|The Ski and Board Season is Here!
The mountains are all opening up for the winter season. Here's what you need to know!
Whistler Mountain open daily from 8:30am to 3pm. Blackcomb Mountain and the PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola open on Thursday November 28th.
Whistler Opening: Saturday, November 16
Current Snowbase: 65cm
Blackcomb Opening: Thursday, November 28
Olympic Park: Opened Nov 21
The Downhill area is scheduled to be open today with the Eagle Express Quad is operating from 9am - 4pm with Jasey Jay top to bottom, Upper Maelle Ricker and Panorama - top to bottom, wall to wall!
Opening Day: Wednesday, November 20 (Easy-Rider Chair and Cross-Country Area)
Current Snowbase (Mid Mtn): 33cm
Nordic Area: Currently Closed
Heaven's Sake, Peak & Greenway Chairs, Paradise and Paradise Jib Park are all open
Opening Date: Wednesday, November 20
Current Snowbase: 35cm
Alpine Park: Currently Closed
Opening Date: TBD - Projected Late November/ Early December
Current Snowbase (summit): 16cm
Discovery Snowshoe Trails: Currently Closed
Local Outdoors News
1. 'Ill-prepared' hikers plucked by helicopter from B.C. mountain. @CTV News
2. Man arrested in random stabbing on Grouse Mountain. @The Province
3. Search and Rescue urges extra caution for fall hikers. @News 1130
4. How to Kill Yourself Snowshoeing. @Oplopanax Horridus
5. NSMBA asks DNV for more parking and heated change room, perhaps. @North Shore Outlook
6. Photos: Vancouver Arctic explorers bringing climate change lessons home. @Metro News
7. Hanes Valley Trail – North Shore Trophy Hiking. @West Coast Discovered
8. Discovering the Depths of Vancouver's Scuba Diving Sites. @The Ubyssey
9. Mountain Bike Destinations off the Beaten Path – British Columbia. @mtb4her
10.North Shore trail projects truly labours of love.@The Province
11.More on Winter Parking at Mt. Seymour. @North Shore Hikers
12. Vancouver Bike Share Programs Hits Road Bump. @HuffPost BC
13.Vancouver Was Awesome: Siwash Rock Trees. @VIA
14. Vancouver Icons: Capilano Lake. @Miss 604
15. 23 Essential Winter Camping Hacks. @BuzzFeed
Holiday Gift Ideas for Adventure Lovers
If you're looking for a holiday gift for the adventure lover in your life, I'd recommend checking out Samba Days gift cards. They work like any gift card, except that instead of giving someone a card to go buy a consumer good at a store, you choose a theme pack (like Adventure, Getaway, Golf, Gourmet, etc), and the end user can choose from a big list of cool experiences they want to do in that theme. Its a really neat idea, and I think a better gift than regular gift cards (especially when studies have shown experiences make you happier than 'things'). If you're interested, Samba Days has sent over the promo code SSFriend, which you can use on the website to score 15% off, free shipping and a holiday gift box (think: already wrapped) on any online order until Dec 2nd.
I've used Samba Days gift cards before to go Surfing in Tofino
, and Bungee Jumping in Whistler
(videos and reviews of the experiences can be found at those links).
And if you're looking to get something for a book lover, there is currently a book giveaway
on the website for Climbing Fitz Roy, 1968
. The book tells the tale of a six-month excursion to Patagonia, Chile, that changed the lives of five rock climbers dubbed the "Funhogs"—Yvon Chouinard (founder of Patagonia), Doug Tompkins (founder of The North Face/Esprit), Dick Dorworth, Chris Jones and Lito Tejada-Flores. The 1968 Fitz Roy climb would impact the environmental movement and outdoor industry for years to come.