Hiking Tunnel Bluffs
Tunnel Bluffs, near the town of Lions Bay, is a great hike that flies under the radar compared to many of the other nearby trails. The trail to Tunnel Bluffs is steep, with many nice viewpoints along the way to the final lookout. From Tunnel Bluffs, you have an unbeatable view of Howe Sound and its many islands.
Best of all, it's a great fall hike as the bluffs are at about 700 m elevation, and likely won't see snow for a while yet.
The full guide and video are here:
(Mostly) Local Outdoors News
1. North Shore Rescue teams 'run off their feet'. @NS News
2. German hiker rescued from Grouse Mountain. @CTV News
3. North Shore Rescue seeing spike in calls during long weekend. @CBC News
4. Whistler-area grizzly sighting prompts warnings for hikers. @Times Colonist
5. Toddler recovering from cougar attack. @Global News
6. Terry Fox’s siblings to hike namesake mountain. @Van Sun
7. North Vancouver trail saboteur pleads guilty to mischief on Fromme. @NS News
8. Dreams of a trail network above Chilliwack. @Chilliwack Progress
9. Ironworkers Bridge sidewalks re-open with double the space for cyclists and pedestrians. @Georgia Straight
10. Search called off for missing White Rock man. @NS News
11. ‘We made a mistake’: Unprepared hikers rescued on North Shore. @CTV News
12. Your Favourite Hiking Trails on Vancouver Island. @Explore BC
13. 10 awe-inspiring B.C. hikes to do before you die. @Georgia Straight
14. Top 5 Easy Hikes Near Victoria. @Travel BC
15. Your Top Hiking Trails Around Vancouver. @Explore BC
16. Adventures in Elk Falls Provincial Park on Vancouver Island. @Explore BC
17. Drone video captures beauty of British Columbia in 4K. @Vancity Buzz
18. Dry Hot Canadian Summer: A Summary of BC’s Forest Fires. @VIA
19. A North Shore resident’s ode to the BC wild. @Explore BC
20. Hiking the Incredible Sunshine Coast Trail. @Explore Mag
21. Coquitlam SAR had three rescues in a week. @Coq SAR
We took a bit of a hiatus from BC Hike Chat over the summer but we were back with a great chat last Sunday. We talked about everyone's 'summer review and fall preview' for hiking. The next chat is this Sunday, Oct 3, and we're talking about 'hidden gems'. Review the last chat and get details on joining the next one at the link here:
Panorama Ridge - Revised
If you have time to get up there before the snow flies, the guide for Panorama Ridge has been revised, with new photos, a video, and expanded route description. This is one of my all-time favorite hikes around Vancouver, for obvious reasons.
Until next month!