) ¿Dónde vives? Vivo en Nashville, Tennessee.
3) ¿Dónde trabajas? Soy una candidata para el Congreso aquí en el distrito cinco.
4) How long have you been studying Spanish with SLWED and who is your teacher? I have been studying Spanish with Melanie and SLWED since the beginning of Summer.
5) Where would you like to use your Spanish? I would like to use my Spanish to better communicate with my constituents should I be elected on November 8th. If not elected, I will use it in my travels.
6) What advice or words of encouragement would you give to someone who is just starting to learn Spanish? I would suggest to learn slowly but steadily – and do not come down too hard on yourself as you learn. Before too long, you will look back and realize how much you have learned – you will be surprised.
7) What is your favorite Spanish singer or band or favorite Spanish song? Favorite Spanish singer is Gloria Estefan with her Cuban influences. Favorite Spanish song would be Ayer or Volverás.
8) What countries have you traveled to or would you like to visit? I have traveled to France, it was my degree in College (Belmont – graduated 1993). There are many countries in Central and South America I would love to visit.
9) How have you used your Spanish? Any interesting stories how it came in handy? Yes, I try to communicate with voters as many times as I can. I have friends at church that are from Mexico, I realized how much easier and how much more confidently I was able to converse with them just a week or so ago.
10) What is your favorite thing about learning Spanish with SLWED? The lessons are small and easy to handle which is great for such a busy schedule as I have. I also enjoy meeting close to my office. My professor is very easy to work with. Melanie is never judgmental and always very helpful. That makes my experience much more relaxing.
11) Are there any apps, podcasts, websites or resources that you would recommend to other students? I love to watch movies that I am familiar with translated into Spanish or Spanish movies with subtitles on. Which means I am reading the Spanish at the same time I am hearing it. I learn the most interesting idioms and I find that really fascinating. Also, I am able to hear the accent in a way that is entertaining.
Spanish Tip of the Month
Click on the links to be taken to several episodes for the show Extr@
and also one or two other Spanish TV shows
that were created for Spanish language-learners. It is educational and pretty entertaining. Let us know how you like them!