Remembering Tim Jones - Memorial January 25
Tim Jones, the team leader of North Shore Rescue and the public face of the organization, passed away suddenly on Mount Seymour during a hike back down from the team’s cabin, late Sunday night on Jan 19.
Over the last week, a great outpouring of support has come from the local community. So many people have shared their stories of Tim’s kindness and selfless devotion to his community, as well as his advocacy for search and rescue.
A celebration of Tim's life and all his accomplishments is being held this Saturday, Jan 25, open to the public. The below details are from the North Shore Rescue website. (PDF version here).
Date: Saturday, January 25, 2014
Time: Parade at 10:30 AM, ceremony at 12 noon
2300 Lonsdale Avenue (MAP)
North Vancouver, BC
Please dress to be outdoors, the seating in the theatre is reserved. Members of the public will be located outside with some tents and large screen set up for viewing.
In honour of Tim’s service, a parade will take place prior to the ceremony. At 10:30am it will start at 15th St. and Forbes Ave. in North Vancouver (MAP), go along 15th to Lonsdale, turn North on Lonsdale and go up Lonsdale to 23rd where it will turn right and enter the Centennial Theatre parking lot.
Carpooling and public transit are highly encouraged as parking is very limited.
Donations in memory of, can be made to North Shore Search and Rescue online here.
(Mostly) Local Outdoors News
1. Grouse Grind record holder banned from cycling claims misunderstanding. @CTV News
2. 65-year-old Burnaby man dies of heart attack hiking BCMC Trail on Grouse Mountain. @Vancouver Sun
3. Two hikers caught going up Crown Pass without gear. @News 1130
4. COVER STORY: New details in the search for Tom Billings. @North Shore Outlook
5. North Shore mountain resorts welcome snow. @North Shore News
6. Should cameras be installed on popular hiking trails?. @CBC News
7. Vancouver cyclists say bike lanes make winter riding safer. @The Province
8. Vancouver cycling policies work, despite grumbling. @Beacon News
9. Map of Stolen and Recovered Bikes in Vancouver. @Vancouver is Awesome
10. Cypress Mountain and charging for rescue. @Oplopanax Horridus
11. Smart Phone and GPS Use in the Backcountry. @Oplopanax Horridus
12. B.C.'s backcountry skiers and snowmobilers warned of weekend avalanche risk. @Vancouver Sun
13. Mountain Biking the North Shore, BC – The Classics. @MTB4Her
14. Long Eared Owls and other Raptors at Boundary Bay in Delta. @Tyler Ingram
15. Couple running for a cause. @North Shore News
16. Vancouver on the Cheap: Lynn Canyon. @Vancouver is Awesome
17. Squamish named best place in Canada for cycling by Pedal Magazine. @Vancouver Sun