This newsletter is being sent out by the staff at the Dane County Veterans Service Office. We are trying to provide more ways to inform veterans with resources and other current events. In our effort we will be sending out a monthly newsletter. If you wish to not receive any future newsletters either click unsubscribe at the bottom of the newsletter or email us to let us know you would like to be taken off the newsletter list. If you know of any other individuals or entities that would benefit from receiving this newsletter send us their information or forward this to them. We have recently started a new webpage: www.danevets.com. This will provide all of our office information as well as other resources to use as a veteran. Our office also now has a general email, which will allow for veterans to send questions to:
If there are events that you would like to share with us, please contact us with the details either via email or phone. We look forward to creating a more interactive relationship between Dane County Veterans!
Click on links below to find out more information about each event!
August 1-5, 2012
• WDVA WVH-King, Bicycling Veterans Northeast, AMVETS: King Tour, a bicycle tour fundraiser for the Wisconsin Veterans Home
August 2, 2012
• Center for Independent Living for Western Wisconsin, Community Agencies: Veterans Transportation Summit at LCO Casino Lodge & Convention Center in Hayward
August 4, 2012
• Alliant Energy, First Weber Foundation: Lake Ride 2012 to raise funds for the Wounded Warrior Project begins at Lucky's Bar and Grille at 9:00 a.m.
August 7, 2012 PURPLE HEART DAY
August 11, 2012
• Stars and Stripes Honor Flight, WE Energies: Field of Honor at Miller Park in Milwaukee at 3:30 p.m.
August 16, 2012
• WDVA, Dept. of Workforce Development, Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve and American Legion: Veterans Career and Benefits Fair at Madison Area Technical College in Watertown
August 17-19, 2012
• Vets Journey Home: Vets Journey Home weekend to be held at the Center for Creative Learning in Milwaukee
August 18, 2012
• WDVA WVH-King & VFW & Auxiliary: Schiebe & Munro King Day at the Wisconsin Veterans Home at King
• Brown County Veterans Recognition Committee: Military/Veterans Appreciation Day at the Brown County Fair. Free Admission from Noon to 8:00 p.m.
August 25, 2012
• Doc Dentice: 7th annual "Fishing with the Disabled Vets" daylong event, with fishing from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., at the “Lure U Inn” public boat launch area in Wind Lake
“Office Outreach Opportunities”
Our very own Dan Connery, Deputy Veterans Service Officer, and his son, Kieran, were at the Saris - Ride to Recovery Picnic this past month and were able to meet Salvatore Guinta, Medal of Honor recipient. The Medal of Honor is the highest military award and Mr. Guinta was the first living service member to be presented with this award since Vietnam.
This past month we were also able to meet with many veterans to discuss benefits and resources at the Dane County Fair. We will be having another large veterans night out coming up in November. More information to come about this event.
"Camp Yellow Ribbon"
Camp Yellow Ribbon
August 13-17, 2012
Join us at Camp Yellow Ribbon for another week of fun and adventure!
Children ages 7-14 are welcome
Indian Mound Reservation
36712 Indian Mound Rd.
Oconomowoc, WI 53036
Easter Seals Camp Yellow Ribbon is still accepting applications until August 8th for a week-long camp for military children. The goal of this specialized camp is to help children learn how to cope with the challenges of having a family member who is deployed or has returned from overseas.
Camp Yellow Ribbon provides children with emotional support facilitated through activities like: fishing, hiking, swimming, archery, and bonfires.
For more information, or to download an application, please visit our website or contact Dan Anderson at 414-482-0133.
We hope that you will pass this on to families that would benefit from respite and this great camp experience! Don't forget to register by the 8/8/2012 deadline!
"New Facebook & Web Page"
Creating more ways to connect with other veterans and share events, resources, and job opportunities with one another. There is also the new ability to submit questions to us via Facebook or our webpage allowing for more ways to interact with our office.
VA Hospital - 2500 Overlook Terrace, Madison 10:00-4:00pm Wednesdays
Dry Hootch - 8017 Excelsior Drive Madison 12:00-4:00pm Thursdays
MATC/Madison College Truax Campus - 3550 Anderson Street, Madison 8:00-11:00am Tuesdays
Summit Credit Union, Sun Prairie - 1333 West Main, Sun Prairie 12:30-4:30pm
Stoughton Senior Center - 248 West Main, Stoughton 8:30-4:00pm Fridays
River Valley Bank - (Wisconsin Heart Building), 2601 West Beltline Hwy, Suite 104, Madison 8:30-4:00pm Every 1st Monday of each month
UW-Madison - 333 East Campus Mall, Madison 12:00-4:00pm Thursdays during Fall/Spring academic terms
John Bird Accounting - Black Earth, WI 12:00-4:00pm Every 4th Friday
UPDATED CALENDAR - CLICK HERE
Wounded Warrior Project
Wisconsin Department of Veteran Affairs
UW Madison - Vets for Vets
Women Veterans of Wisconsin
Meet people who have been there at AboutFace. Learn about PTSD and hear advice from Veterans who lived with PTSD and want to help others:
"I wanted my old self back. I’ve gotten that and more."
Even if you are not a Veteran, find people you can relate to.
Learn what to expect after trauma and how to manage stress reactions in our Self-Help and Coping section, which includes the course Considering Professional Help and more.
Get connected with health and community services for everyday needs and in times of crisis. Just dial 2-1-1. Most US States have a 211 Information and Referral line.
Up to five years following deployment a Veteran can obtain free VA PTSD care without PTSD claims approval. Find similar advice from: