New year, new music!
I hope that all our musicians and their families have enjoyed the holidays and I wish you all the very best in this new year! We will be back to our Regular Lessons schedule beginning this Saturday, Jan 4th and continuing into next week. Same days, same times for Private Lessons and Group Classes. Our private students have a few weeks left to polish their songs for the Solo Recital on Sat, Jan 18th and our band/orchestra members will be preparing for our biggest event of the year, coming up in March: Strings Fest! Private students will also learn a song or two this term to join the groups at this incredible event. Your teacher will let you know which ensemble you'll be joining so you can attend the dress rehearsal in February, and an additional group class or 2 if you'd like, too. Our Spring term is already booked up, too, so scroll below to make a note of all of our upcoming special events and holiday closures. I can't wait to see everyone again this week!
Strings Fest 2020: Celebrating Black Composers
This year our Strings Fest theme is Celebrating Black Composers and we will be learning a variety of great music by artists you may be familiar with already, and others about whom we will all have the opportunity to learn in rehearsal and at the awesome concert in Mohawk College's beautiful auditorium. We will be joined once again by college and professional musicians on percussion, piano, wind instruments, and vocals. I hope everyone will save the date for this very special show! Admission is free, though there will be a small fee of $10 per musician to help cover event costs.
Inclement Weather Policy
The studio will be open for all regular classes and rehearsals throughout the winter. If you do not feel safe to drive, please send a text or email to advise of your/your child's absence. It is easier for me to hold classes than to monitor conditions and contact everyone. Please make your own decision. Unfortunately the back lot is often a mess in snowy/icy conditions. Please be reminded that you are always welcome to walk around to the front entrance off Upper James as the sidewalks are typically drier.
Our annual fundraiser helps to cover the maintenance, cleaning, repair and replacement costs of the 100+ beautiful string instruments we loan to our students for free at Bel Canto. I hope that every family will find a way to support the studio.This year we will be pre-ordering Hooded Sweatshirts, as well as selling World's Finest Chocolate almonds, Assorted Laura Secord chocolate bars (nut-free), and photo gift cards. More information to come!
- Sat, Jan 4: Winter Term begins. All lessons and classes resume.
- Sat, Jan 18: Private Students Recital @ Central Library (55 York Blvd)
in the Hamilton Room. Free. A performer's list is posted in the studio.
12:00-1:00pm younger performers.
1:00-2:00pm more advanced players.
- Friday, Jan 24: Chamber Strings to perform at HPL Central for the Power of the Pen literary awards, 6-7pm. Please arrive for 5:30. Concert dress. Free.
- Mon, Feb 24: Senior Guitar Band to arrive for 6:30-7:30pm to play with the Intro class.
- Thurs, Feb 27: Strings Fest dress rehearsals at Mohawk's MPAC theatre - ALL musicians, group class and private students. Rehearsals 4:30-9pm, TBD.
- Mon, Mar 2 & 9: Senior Guitar Band to arrive for 6:30-7:30pm to play with the Intro class.
- Friday, March 6: Chamber Strings to perform at HPL Central for the Noon-Hour Concert series. 12pm-1pm. Free.
- Wed, March 11: STRINGS FEST 2020: Celebrating Black Composers 6:30-8:00pm (ALL Bel Canto musicians, group class and private students) at Mohawk College MPAC theatre. Performers to arrive for 6pm. Free!
- Sat, April 4: Chamber Strings Tomorrow's Headliners performance @ Melrose United. 8pm. Tickets are $14/advance and $18/door OR Two for $35. The other performers are a Jazz trio, a Classical Guitar duo, a Musical Theatre singer, a Rock singer, and a singer-songwriter.
- April, TBD: Hamilton Music Festival.
- Sat, May 23: Adult Strings performance at Turner Park Library 2-3pm. Free.
- June, date TBD: Senior Orchestra + Senior Guitar Band performance for Hamilton Arts Week.
- Tues, June 2 - Intro Guitar and Beginner Violin/Cello Solo Performances at Bel Canto Studio, 6:10-7:10. Free.
- Thurs, June 4 - Junior Orchestra Solo Performances at Bel Canto Studio. Free.
- Saturday, June 20 - Private Students recital, Details TBA.
- BCMC 2020 Summer Music Camp - July 6-10 and 13-17 for kids aged 9-14. Aug 10-14 and 17-20 for kids aged 6-12. Registration is due by June 15th. Early bird savings for those who enroll by April 15th!
- Mon, Feb 17 - Family Day. No Guitar Bands or Group Classes.
- Tues, Mar 10 - No Beginner Violin/Cello this night before Strings Fest.
- Thurs, Mar 12 - No Senior Orchestra or Junior Orchestra this night after StringsFest.
- March 16- 20 - March Break. No Group Classes, incl Adult Strings. Regular Private lessons.
- Mon, Apr 13 - Easter. No Guitar Bands. Regular Private Lessons.
- Mon, May 18 - Victoria Day. No Guitar Bands. Regular Private lessons.
- Wed, June 3 - No Beginner Violin/Cello. Beginners to attend on Tues, June 2.
- June 1-5: Final group class rehearsals/performances of the year. Group programs resume in September. Please return your enrollment form for Sept 2020 by May 16 to reserve your place in the ensemble and keep your instrument over the summer.