2535-A Madison Street Clarksville, TN 37043 931-919-k1p1 (5171)
Monday - Closed
Tuesday & Wednesday - 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Thursday - 10:00 am to 8:00 pm
Friday & Saturday - 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Sunday - 12:00 noon to 4:00 pm
Introducing the 2017
Yarn Asylum PhD Program.
How many times have you thought about finishing your PhD? Some of you are probably saying that you never even started it, but it's not too late.
At Yarn Asylum - PhD has a special meaning. PhD = Projects Half Done.
You know the ones I am referring to. The "pair" of socks that is missing a mate. The sweater that just needs a couple sleeves and it is done. The scarf/shawl/hat/cowl pattern that you fell in love with - maybe even got the pattern and yarn - and then put it aside to work on "someday".
It is time to pull out those projects and get them finished! We are here to encourage and inspire you to complete 10 projects in 2017!
Here is how the PhD Program/Challenge works:
How to Participate:
1. Come into the shop and register for the Challenge.
2. Fill out your assignment list of 10 projects you would like to complete in 2017. (Forms are available in the shop or can be emailed to you for completion.) The projects can be knitting, crocheting, weaving or a combination of any and all.
3. Please be specific on what you need to complete on each project to make it FINISHED.
Syllabus & Curriculum:
1. On the first Saturday of each month, we will meet at Yarn Asylum at 11:00 am. I will pick a random number between 1 and 10. (I will also email that number to all the PhD Program participants and post it on our Facebook page.)
2. You need to finish the project on your list that corresponds with that number by the next month's meeting.
3. Bring your completed project to the PhD Program Show & Tell meeting on the first Saturday of the next month. You will have the opportunity to show off your project and receive praise & accolades from your fellow undergrads.
4. At the end of the year, you will have 10 completed projects for yourself or to give as Holiday gifts!
Awards and Promotions:
1. Everyone who brings in a completed project to the monthly Show & Tell meeting will receive an entry into our monthly scholarship pool. (The monthly scholarship will be provided by Yarn Asylum and will include items such as notions, patterns, yarn and other fiber goodness.) In order to receive an entry, your project must be completed on time and you must bring it by the shop so we can record it as complete. It is not mandatory to attend every monthly Show & Tell meetup, but why miss the fun and excitement??
2. Each entry stays in the scholarship pool and counts towards the Grand Prize Diploma at the end of the year. The more projects you complete on time, the more chances you will get to win the Grand Prize.
3. At each meeting, we will have coupons and special sales for all participants!
The Grand Prize Diploma:
I will present the winner of the final drawing a $100 Gift Prescription to Yarn Asylum!
If you don't have 10 Projects Half Done - you can still participate in the challenge!
Make a list of 10 projects that you would like to finish in 2017. This is an excellent way to start working on your Holiday gifts early! Your list can be a combination of projects that you have already started and those you would like to start/finish.
Due to the nature of the random drawing, it is best to not include projects that you have assigned a deadline to finish. Don't put the afghan for Aunt Gladys on your list and hope to complete it for her birthday in June. That project number might not be drawn until after June!
You might have a long term project in mind. Perhaps one that will take you more than 1 month to complete. That is okay also. Just list the project as separate number entries. You will work on the project during the months those numbers are pulled. For example - you would like to make a shawl and you know it will take you 2 months to knit it up. You could put it on your list as #3 and #4. When those numbers are drawn, you will work on completing half of the project during that month and complete the project during the month the other number is drawn. As long as you complete half the project during the month, it is still eligible for the entry into the monthly drawing.
Rules of Play
I don't like making rules, but we know we need them to be fair.
Please don't include items on your list that you know you can complete in a couple hours. This is a challenge to get those larger projects done. If you just need to put buttons on a sweater and it is complete - that is not the project for this program. If you just need to bind off a scarf or finish a couple rows on your cowl - we will encourage you to get those little tasks done. But they are not appropriate projects for this challenge.
We all like to win prizes, but this challenge is not built on seeing how many entries you can get into the Grand Prize drawing. I am sure you understand what I mean. If not, please ask and I will provide further clarification.
Our goal is to stretch ourselves to excel and our mission is to encourage each other along the way. Let's have a lot of fun along the way!
This is NOT an instructional program. It is strictly for encouragement, friendship, inspiration, and fun. You might have projects that you are stuck on and need some assistance to get back on track. If someone is here and able to help - that is a bonus - but completely optional. If not, you can sign up for a class or individual instruction time.
Ready to start?
Begin by looking through your tote bags, your Ravelry queue, your closets, your drawers, under your bed, on top of the refrigerator and anywhere else you might stash your fiber goods.
Identify the projects that you want to complete!
Fill out the PhD Program/Challenge Form and bring it to Yarn Asylum by Saturday, February 4, 2017.
Yarn Asylum 2017 PhD Program Schedule
Saturday, February 4, 2017 (1st project number drawn)
Saturday, March 4, 2017 (1st project complete Show & Tell)
Saturday, April 1, 2017 (2nd project complete Show & Tell)
Saturday, May 6, 2017 (3rd project complete Show & Tell)
Saturday, June 3, 2017 (4th project complete Show & Tell)
Saturday, July 1, 2017 (5th project complete Show & Tell)
Saturday, August 5, 2017 (6th project complete Show & Tell)
Saturday, September 2, 2017 (7th project complete Show & Tell)
Saturday, October 7, 2017 (8th project complete Show & Tell)
Saturday, November 4, 2017 (9th project complete Show & Tell)
Graduation & Grand Prize Diploma Drawing:
Saturday, December 2, 2017 (10th project complete Show & Tell)