|In this newsletter:
- Be More Pacific
- Outdoor News
- Book of the Month
- Whyte Lake Hike in West Van
- Black Friday Gear Deals
New Tees, Longsleeves, Sweaters, Multiwraps and a Black Friday deal!
Raglan Special Blend Crew
What better place to live than the Pacific Northwest?
From Oregon up the B.C. coast, the PNW is home to the world’s largest temperate rainforest ecoregion, and is one of the most beautiful places on earth.
We love the PNW, and think everyone should be a little more pacific. To that end, this week we launched new Be More Pacific tees, longsleeves and raglan sweaters!
We also launched new multiwraps this week!
Summer or winter, multiwraps are essential hiking gear. They work to keep you comfortable against the elements, whether it’s windy, sunny, dusty or bitter cold.
This multi-purpose headwear adapts to your needs, style or the temperature.
They make great stocking stuffers, and best of all we have a Black Friday sale going from today until Monday.
Everything in the Outdoor Vancouver shop is 20% off! Just use promo code 'friday20' at checkout.
Check out everything available in store here.
$1 from every shirt sale goes to support the Take a Hike Youth at Risk Foundation here in Vancouver, and helps support us to keep the site going - thank you in advance for any purchases you make!
(Mostly) Local Outdoor News
1. Hiker saved after 8 days on dangerous Indian Arm route. @NS News
2. How a 3-page trip plan helped save a lone hiker. @VIA
3. Hiker thanks firefighters, Good Samaritans after weekend rescue. @CTV
4. North Shore Rescue warns hikers of icy mountain conditions. @Global
5. Where the heck is Dog Mountain? How smartphone maps can lead hikers astray. @CBC
6. Coquitlam SAR praises hikers rescued from Burke Mountain. @Global
7. Firefighters conduct rope rescue of hikers stranded on Mount Finlayson. @CTV
8. Landslide hits parking lot at Grouse Mountain. @CTV
9. Dogs squeezed out of B.C.'s outdoors as new bans introduced. @CBC
10. Dry pattern to spell shortened 2018-19 ski season. @VIA
11. Canada's 24,000 km Great Trail is Finally Complete. @Adventure Blog
Book of the Month:
Backcountry Avalanche Safety
If you plan to get out in the mountains this winter, it's vital you understand the risks involved.
While reading a book is by no means going to make you an avalanche safety expert, it is a good starting point, and may help you realize what you don't know. Taking an in-person Avalanche Safety Training course is your best bet to be fully prepared, but Backcountry Avalanche Safety can be a handy companion to AST, or an educational starting point.
"In spite of the increasing sophistication of avalanche hazard forecasting, an alarming number of people die every year in backcountry avalanche accidents. This updated edition of Backcountry Avalanche Safety contains the latest information on avalanche risk and focuses on the following vital topics:
•Snow and Snowpack
•Types of Avalanches
•Travel in Avalanche Terrain
•Riding Steep Slopes
Read more about Avalanche Safety Training book here.
We compile the books we feature every month in our Book Store.
Whyte Lake Hike in West Vancouver
in West Vancouver is a popular and easy hike. The short trail travels up through the beautiful Nelson Canyon and ends at a small lake.
Whyte Lake has a quaint dock and is a nice spot for swimming in the summer. The trail to the lake follows Nelson and Whyte Creeks. The forest is serene, full of towering trees.
It’s a great hike year-round. As there is no panoramic viewpoint, yet the forest is scenic, it’s a great hike for cloudy or rainy days. Whyte Lake is a terrific option for a family outing.
Read the full guide for Whyte Lake here
Black Friday Gear Deals
Lots of great deals to be had this weekend for Black Friday - time to gear up for the winter!
- 25% Off Almost Everything, 50% Off Door Busters and Free Shipping over $99
- Use Code: SHIP99
- They also have a Holiday gift guide
- 25% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping
- 20% Off Retail Web Orders
- Use Code: BLACKFRIDAY
- 25% Off Select Items Plus Free Shipping
- Up To 40% Off Over +350 Brands + Up to 60% Off Select Styles
- Includes Arc'teryx, Icebreaker, Fjallraven and more
Outdoor Vancouver Shop
- Cyber Week Deals on Outdoor Gear
- 20% off everything!
- Use Code: friday20
Until next month!