|In this newsletter:
- Mount Elphinstone Summit
- Outdoor News
- Blisters and Bliss
- Hiking with the Wildflowers at Sun Peaks
- Outtt Hiking Guide App
- Current Gear Deals
The Mount Elphinstone Summit
Mt. Elphinstone is a tall peak on the southern Sunshine Coast. The trained eye can pick out this summit from several Sea to Sky and Squamish hikes, such as The Chief.
At an elevation of 1,232 m and 13 km in distance, the Elphinstone Summit Trail offers a good challenge. But the trail is well-maintained and easy enough to follow that we rate it as moderate in difficulty.
Offering expansive views from the summit, Mount Elphinstone is the perfect day hike for anyone visiting the Sunshine Coast. Vancouver, Gibsons, Bowen Island, and much of Howe Sound can all be seen from the summit.
(Mostly) Local Outdoor News
1. Watch: Two daring helicopter rescues from Needle Peak. @Hope Standard
2. Body recovered of Burnaby man who drowned at Buntzen Lake. @Straight
3. Swim safety urged after 42 B.C. drownings. @TC News
4. Teen rescued after Lynn Canyon cliff jump goes awry. @NS News
5. Bear kills unleashed dog on Lynn Loop trail. @CTV
6. Two-minute video explains the new reality of B.C. wildfire season. @NW Record
7. Officers issued $14,950 in campfire ban tickets near Squamish in single weekend. @VIA
8. Researchers map ‘awe-inspiring’ underwater mountains off B.C. coast. @VIA
9. Pemberton wants B.C. government to consider reservation fees for some hiking trails. @CBC
10. Control 'crazy' summer crowds in regional parks, mayor tells Metro Vancouver. @CBC
11. Second black bear of the year destroyed due to human conflict. @Pique
12. SPRAY: Simple advice for using bear repellent in a can. @CBC
Book of the Month
Blisters and Bliss: A Trekker’s Guide to the West Coast Trail
The West Coast Trail. It’s a bucket-lister for hikers from all over the globe.
The West Coast Trail is open to hikers from May 1 to September 30 each year. The trail is unsafe to hike the remainder of the year due to heavy storms. Permits must be secured to hike the trail, and the best dates sell out quickly in January when reservations open.
If the WCT hiking season is almost over, why are we looking at this book now, you ask? Well, because if you want any chance of doing this hike in 2019, you better start preparing now. And Blisters and Bliss is a terrific book to help you do just that.
At 135 pages, the book is thin enough to not be intimidating, but packs enough valuable information to be well worth the investment. There are route descriptions for every segment of the trail, and campsite recommendations for different treks lasting 5, 6, and 7 nights (north-to-south and vise-versa). And maybe best of all, the entire book is hilariously illustrated.
Blisters and Bliss has been a WCT preparation favorite for over 30 years, and is currently in it's 9th edition (2018).
Check out and order Blisters and Bliss: A Trekker’s Guide to the West Coast Trail.
And if you're interested in hiking the WCT, make sure you check out our guide.
We compile the books we feature every month in our Book Store.
Hiking with the Wildflowers at Sun Peaks Resort
With so much hiking around Vancouver, we don’t often get out of our bubble here. But some hiking destinations are worth the trip, and Sun Peaks is one of those places
we recently discovered. Just a four hour drive from Vancouver, Sun Peaks makes for a nice weekend escape from the city – and the hiking is incredible!
We recently went up to Sun Peaks to check out the annual Alpine Blossom Festival and hike the lift-access trails they have to offer.
Check out the full story from our trip.
More hiking guides in the Outtt app!
A few months ago we added a few of our hiking guides to the Outtt platform
. The response was really positive, so we've worked with the Outtt team to add more!
What is Outtt? Outtt is a really slick free app for Android and iOS that lets you:
- Follow your position on the map as you move along our marked trails.
- Download maps so they’re available when you’re offline.
- Record your hikes and add photos and notes to keep a journal of your adventures.
- Share your adventures with friends.
We now have 10 hikes in the Outtt app
. Have you used the app yet? If so, we'd love your feedback! Hit reply to this email and let us know what you think. Should we add more of our hikes into the app?
Check out the site and app
Current Gear Deals
Here are the gear deals going on this week:
- Labour Day Week Sale Event - New sale added daily until September 3
- Labour Day Sale - Up To 60% Off Past Seasons Styles
- Extra 20% Off $50+ Outlet Purchase until September 3
Until next month!