Thanks to your support, in the first week of our campaign we have raised just over Â£30,000! (including offline donations and gift aid)
In Nepal, our team and local partners have been helping to provide immediate support whilst planning for the future.
Short-term, our partners have been involved in the relief effort:
- Providing food, accommodation, medical care, counselling and referral support to those arriving from decimated villages.
- Helping to administer and organise the influx of patients at a hospital in Pokhara.
- Sending trained counsellors to provide psychological first aid to the worst affected areas
- Sending a medical and support team up to Gorkha.
- Delivering urgent resources such as tents, blankets and food to those who have not yet been reached.
We are also engaged in supporting our partners in preparing for the long-term:
- Whilst in Ghorka distributing supplies, one of our team also carried out a needs assessment to enable us to better plan long-term support.
- Together with local NGOs and the District Child Welfare Board, we are preparing for the arrival of displaced families and children migrating from some of the devastated villages.
- We are training other organisations and frontline workers in child protection protocols and 'psychological first aid' to enable wider support for children whose families and homes have been affected by the earthquake.
- We are agreeing the most appropriate ways to rapidly identify children who, through their tragic losses, are at increased risk from sexual exploitation, trafficking, child labour, violence and abuse.
Once again, an enormous thank you to those of you who have donated to our appeal so far and a plea to those of you who havenâ€™t, to do so soon. Also, please continue to persuade as many family, friends and colleagues as possible to help as well.
A special thank you goes out to those supporters who are holding events to fundraise for this appeal. If you are able to do the same please call us on 020 7017 8989 or reply to this email.
CEO of Kidasha