Online Conference - Medieval Ethiopia, new Conversation on Ancient Spaces
The conference presentations will last about 30 minutes each, with some time allowed for questions.
The programme starts at 13:00 GMT each day (9:00 New York time) and runs until 20:00 GMT.
The conference is free, with no need to register.
Meeting ID: 274 140 7217
Planned Schedule - Unfortunately at least two versions of the schedule are available. The version listed here has 23 lectures, but there is another that lists only 19 lectures. The basic schedule is the same, just an extra 4 extra lectures have been squeezed in:
Tuesday 2 November:
Brief Introduction by the Organizing Team.
1. Rabbi Jack Zimmerman - Saving Hearts and Lives among Ethiopia's Jews: The Ministry of Jewish Voice.
2. Denise E. Allen - Ministry of Zion's engagement in promoting Ethiopia.
3. Jeff Shaw - The Ethio-Adal War.
4. Seifegabriel Shiferraw - Lalibela from the air. Drone overflights.
5.Tsegaye Ebabey - Newly recovered splendid Rock Hewn Churches, Checheho Escarpment, Amhara, Ethiopia.
6. Denis Nosnitsin - Ethiopian scribes at work: Some observations on writing.
7. Da'mon Stith - Ethiopian ancient weapons, martial reconstructions.
Wednesday 3 November:
8. Alula Pankhurst - Restitution, activities of the National Committee, Ethiopia.
9. Kirubel Girma - Finding sites in central Shoa: Identification and First Visits.
10. Meftuh Shash - History of Eastern Ethiopia, Harar, Hararge, new finds.
11. Laura Bisaillon - Scholarly Socialisms, Mobilities and Memory: RedED Ethiopia-Romania Project.
12. Alebachew Belay - Medieval Archaeology in the Central Highlands of Ethiopia: State of the Art
13. Ts'gye Rachel Tilayo Leslie - The Necessity for Inter-systemic Dialogue and Historiographical Critique of the Study of Africa: Medieval and Ancient Ethiopia.
14. Matt Andrea - A glimpse at modern Ethiopian painting.
15. Habtamu Tegegne - Medieval Barara and its modern legacy.
Thursday 4 November:
16. Dorothea McEwan - The Paintings in the Church of Birbir Giyorgis.
17. Tania Tribe - Historical archaeology in Lasta and surroundings: seeking the Zagwe to Solomonic transition.
18. Eyob Derillo - Medieval Ethiopian Manuscript collections in the British Library.
19. Dr. Deresse Ayenachew - Tracing archaeological ruins for the rebuilding of the Christians kingdoms of Ethiopia(13th-19th C.).
20. Mario Lozano Alonso - “Recent Studies in Ethiopian Art and Architecture...”, a conference in Universidad Complutense, Madrid, online.
21. Tekle Belachew - The Ethiopian Orthodox Church is A Church With Memory: From Queen Of Sheba To King Lalibela And Beyond.
22. Dagmawi Yimer - Ethiopia in the news, conflict, a tarnished image?
23. Harry Bourne - Some Unexpected Aspects of Africans at Sea in Antiquity.
Conclusions by the moderators' team and the Conference Organizers.
These links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the Anglo-Ethiopian Society of the events. The Anglo-Ethiopian Society bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links.