Gati Shakti Launch
Prime Minister Modi launched the Rs 100 lakh crore Gati Shakti Plan yesterday.
We've covered this earlier when he first spoke about it on Independence Day, but now that it's officially launched, we got some more deets.
What's Happening Here?
Giving out incentives to manufacture stuff is good, but to become a part of the global supply chain you also need good infrastructure across the country. And that seems to be the hope of this plan.
The plan is to build out the infrastructure to reduce logistic costs and boost the economy.
Rs 100 lakh cr has been allotted to this.
The PM also announced how they hope to do things quickly rather than the usual 'sarkari' standard time by connecting all concerned departments on one platform.
A digital platform has been created which will unite 16 ministries for integrated planning and implementation of infra connectivity projects.
Under the plan, by 2024 the aim is to have:
- 11 industrial corridors and 2 new defence corridors in Tamil Nadu and UP.
- 4G connectivity in all villages
- Creation of 220 new airports, heliports and water aerodromes
- Increased renewable energy capacity of 225 GW from 88 GW
- Expanded national highway network of 2 lakh km
- 17,000 km additional gas pipeline and more
All this sounds great but as it always is with these kinds of things, planning is all well and good, everything depends on implementation.