|In this newsletter:
- Best Fall Hikes around Vancouver
- Outdoor News
- Book of the Month
- Elk Falls
- Current Gear Deals
14 Picture Perfect Fall Hikes around Vancouver
Fall is the favourite hiking season for many. The annoying bugs are gone, the leaves are full of color, and the air is cool and crisp.
There are countless hikes around Vancouver that are suitable for hiking before the winter season comes. This isn’t an exhaustive list of all the fall hikes around Vancouver, but it’s a collection of our 14 favourites (plus a few extras).
(Mostly) Local Outdoor News
1. 'Very, very lucky' tourist rescued after night stranded on mountain cliff. @NS News
2. Rescuers praise hiker's preparedness after rescue on Indian Arm. @CBC
3. Two hikers rescued near Lions Bay. @NS News
4. Use caution with trail map applications. @Medium
5. North Shore mountains celebrate first snowfall. @NS News
6. The Best Hikes in Vancouver. @Happiest Outdoors
7. You can get fined $10,000 for creating a trail in B.C. @VIA
8. The Seymour Canyon Suspension Bridge opens to the public in November. @VIA
9. Headless bear dumped on rec trail infuriates locals. @CBC
10. Photos of bear being fed Timbits lead to wildlife charges for two. @Chek
11. Campers will be able to smoke cannabis at campsites in Canada’s national parks. @VIA
12. New Squamish Adventure Hubs offer amenities for trail users. @Squamish Chief
Book of the Month:
Easy Hiking around Vancouver: An All-Season Guide
The rain is settling in, and snow is starting to fall in the mountains. But that doesn't mean there is any shortage of hikeable trails around Vancouver. Easy Hiking around Vancouver: An All-Season Guide is a great resource to have for the shoulder seasons.
"Easy Hiking Around Vancouver is the indespensable guide to exploring Vancouver’s beautiful wilderness. Featuring sixty-eight superb hikes through forests, up hills and along rivers, many within an hour’s reach of downtown Vancouver, this updated and expanded edition once again provides full descriptions of trails and nature highlights, easy-to-follow maps, atmospheric photos and helpful indexes indicating duration and difficulty."
Many of the hikes in the book are of the shorter, and lower elevation variety, making them perfect for this time of year.
Read more about Easy Hiking around Vancouver here.
We compile the books we feature every month in our Book Store.
Elk Falls Hike in Campbell River
Elk Falls Provincial Park, on central Vancouver Island, is a popular destination. The main attractions are camping, salmon fishing, and an incredible 25-meter (89-foot) waterfall
Located near the town of Campbell River, Elk Falls is a great hike for families. The powerful waterfall and suspension bridge make for a fun outing, and the old-growth forest makes for a serene setting.
In 2015, an impressive suspension bridge was added to the park, just above Elk Falls. The suspension bridge opened on Elk Falls Provincial Park’s 75th anniversary.
Read the full guide for Elk Falls here
Current Gear Deals
Here are the gear deals going on this week:
- Up To 60% Off Past Seasons Styles
- Up To 60% Off Select Styles (Ends 10/31)
- Use Code: SORAFF60
Until next month!