April Student Spotlight
â€œMary es una estudiante estupenda. Ella siempre estÃ¡ bien preparada y estÃ¡ muy dedicada. Â¡Las lecciones con Mary son muy divertidas porque ella siempre nos hace reÃr tanto!â€
--Caroline Bumpus, profesora de Mary
1. Â¿CÃ³mo te llamas? Me llamo Mary Schrecker
2. Â¿DÃ³nde vives? Vivo en el este de Nashville.
3. Â¿DÃ³nde trabajas? Trabajo en Louisiana Pacific. Soy auditoria/contadora.
4. How long have you been studying Spanish with SLWED and who is your teacher? I started in Level 1 in April 2015 with Caroline, and she has been my teacher ever since.
5. Where would you like to use your Spanish?
Anywhere I can! I have some opportunities to use it at work, but also hope to find ways outside work to use it on a regular basis.
6. What advice or words of encouragement would you give to someone who is just starting to learn Spanish?
Study as consistently as you can. Even a few minutes here and there can be really effective. I often do flashcards on my phone when I am waiting on someone or something. When I miss a few days, it is really hard to catch back up, so I find little study spurts to be helpful at keeping me on track.
7. What is your favorite Spanish singer or band or favorite Spanish song?
I love ManÃ¡ and CafÃ© Tecuba. And while I do not like any of his other songs, I love â€œMi Lugar es Contigoâ€ by Karlos RosÃ© (itâ€™s really cheesy!).
8. What countries have you traveled to or would you like to visit?
I used to travel internationally for work and have visited over 20 countries, including some amazing Spanish-speaking countries: Chile, Mexico, Spain. I would like to visit more in South and Central America, especially Nicaragua and Columbia.
9) How have you used your Spanish? Any interesting stories how it came in handy?
I was in an airport in Brazil last summer and was trying to get some information about my flight. I found an airline rep who spoke Portuguese, a little Spanish, and no English. It was painful, but I managed to choke out enough Spanish to get the information I needed. It was so fun and very satisfying (and I did not end up on the wrong flight!).
10) What is your favorite thing about learning Spanish with SLWED?
At the risk of sounding like a brown-noser, it is absolutely my teacher Caroline. She is very encouraging, and makes every class fun, no matter how difficult the material is. I also enjoy the other students and have made some great friends. I also love all the ideas that we get in our recap emails about other ways to study and get exposure (videos, websites, etc.).