We're off and running!
The winter term is going great, and all the ensembles are are preparing for our biggest event of the year, coming up on Wed, March 11: Strings Fest! The dress rehearsal takes place in just two weeks, on Thurs, Feb 27. Please return your FORM confirming your attendance at rehearsal and show. Our Spring term is already booked up, too, so scroll below to make a note of all of our upcoming special events and holiday closures.
Note: there are no lessons on Monday, Feb 17. Happy Family Day!
Strings Fest 2020: Celebrating Black Composers
This year our Strings Fest theme is Celebrating Black Composers and we are learning a variety of great music by wonderful artists. We will be joined y Mohawk College Music professor Dusty Mikale, and his ensemble Art Pop as well as professional vocalist Miss Fly and pianist Christabel Pinto. I hope everyone will save the date for this very special show! Admission is free so please invite your friends and family!
Dress Rehearsals: Thurs, Feb 27
Plan to arrive at LEAST 15 minutes BEFORE your rehearsal time to find your way into the theatre and get set-up and tuned. Wear your concert BLACK & WHITE dress for photos!
- 5:30-6:30 Chamber Strings (try to stay as late as possible)
- 6:30-7:30 All Guitarists, Beginner Violin/Cello, Junior Orchestra
- 7:30-8:30 Senior Orchestra and Adult Strings
Concert: Wed, March 11
- 5:00 Chamber Arrives
- 6:00 All other musicians arrive (in Concert Black & White dress!)
- 6:30-8pm Concert!
- Mon, Feb 24: Senior Guitar Band to arrive for 6:30-7:30pm to play with the Intro class.
- Thurs, Feb 27: Strings Fest dress rehearsals at Mohawk's MPAC theatre. See above.
- Mon, Mar 2 & 9: Senior Guitar Band to arrive for 6:30-7:30pm to play with the Intro class.
- Friday, March 6: Chamber Strings to perform at HPL Central for the Noon-Hour Concert series. 12pm-1pm. Free.
- Wed, March 11: STRINGS FEST 2020: Celebrating Black Composers 6:30-8:00pmat Mohawk College MPAC theatre. Performers to arrive for 6pm. Free!
- Sat, April 4: Chamber Strings Tomorrow's Headliners performance @ Melrose United. 8pm. Tickets are $14/advance and $18/door OR Two for $35. The other performers are a Jazz trio, Classical Guitar duo, Musical Theatre singer, Rock singer, and singer-songwriter.
- Thurs, April 2: Chamber Strings @ Guelph Kiwanis Music Festival
- Sat, May 23: Adult Strings performance at Turner Park Library 2-3pm. Free.
- June, date TBD: Senior Orchestra + Senior Guitar Band performance for Hamilton Arts Week.
- Tues, June 2 - Intro Guitar and Beginner Violin/Cello Solo Performances at Bel Canto Studio, 6:10-7:10. Free.
- Thurs, June 4 - Junior Orchestra Solo Performances at Bel Canto Studio. Free.
- Saturday, June 20 - Private Students recital, Details TBA.
- BCMC 2020 Summer Music Camp - July 6-10 and 13-17 for kids aged 9-14. Aug 10-14 and 17-20 for kids aged 6-12. Registration is due by June 15th. Early bird savings for those who enroll by April 15th!
Summer Music Camp
- Mon, Feb 17 - Family Day. No Guitar Bands or Group Classes.
- Tues, Mar 10 - No Beginner Violin/Cello this night before Strings Fest.
- Thurs, Mar 12 - No Senior Orchestra or Junior Orchestra this night after StringsFest.
- March 16- 20 - March Break. No Group Classes, incl Adult Strings. Regular Private lessons.
- Mon, Apr 13 - Easter. No Guitar Bands. Regular Private Lessons.
- Mon, May 18 - Victoria Day. No Guitar Bands. Regular Private lessons.
- Wed, June 3 - No Beginner Violin/Cello. Beginners to attend on Tues, June 2.
- June 1-5: Final group class rehearsals/performances of the year. Group programs resume in September. Please return your enrollment form for Sept 2020 by May 16 to reserve your place in the ensemble and keep your instrument over the summer.
BCMC 2020 is open for registration! Visit the website for more info and to download a form.
Inclement Weather Policy
The studio will be open for all regular classes and rehearsals throughout the winter. If you do not feel safe to drive, please send a text or email to advise of your/your child's absence. It is easier for me to hold classes than to monitor conditions and contact everyone. Please make your own decision. Unfortunately the back lot is often a mess in snowy/icy conditions. Please be reminded that you are always welcome to walk around to the front entrance off Upper James as the sidewalks are typically drier.
Our annual fundraiser helps to cover the maintenance, cleaning, repair and replacement costs of the 100+ beautiful string instruments we loan to our students for free at Bel Canto. I hope that every family will find a way to support the studio.This year we will be pre-ordering Hooded Sweatshirts, as well as selling World's Finest Chocolate almonds, Assorted Laura Secord chocolate bars (nut-free), and photo gift cards. More information to come!