It's April 15th!
Do you know where your children are?
Wow! Who remembers those creepy PSAs from back in the 70s: "It's 10 p.m., do you know where your children are?"
If the message wasn't scary enough, the accompanying music would send shivers all over! Not sure why this came to mind when I wrote, "It's April 15th," but there you have it. My brain hasn't allowed me to rest in a very long time.
I spent this morning at a service station--you know, the kind where when you say, "Just an oil change," you drive away 3 hours later with the differential fluid changed, the tires rotated, and a new air filter? Yeah. That was my morning. And now I need to find an available plumber. Pretty sure that issue is totally unrelated to the vehicle.
At least my brain is keeping me awake with exciting ideas, though. I'm getting ready to start several new projects in addition to the novel I started a while back: coloring books for my Waterwight
series, children's books about my ducks, and eventually I'll work on a graphic novel or two! And now that spring is in the air (with little whiffs of warmth between the snowflakes), I'll be working with Mike on the duck pond and garden projects.
Oh, and I have a couple of new playlists on my YouTube channel: Laurel Stuff
(where you can see videos of things that make me think, like the elk crossing that made me stop last evening) and Construction Projects
(where you can watch Mike evolve in his woodworking prowess)! If you haven't yet subscribed to my channel, please do! It's free, and you don't even have to watch my videos (but why wouldn't you?)! I'm getting a little
better at video editing, but still have lots to learn. In any case, my channel is quite eclectic. That's just who I am.
And at this point in my life, although I rarely know where my children are, I always know where my ducks are. Just don't ask me where I left my reading specs!
Upcoming (and maybe some past) Events!
- This upcoming Monday, April 19, 9-10:30 a.m.: Buena Vista Public Library conducts FREE monthly enrichment program for adults (and children!), and this Zoom session will focus on the art of letter writing! I will be your host for the workshop during which you will craft a handwritten letter to someone you love . . . a friend, a family member, a pet, your future self? You will decide! The library will have "Take & Make" kits available for this session soon, so check in with them (not necessary for workshop participation). There's a zoom link with meeting code on their website! Hope to "see you" there!
- April 26, 9-noon: CCWE's WE Write session on the topic of plot development and flaws. Author Linda Ditchkus will host this informative session. Put it on your calendar! Free and open to everyone! You don't need to be a CCWE member to participate, but you might want to be after your first experience! Contact Linda at LindaDitchkus@gmail.com to participate! Questions? Ask me! I'm the Membership Chairperson!
***Support your Local Public Libraries and Book Stores!***
AUTOGRAPHED BOOK MAKE GREAT GIFTS!
(contact me if you'd like a personalized autograph of any of my books)
(please send me literary news you'd like to share)
- Some of my friends' works have been selected as FINALISTS for Colorado Book Awards! If you haven't yet, check out Todd Fahnestock's Tower of the Four and Cary Unkelbach's Heartbreak Kennel! Congratulations to these wonderful writers! Please support them by buying their books and leaving positive reviews!
- I recently interviewed award-winning author and publisher Kelly Lynn Colby! And I loved her book "The Collector"! Check out our visit and this fun creator!
- And Kelly interviewed ME on her CursedDragonShip channe! She has a program called 20 Questions with Your Favorite Author, and she is a fun and generous host! Click the link to hear some of her questions, and if you have a book you'd like to share, give her a shout!
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS AND SUBSCRIPTIONS
FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION:
Check out each to see how they might help you advance your craft!
[photo credit by Elise Sunday; a fall day on the Arkansas River, Buena Vista, CO]
Have you checked out my podcast Alligator Preserves
lately? There are unique short stories and interviews and insights galore! I hope you'll subscribe!
Looking for hot Writing Tips? Check HERE
Please send me some of your own and I'll credit you in my list!
Please let me know if you're participating in any awesome writing contests and if you have any personal writing/publishing news you'd like to share! I do my best to publish this newsletter by the ides of every month, so keep that in mind when sending me your literary news!
Until next month...
Be kind to yourself. Wash your hands . . . lots. And please wear a mask around others.
(here's a link
to all of my books, available in paperback and Kindle and some on audiobook!)